Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chosing ONLINE Instruction Disqualifies This ISD's Students from ALL UIL Activities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chosing ONLINE Instruction Disqualifies This ISD's Students from ALL UIL Activities

...5A Plainview ISD is FORCING kids to attend school if they want to participate in UIL....https://www.myplainview.com/news/edu...E-15433061.php

...Meanwhile, any NCAA athlete can opt for 100% online as long as they meet the minimum number of hours/credits required...

Originally posted by John Galt View Post
    ...5A Plainview ISD is FORCING kids to attend school if they want to participate in UIL....https://www.myplainview.com/news/edu...E-15433061.php

...Meanwhile, any NCAA athlete can opt for 100% online as long as they meet the minimum number of hours/credits required...
    Sounds like a possible lawsuit

Comment

They all should be in a classroom anyway. Sounds like the district agrees. Kids need to be in the classroom.

Comment

Originally posted by Houston Kid View Post
        They all should be in a classroom anyway. Sounds like the district agrees. Kids need to be in the classroom.
        The TEA (and the UIL for extracurricular activities) has given all school districts options on how the school year will begin. . If you are familiar with Plainview ISD, I venture to guess that many of the families (and quite possibility the district) cannot meet the needs necessary for virtual learning. Therefore, PISD has made it's choice.

I disagree that the ALL students should be in a classroom. Many do need the classroom for structure above all else, but there are those that can be very successful online. IMO, whether the students are enrolled in the class virtually or have an actual seat in the class, should have zero bearing on a student's eligibility to participate- especially during these times. For the students in PISD that want to participate in extracurricular activities, I hope that this edict does not affect them now- and in the future.

-Suum Cuique

Comment

Originally posted by Houston Kid View Post
          Yes

To hell with putting teachers and their loved ones at risk, right?

Comment

Originally posted by John Galt View Post

The TEA (and the UIL for extracurricular activities) has given all school districts options on how the school year will begin. . If you are familiar with Plainview ISD, I venture to guess that many of the families (and quite possibility the district) cannot meet the needs necessary for virtual learning. Therefore, PISD has made it's choice.

I disagree that the ALL students should be in a classroom. Many do need the classroom for structure above all else, but there are those that can be very successful online. IMO, whether the students are enrolled in the class virtually or have an actual seat in the class, should have zero bearing on a student's eligibility to participate- especially during these times. For the students in PISD that want to participate in extracurricular activities, I hope that this edict does not affect them now- and in the future.

-Suum Cuique
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly right

Comment

Originally posted by Clemensbuff View Post

The rest of the world is still pretty much functioning, with precautions. Are Teachers somehow exempt? What about health care workers, WalMart employees, Law Enforcement and refinery workers?

Aren't "they and their loved ones at risk" too? COVID or not, life has to go on, and I say this as a teachers parent. She is not ducking anything, she is headed back to work soon. Teachers need to get their job done like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by SoutheastTX View Post

The rest of the world is still pretty much functioning, with precautions. Are Teachers somehow exempt? What about health care workers, WalMart employees, Law Enforcement and refinery workers?

Aren't "they and their loved ones at risk" too? COVID or not, life has to go on, and I say this as a teachers parent. She is not ducking anything, she is headed back to work soon. Teachers need to get their job done like everyone else.
                Or, we could use a little common sense in the matter and just wait a bit longer to start the school year...……….

Look, nobody is arguing we have to get back to normalcy somehow but there is absolutely NO reason to jump the gun. Remember the last time our state did it a couple months ago?
                Had we used better sense and judgement then we would not be in the shape we are in right now.

The rest of the world is pretty much functioning? Really?
                So you expect kids as young as 5, 6, or even 7 or 8 years old to 'function' like us adults are right now and do what is required with PPE and sanitizing to keep this from breaking out even worse again?

My wife IS NOT DUCKING anything either as a teacher but she is however very concerned that she could get it and pass it on to others within our family which the outcome may not be so good such as my 87 year old father or other members that have underlying issues already.

Comment

Originally posted by SoutheastTX View Post

I think 99.9% of all teachers cannot wait to get back to teaching and interacting their students. I don't know a lot of teachers, but from what I gather, they do not feel "exempt" from going back to work. I believe that teachers in many places will be at a very high risk given the diversity, environments and backgrounds of their students. Whether teachers are providing an educational experience in person, or online doesn't matter as learning can and should take place outside of the classroom setting.

The article on PISD focused on the requirement of students to physically attend class in order to be eligible for extracurricular activities.

Comment

Or, we could use a little common sense in the matter and just wait a bit longer to start the school year...……….

Look, nobody is arguing we have to get back to normalcy somehow but there is absolutely NO reason to jump the gun. Remember the last time our state did it a couple months ago?
                    Had we used better sense and judgement then we would not be in the shape we are in right now.

The rest of the world is pretty much functioning? Really?
                    So you expect kids as young as 5, 6, or even 7 or 8 years old to 'function' like us adults are right now and do what is required with PPE and sanitizing to keep this from breaking out even worse again?

My wife IS NOT DUCKING anything either as a teacher but she is however very concerned that she could get it and pass it on to others within our family which the outcome may not be so good such as my 87 year old father or other members that have underlying issues already.
                    No, I'm not expecting 8 year old kids to act as adults. I also know tat this virus, by and large, is not affecting 8 year old kids. I also know, as the parent of an 8 year old kid that we are getting very close to clinical depression and high levels of anxiety because she wants to be social. We sometimes forget that children suffer as well, and don't really understand why they are suffering.

Comment

If they deem being in class as too risky, then participating in sports is just as much or more. Makes sense why they would require them in the classroom.

Comment

Originally posted by dane View Post
                        If they deem being in class as too risky, then participating in sports is just as much or more. Makes sense why they would require them in the classroom.
                        I believe Denton ISD made the same decision.

Comment

What is the point of this, from the school district's perspective? Seems like they're punishing kids whose parents make the choice to do online schooling-- to what end?

You can make the argument that being in class, sharing air with dozens of kids for an hour at a time, switching from one group of kids to another with every class change, is actually more dangerous than playing sports (with the primary risk from sports being on the bus, in the locker room, etc, as opposed to playing outdoors). And you can certainly make the case that being on-campus for class + playing sports is more dangerous combined than doing just one or the other. So, since you can do class remotely but cannot play football remotely, I don't think it's crazy to do online school while participating in sports.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonDad View Post
                            What is the point of this, from the school district's perspective? Seems like they're punishing kids whose parents make the choice to do online schooling-- to what end?

You can make the argument that being in class, sharing air with dozens of kids for an hour at a time, switching from one group of kids to another with every class change, is actually more dangerous than playing sports (with the primary risk from sports being on the bus, in the locker room, etc, as opposed to playing outdoors). And you can certainly make the case that being on-campus for class + playing sports is more dangerous combined than doing just one or the other. So, since you can do class remotely but cannot play football remotely, I don't think it's crazy to do online school while participating in sports.
                            Agree...all about control.

FYI- Plainview ISD isn't one of the highest rated districts on the South Plains...academically and athletically. The community and school district has severely deteriorated since the good ol' days of Jimmy Dean sausage and Greg Sherwood!

Comment

Yes

Did I say that anywhere in my post? Take precautions and carry on. Kids need to be in the classroom. Sometimes the cure is worse than the problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X