No announcement yet.

*** Official Longview Lobo Thread - Home of LOBO Nation ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I still see a ship caliber team in the end.

The difference being an all time great Lobo defense and a dominant running game.

The passing hasnt been what it was last year...but it was never gonna be as good as last year. That was a passing attack that torched both school and state record books....I dunno that we'll ever see a season through the air like that again.

But I don't think we'll need to with as dominant of a back Meredith is.

I'm not saying we'll be totally okay being one dimensional, just saying if King puts up 3k yards this year instead of 4k yards (like last year) with as dominant of a back Meredith is + this defense...that's more than enough to win it all. And that would still be the 2nd greatest passing season in our history.

However, If the train were to derail, I would bet it'd be because of poor PR handling. Webb not the answer there. Dudes like Shannon Jackson or JD Williams would probably be better fits out there.
    Last edited by WP4L™; 10-12-2019, 06:45 AM.

Comment

• Cedar Hill beats Horn by 28. Cedar Hill loses to Allen by 13. Cedar Hill loses to Denton Guyer by 4.

Lobos coming off a bye-week on the road under hostile conditions, playing under much cooler weather conditions for first time with basically 2 TD’s (14 points) called back which resulted in 2 missed FG’s (6 pts.) with several untimely errors and suspect penalties, and most importantly, an entire half of football in which our defense was not its typical self which means, that we could have - should have, with all of the fiascos included, still won this game by at least 50-20 (+30) or at most 58-20 to 65-20 (+38 to +45), which would put us on par with Allen and Guyer. How soon we forget the terrible first halves we had against less than stellar competition like Ruston and Mesquite last season not to mention that our boys took a thrashing the last time we played Horn at home yet ventured to the State semis and a game they should have won. I think what’s going on here with respect to Lobo fans, this team is being graded by last season’s team, which is both impractical and unfair not to mention that this team has a huge target on its back. Someone said it well, “these mistakes can be corrected” and when they are, look out!! This group of young men have not even come close to reaching their full potential yet they are 6-0 with a not so shabby a resume (LP with 1 loss, WM with 1 loss and Rockwall defeating Martin which defeated LT). What we are forgetting, in my most humble of an opinion, is how our Lobos generally kick this thing into another gear come playoffs time. They’ve done it time and time again! I for one, am less worried about this team as I fully expect them to mow down the competition on their quest for 32 straight. Go Lobos - one not done!
      Last edited by JoeC; 10-12-2019, 07:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WP4L™ View Post
        I still see a ship caliber team in the end.

However, If the train were to derail, I would bet it'd be because of poor PR handling. Webb not the answer there. Dudes like Shannon Jackson or JD Williams would probably be better fits out there.
        Couldn't agree more. I hate calling kids out but it is what it is. Webb back there is our weakest link. Why is that so difficult to recognize?

Comment

• Why wasn't Meredith on kick offs? Or did they just not kick his way or saved for offense

Comment

• Hmm looks like Aggies have their eyes on Meredith wouldn't that be something.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeC View Post
              Someone said it well, “these mistakes can be corrected” and when they are, look out!!
              But can they? We're more than half way through the entire regular season, and the next three games should not be close at all.

I think we can agree that penalties and special teams have been the only two things that have REALLY hurt us. Yes the receiving core isn't as good as last season, and Haynes has been off, but we still just set a school record for total yards in a game. That says everything imo.

BUT...

Penalties...in 3 of the 6 games, we've had over 10+ calls. We've had 6, 11, 12, 6, 4, and whatever we ended up with last season that was over 10 (plus we had two declined by Horn so it should be even more). It wiped out 11 points last night. We've had numerous wipe out touchdowns, and it curtailed drives. I just don't think that's changing this year. Yes, it should be fixable, but they're still doing it. Now, I have no idea on some of them..like the pass interference when Jones caught the pass. But still, they're putting themselves in those positions for those calls to be made.

