In-Person vs Remote Schooling Selections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-Person vs Remote Schooling Selections

Just curious to see what people are choosing, and to see if there are any correlations to demographics like location (Big City vs Suburb vs Rural or N/C/S/E/WTX, etc.). If your ISD gave parents the choice between in-person and remote schooling options for at least the first grading period, what was the split in selections?

I've seen results for Frisco ISD (47% In-Person vs. 44% Remote), and below are the results for Allen ISD (44.5% In-Person, 49.4% Remote). Both were pretty close to 50/50 splits. Curious if this is consistent across the board.

Post-em if you got-em!

Click image for larger version

Name:	AISD_In-Home-vs-Remote.png
Views:	28
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	538113

Rural area. Heavy split between generational wealth (ranch, oil) and poverty (agriculture workers). From what I understand it is looking like an 85-15% split with most sending their kids. Unfortunately, this small size anecdote I’m seeing is that the 15% are mostly the parents who are just too lazy to get their kids to school. Very few staying home because of legitimate sickness concern, but a few whose kids have bad asthma or other legit medical problems are, which is for the best. Very discouraging that the kids who need help the most will likely fall even more behind and widen the gap. The teachers and high achievers will also suffer trying to accommodate all of these.
    Last edited by OakTreeOut-n-Up; 07-30-2020, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OakTreeOut-n-Up View Post
      Rural area. Heavy split between generational wealth (ranch, oil) and poverty (agriculture workers). From what I understand it is looking like an 85-15% split with most sending their kids. Unfortunately, this small size anecdote I’m seeing is that the 15% are mostly the parents who are just too lazy to get their kids to school. Very few staying home because of legitimate sickness concern, but a few whose kids have bad asthma or other legit medical problems are, which is for the best. Very discouraging that the kids who need help the most will likely fall even more behind and widen the gap. The teachers and high achievers will also suffer trying to accommodate all of these.
      COVID #'s fairly low in your area too?

Comment

Where are you located? Did I buy a calf from you one time?
        Show a people as one thing, only one thing, over and over again, and that is what they become.
        Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Comment

Originally posted by bwgophers View Post
          Just curious to see what people are choosing, and to see if there are any correlations to demographics like location (Big City vs Suburb vs Rural or N/C/S/E/WTX, etc.). If your ISD gave parents the choice between in-person and remote schooling options for at least the first grading period, what was the split in selections?

I've seen results for Frisco ISD (47% In-Person vs. 44% Remote), and below are the results for Allen ISD (44.5% In-Person, 49.4% Remote). Both were pretty close to 50/50 splits. Curious if this is consistent across the board.

Post-em if you got-em!

Click image for larger version  Name:	AISD_In-Home-vs-Remote.png Views:	12 Size:	230.7 KB ID:	538113
          What is the breakdown of move-ins that will do at-home (and by at-home that means they can stay at their house in Lewisville or whatever trailer or apartment they're staying at in Allen) or in-person "learning"? Some of these kids won't even show up until the first day of practice so they obviously have not made a selection yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Leatherneck View Post

What is the breakdown of move-ins that will do at-home or in-person "learning"? I realize some of these kids won't even show up until the first day of practice so they obviously have not made a selection yet.
            That's the 925 "no selections". Those are our out of town move-in football players who we never actually make attend classes. Mainly because we don't want to burden them with having to drive all the way to Allen from their homes in Plano for anything other than practice. Kyler was a different breed... he made the daily drive from Lewisville voluntarily...

Comment

COVID #'s fairly low in your area too?
              Official numbers very low. I do believe quite a few have had it and just stayed home, though, too. Rural people definitely handle things like this a little differently than other places I’ve lived.

Comment

Official numbers very low. I do believe quite a few have had it and just stayed home, though, too. Rural people definitely handle things like this a little differently than other places I’ve lived.
                Not surprising. It's pretty clear COVID has hit different parts of TX in very different ways, and it would be logical to me that the attitude and approach towards sending kids back to school will be different based on that.

Comment

Not surprising. It's pretty clear COVID has hit different parts of TX in very different ways, and it would be logical to me that the attitude and approach towards sending kids back to school will be different based on that.
                  And it really should be different.

Here most people have dozens of acres of property, not .25 acre lots, and the whole town put together in the HS auditorium wouldn’t look nearly as packed an average between-class hallway at one of the Plano High Schools.

Comment

And it really should be different.

Here most people have dozens of acres of property, not .25 acre lots, and the whole town put together in the HS auditorium wouldn’t look nearly as packed as an average between-class hallway at one of the Plano High Schools.
                    Or at Allen High School

Comment

I’ve got that same belt!

Comment

Working...
                      X