School Reopening '20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Reopening '20

To much disappointment,TEA & Commissoner Mike Morath failed to come up with a concrete plan or recommendation for reopening schools. Pretty much leaving it up to each local school district to formulate their own plans. There will be school. The following is a draft leaked from TEA on their ideas:

Texas delays health guidelines for reopening schools this fall. Draft documents show few mandatory safety measures.
    Texas education officials delayed an expected announcement of school reopening guidelines Tuesday, but a draft plan shows the state taking a light-handed role in coronavirus prevention measures.Masks and distancing are recommended but not mandatory.

Texas public schools will be required to provide in-person instruction for students this fall, but state education officials have delayed releasing final public health guidelines for keeping them safe on campuses during the pandemic.

"We are unable to give final guidance today on on-campus instruction. We are actively monitoring the situation, and we will try to get out final information as quickly as possible," Texas Education Commissioner Mike Morath said during a Tuesday briefing of school superintendents who had been expecting him to outline the agency's reopening guidelines.

A draft document found on the Texas Education Agency's website Tuesday showed agency officials are envisioning a largely hands-off approach to helping school districts bring students back to campus this fall, imposing few mandatory safety precautions but recommending that staff and students wear masks, sanitize their hands regularly and stay 6 feet away from one another.

The light-handed oversight role parallels the state's overall approach to the coronavirus pandemic under Gov. Greg Abbott, with local officials, parents and students expected to devise their own strategies for protecting their health.

And state Democrats have excoriated Abbott for deciding to reopen schools amid rises in COVID-19 cases. "The decision to reopen comes despite severe concerns from students, teachers, and parents that returning to school may not be safe in the fall," a working group of state House Democrats said in a statement Tuesday. "The announcements also coincide with an outbreak of COVID-19 that has led to nearly two weeks of record hospitalizations and rising cases that even Gov. Abbott decreed 'unacceptable.'"

Education officials did release final guidelines Tuesday afternoon saying that after campuses reopen, they will count students taking virtual classes in the attendance figures used to determine state funding. Districts can choose to provide live virtual instruction or instruction that is not delivered in real time, including prerecorded video lessons or paper assignments. The state will not penalize school districts for major decreases in student attendance for the first 12 weeks of the year.
    source:texastribune.org

twitter: Coach [email protected]_Coach F

Originally posted by Eagle2 View Post
    To much disappointment,TEA & Commissoner Mike Morath failed to come up with a concrete plan or recommendation for reopening schools. Pretty much leaving it up to each local school district to formulate their own plans. There will be school. The following is a draft leaked from TEA on their ideas:

Texas delays health guidelines for reopening schools this fall. Draft documents show few mandatory safety measures.
    Texas education officials delayed an expected announcement of school reopening guidelines Tuesday, but a draft plan shows the state taking a light-handed role in coronavirus prevention measures.Masks and distancing are recommended but not mandatory.

Texas public schools will be required to provide in-person instruction for students this fall, but state education officials have delayed releasing final public health guidelines for keeping them safe on campuses during the pandemic.

"We are unable to give final guidance today on on-campus instruction. We are actively monitoring the situation, and we will try to get out final information as quickly as possible," Texas Education Commissioner Mike Morath said during a Tuesday briefing of school superintendents who had been expecting him to outline the agency's reopening guidelines.

A draft document found on the Texas Education Agency's website Tuesday showed agency officials are envisioning a largely hands-off approach to helping school districts bring students back to campus this fall, imposing few mandatory safety precautions but recommending that staff and students wear masks, sanitize their hands regularly and stay 6 feet away from one another.

The light-handed oversight role parallels the state's overall approach to the coronavirus pandemic under Gov. Greg Abbott, with local officials, parents and students expected to devise their own strategies for protecting their health.

And state Democrats have excoriated Abbott for deciding to reopen schools amid rises in COVID-19 cases. "The decision to reopen comes despite severe concerns from students, teachers, and parents that returning to school may not be safe in the fall," a working group of state House Democrats said in a statement Tuesday. "The announcements also coincide with an outbreak of COVID-19 that has led to nearly two weeks of record hospitalizations and rising cases that even Gov. Abbott decreed 'unacceptable.'"