Special teams...King has shown he's not going to take Webb out from back there. And I have no idea why. He is beyond horrid in catching the punts, and that has happened for six straight weeks. I didn't see the Rockwall game, so that might be the only instance, but he has lost the ball once every single game this season (even if he has recovered some). It makes zero sense to me why that kid is still being put that position to return when he hasn't had a single return all year. The kickoff game this week was pretty bad, but that hasn't been an issue most of the year...same with the kicking game, none of those kicks were nice even on the PATs made, but I'm just going to attribute that to the wind more so than anyhting.

The next three games are ones we need to work on it all for sure. Heath is not a push over. They hung with Rockwall, easily could've beaten Lee and Mesquite. We can't come in just expecting to them to just roll over, which we seemed to believe in that first half against Horn last night.
              THE HISTORY OF LONGVIEW LOBO FOOTBALL

1937 1A, 2018 6A DIVISION II STATE CHAMPIONS
              5A Division 1, 2008 4A Division I, 2009 4A Division I State Finalist
              40 District Championships
              '47, '75, '10, '17 State Semi-Finalist
              '40, '86, '96, '02, '07, '15 State Quarterfinalist
              '04, '11, '12, '13 Regional Finalist
              '83, '85, '87, '89, '91, '93, '01, '06, '14 Area Finalist
              '24, '31, '34, '36, '42, '67, '72, '74, '76, '80, '84, '92, '03, '05, '16 Bi-District Finalist

Comment

• Originally posted by WolverBean View Post
                Why wasn't Meredith on kick offs? Or did they just not kick his way or saved for offense
                They rotate him on kickoffs to relieve workload, especially with the shoulder issue.

Comment

• Since King became head coach, the most games we've had with 10 or more penalties in a SEASON, is 4 (2017 with 15 games played).

Six games in, we're already only one more game away from that mark.

'24, '31, '34, '36, '42, '67, '72, '74, '76, '80, '84, '92, '03, '05, '16 Bi-District Finalist

Comment

• Watching Baylor game y'all think hasty be next lobo drafted to the league

Comment

• Double ot hasty scores winning TD!

Comment

• In no shape or form am I aiming to downplay the gravity of these penalties as they “could” be huge as well as a multitude of other things. Some of them could be a sign of “aggressive play”, which could account for 51 pts allowed through 6 games (8 pts PGA) while others could be that we’re defending State champions and with it, comes more scrutiny or maybe down right targeting - politically charged (small town team in Texas, not from Dallas, Houston or Austin areas). By that I mean, “you can find a penalty on every play” is not just a cliché. We all saw the interference no call in the end zone against LP with the official point blank (could have caught the ball himself) - hell even Ray Charles from his grave and Stevie Wonder and LP fans shrugged their shoulders in disbelief. And then again, these penalties could mean a hill of beans if the rest of your team play is good enough to overcome them. For example, I fully expect continuity between Haynes, Kyas and Kearby to develop and why not, these 3 were vital parts of our offensive arsenal last season. Add Jhailon, Austin and C.J. to the mix and wow - it’s just a matter of time.

How about some positives for a change of pace. LP only 1 loss, West Monroe only 1 loss, beat the breaks off Rockwall which kicked Martin’s you know what while Martin kicked LT’s keester and now 685 yards of total offense against a better than shabby Horn. And talking statistical analysis concerning teams during King’s tenure, how many of his teams have allowed 51 points through 6 games and undefeated to boot? Like I said, not even fix but just reduce the penalties and mistakes and this team is dynamic! Just trying to be the devil’s advocate all while upholding the proper perspective.

