Question for Parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Parents

Serious question for parents of school aged kids right now? How worried are you about the dangers of Covid to your children and the risk that they might expose you if they go back to school.

Me, I’m not really worried about it. Covid is not really killing kids, statistically and is not killing healthy people in my age group. We are taking precautions with my in laws, however my mother and grandmother are living their lives.

But ask the teachers as well . My 21 y o grandson just tested positive. My focus is not on talking heads and their uneducated opinions; but on people with medical training and knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by tmcran View Post
      But ask the teachers as well . My 21 y o grandson just tested positive. My focus is not on talking heads and their uneducated opinions; but on people with medical training and knowledge.
      I am asking parents because it’s their kids going to school etc. From there, the parents can choose to see the kids or not. This virus is not killing 8, 12, or 14 year olds. It’s not really killing most people like me. I’m just wondering how parents feel (those that really hav3 to make a decision on their kids). What say you, dragon dads

Comment

Originally posted by Attorneygreg View Post

I am asking parents because it’s their kids going to school etc. From there, the parents can choose to see the kids or not. This virus is not killing 8, 12, or 14 year olds. It’s not really killing most people like me. I’m just wondering how parents feel (those that really hav3 to make a decision on their kids). What say you, dragon dads
        I'm not a dragon dad. The few teachers I've talked with are not willing to return to classroom full of kids without mask and mandatory support from TEA and gov. Some have already secured jobs outside of teaching. I suppose local districts will have to decide. The young kids may get off lighter, however, the teachers and their families will not. Of course this is just speculation on everyone's part as of now.

Comment

It’s short sighted to only look at mortality rate. At Dallas Methodist, if you are intubated and survive, the average time you’re on a vent is around 8 days. The vast majority of ANYONE no matter what the age that is on a vent for 8 days will never be the same again. There’s so much pulmonary fibrosis afterwards that it is hard to take a deep breath or walk up a flight of stairs. Don’t just look at mortality when the morbidity is high as well

Comment

I recently heard on TV that young school children who are positive with Covid-19 do not infect others. I don't recall who said that but has anyone else hear that? It doesn't sound accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by OldCatFan View Post
              I recently heard on TV that young school children who are positive with Covid-19 do not infect others. I don't recall who said that but has anyone else hear that? It doesn't sound accurate.
              That makes no sense.
              Show a people as one thing, only one thing, over and over again, and that is what they become.
              Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Comment

A lady in her 20’s without any known medical conditions died of COVID yesterday in Dallas

Comment

Originally posted by slcdragonfan View Post

That makes no sense.
                  Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by OldCatFan View Post
                    Cook’s Children’s Hospital in Fort Worth has had 238 cases, more than half of those have been in the last 10 days

https://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article/...a-96c4d16fcecc

Comment

Originally posted by ShutDownDB11 View Post
                      A lady in her 20’s without any known medical conditions died of COVID yesterday in Dallas
                      And why is this newsworthy? How many 20 somethings with no comorbidity are dying? The very reason its newsworthy is because its so rare.

Comment

Originally posted by Attorneygreg View Post

And why is this newsworthy? How many 20 somethings with no comorbidity are dying? The very reason its newsworthy is because its so rare.
                        Its newsworthy in this thread because you have said many times in multiple threads that it isn't killing young people. In this thread alone you mention "Its not really killing people like me." I'm assuming since you have a freshman playing football that you are older than this girl. Yes it is rare. But it happens. And again, just the endpoint of death is not the only factor worth looking at.

Comment

Its newsworthy in this thread because you have said many times in multiple threads that it isn't killing young people. In this thread alone you mention "Its not really killing people like me." I'm assuming since you have a freshman playing football that you are older than this girl. Yes it is rare. But it happens. And again, just the endpoint of death is not the only factor worth looking at.
                          According to the CDC's latest figures, hospitalizations among the 5-17 age demographic are 3.7/100,000 population. That is the closest age demographic I can find for high school athletes. That means, as he sits, my son and his friends have a .0037% chance of being hospitalized (i.e. developing a serious case) from this virus.

Anticipating your next argument (your son is more likely to contract corona due to his risky behavior) the numbers are a bit different. Worldometer says the U.S has had 2817,464 cases total. That means 1 in 116 people have had Covid 19. Extrapolating the numbers that means for every 862 confirmed cases, 3.7 people in the demographic are hospitalized. Assuming my son is 100% likely to get corona ( aridiculous assumption in the short term) his statistical chance of being hospitalized is approximately .4292%. Hospitalizations do occur, but they are rare. Throw in the anecdotal evidence that most serious cases (and certainly deaths) have a comorbidity attached and I'm not so worried about the other "factors" you suggest. Especially as there is no long term research regarding these other "factors."
                          Last edited by Attorneygreg; 07-02-2020, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Those numbers seem far away until its your kid. I'm done arguing with you about this. Ask any parent with a kid with leukemia. Leukemia overall has an incidence of something like 7 per 100,000. Less than 5% of those are kids. It has a cure rate over 90%. But if you're the parent of one of those kids that don't make it, the statistics don't matter to you. I met a lady today from Southlake who had an 18 year old girl who died in a car wreck in January. It doesn't mean I won't let my kids ride in cars, but it does mean you can be damn sure they'll wear seat belts and do what I can to keep them safe.

at no point in any post have I ever said that the kids shouldn’t play football. I’ve never even said they shouldn’t be congregating. I just think some are too cavalier about this. Find someone who worked in NY during the height of this. They’ll tell you stories of so many dead bodies around hospitals that the freezers were full and they had to lay them down in the halls. They’ll tell you about having to just splint open fractures and tell patients that they’ll call them when they can get to them.
                            Last edited by ShutDownDB11; 07-02-2020, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Those numbers seem far away until its your kid. I'm done arguing with you about this. Ask any parent with a kid with leukemia. Leukemia overall has an incidence of something like 7 per 100,000. Less than 5% of those are kids. It has a cure rate over 90%. But if you're the parent of one of those kids that don't make it, the statistics don't matter to you. I met a lady today from Southlake who had an 18 year old girl who died in a car wreck in January. It doesn't mean I won't let my kids ride in cars, but it does mean you can be damn sure they'll wear seat belts and do what I can to keep them safe.

at no point in any post have I ever said that the kids shouldn’t play football. I’ve never even said they shouldn’t be congregating. I just think some are too cavalier about this. Find someone who worked in NY during the height of this. They’ll tell you stories of so many dead bodies around hospitals that the freezers were full and they had to lay them down in the halls. They’ll tell you about having to just splint open fractures and tell patients that they’ll call them when they can get to them.
                              Stats and figures mean crap to me. As I said my 21 y.o grand son has it. Camp counselor for 8-14 y o. kids. Some people use stats to try and influrance others to their way of thinking. Tell it to someone that cares.

Comment

Working...
                              X