Education officials did release final guidelines Tuesday afternoon saying that after campuses reopen, they will count students taking virtual classes in the attendance figures used to determine state funding. Districts can choose to provide live virtual instruction or instruction that is not delivered in real time, including prerecorded video lessons or paper assignments. The state will not penalize school districts for major decreases in student attendance for the first 12 weeks of the year.
    source:texastribune.org

Yes, this is disappointing. Now was the time to stand up and make specific guidelines.

Comment

Buck has officially been passed!!

Comment

I work for a school district. I just got an email from my Principal today saying that sometime during the yr we will have to close down for an undetermined amount of time.

Comment

I really, REALLY would love to figure out how to play football this Fall, but with all of this waffling from state leaders, how can anyone envision playing 16 weeks without having entire programs shut down, much less an entire campus or ISD?

Comment

Originally posted by TEMPLE WILDCATS View Post
            I work for a school district. I just got an email from my Principal today saying that sometime during the yr we will have to close down for an undetermined amount of time.
            Yes that is one of the dilemas in planning school calendar. It's not if but when and how to account for those days without taking away holidays or extending school into summer.

Comment

Argyle ISD conducted a poll of their residents. 80% said their child would be attending school.

Comment

School districts have been clamoring for increased local control and local decision-making for years; seems like they got it.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Comment

If the TEA is not going to provide cover to the individual ISD's via strong guidelines, then I would expect to see many ISD's make risk adverse decisions about the upcoming school year.

Comment

Originally posted by bwgophers View Post
                    If the TEA is not going to provide cover to the individual ISD's via strong guidelines, then I would expect to see many ISD's make risk adverse decisions about the upcoming school year.
                    Some of teachers I've talked with have expressed their concern about lack of leadership and direction from TEA. Some are very concerned re: exposure to the virus in a closed classroom with children and others without specific guidelines. Two I'm aware off have used this summer to pursue employment in other fields. I've seen where a majority of parents want the kids to be back in school...... that's no surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by tmcran View Post

Some of teachers I've talked with have expressed their concern about lack of leadership and direction from TEA. Some are very concerned re: exposure to the virus in a closed classroom with children and others without specific guidelines. Two I'm aware off have used this summer to pursue employment in other fields. I've seen where a majority of parents want the kids to be back in school...... that's no surprise.
                      My two daughters and daughter-in-law who have 60 years combined experience with ecisd think TEA has been off track for several decades.

Comment

Not public school, but mrs. pied is working for an "Independent Private School" in the Dallas area and little pied will be attending Greenhill in the fall, also an "Independent Private School."

mrs. pied had an all staff conf call with the school today, and it appears the most likely option, will be one week on, one week at home alternating between the HS and MS. They're also planning for other options as well, in case something comes up one way or the other but that seems most likely at the moment. Many of the big independent privates work together on these things, so kind of expecting something similar from Greenhill.

Comment

Originally posted by DrEdward View Post
                          School districts have been clamoring for increased local control and local decision-making for years; seems like they got it.
                          But the TEA could at least provide top cover in this instance.

Comment

See where TSTA wants mask in the classroom. As some of the teachers I know, have expressed concerns about lack of TEA guidance and mandatory safety efforts. I know some that have voiced the need to seek employment in other fields and others said if the present tend continues they will not return to the classroom.

Comment

Originally posted by tmcran View Post
                              See where TSTA wants mask in the classroom. As some of the teachers I know, have expressed concerns about lack of TEA guidance and mandatory safety efforts. I know some that have voiced the need to seek employment in other fields and others said if the present tend continues they will not return to the classroom.
                              Correct TSTA & Teachers Union have expressed those health and safety concerns expressed by teachers to TEA and true many have already resigned or chose not to return until situation gets better and rightfully so. Health & Safety for all comes first.

Comment

Working...
                              X