Comment

In no shape or form am I aiming to downplay the gravity of these penalties as they “could” be huge as well as a multitude of other things. Some of them could be a sign of “aggressive play”, which could account for 51 pts allowed through 6 games (8 pts PGA) while others could be that we’re defending State champions and with it, comes more scrutiny or maybe down right targeting - politically charged (small town team in Texas, not from Dallas, Houston or Austin areas). By that I mean, “you can find a penalty on every play” is not just a cliché. We all saw the interference no call in the end zone against LP with the official point blank (could have caught the ball himself) - hell even Ray Charles from his grave and Stevie Wonder and LP fans shrugged their shoulders in disbelief. And then again, these penalties could mean a hill of beans if the rest of your team play is good enough to overcome them. For example, I fully expect continuity between Haynes, Kyas and Kearby to develop and why not, these 3 were vital parts of our offensive arsenal last season. Add Jhailon, Austin and C.J. to the mix and wow - it’s just a matter of time.

How about some positives for a change of pace. LP only 1 loss, West Monroe only 1 loss, beat the breaks off Rockwall which kicked Martin’s you know what while Martin kicked LT’s keester and now 685 yards of total offense against a better than shabby Horn. And talking statistical analysis concerning teams during King’s tenure, how many of his teams have allowed 51 points through 6 games and undefeated to boot? Like I said, not even fix but just reduce the penalties and mistakes and this team is dynamic! Just trying to be the devil’s advocate all while upholding the proper perspective.
                          Well said...I am please at where we are at this point of the season. Although we are in love with last years team due to the magical state championship run... this team is not last years team. They are still finding themselves and starting to develop an identity. We have won the games against the teams on our schedule and outside of the Lufkin game. Have done convincingly. Not always pretty or to the optics of what we saw last year offensively. Last year it was the offense that was special. This year it is the defense. Offensively we will be just fine. I am not worried about special teams. I am confident by the playoffs we will find someone to field punts. Otherwise kickoff, kickoff return, punting has been solid.

As as I always say. Take a deep breath and release....now enjoy the journey!!

Comment

In no shape or form am I aiming to downplay the gravity of these penalties as they “could” be huge as well as a multitude of other things. Some of them could be a sign of “aggressive play”, which could account for 51 pts allowed through 6 games (8 pts PGA) while others could be that we’re defending State champions and with it, comes more scrutiny or maybe down right targeting - politically charged (small town team in Texas, not from Dallas, Houston or Austin areas). By that I mean, “you can find a penalty on every play” is not just a cliché. We all saw the interference no call in the end zone against LP with the official point blank (could have caught the ball himself) - hell even Ray Charles from his grave and Stevie Wonder and LP fans shrugged their shoulders in disbelief. And then again, these penalties could mean a hill of beans if the rest of your team play is good enough to overcome them. For example, I fully expect continuity between Haynes, Kyas and Kearby to develop and why not, these 3 were vital parts of our offensive arsenal last season. Add Jhailon, Austin and C.J. to the mix and wow - it’s just a matter of time.

Good post. Things obviously are said during the games in the heat of the moment, and I probably more so than anyone posting tend to let my immediate thoughts out on here without thinking before posting.

It's been a fun 33 game run, where if not for two missed field goals could've easily seen us on a 34 game win streak right now. Last season is last season, and definitely have to get that out of our heads trying to compare and such to them.

Longview dominated Friday night's game. We give them 7 of their points on the fumbled kickoff. They really only drove once on us all night. And the second half was a complete shut down of their offense.

The offense hasn't been pretty at time but they're still averaging nearly 40 points a game, and of course the defense has just been outstanding. We've given up 391 rushing yards...TOTAL through 6 games. Kaden nearly had that in one game last Friday. Just keep on improving. I have no confidence in the punt return game, but King seems hell bent on keeping Webb back there, so all we can do is hope he can improve. He seems determined to right the ship.

Comment

• Originally posted by LoboFan07 View Post

Good post. Things obviously are said during the games in the heat of the moment, and I probably more so than anyone posting tend to let my immediate thoughts out on here without thinking before posting.

It's been a fun 33 game run, where if not for two missed field goals could've easily seen us on a 34 game win streak right now. Last season is last season, and definitely have to get that out of our heads trying to compare and such to them.

Longview dominated Friday night's game. We give them 7 of their points on the fumbled kickoff. They really only drove once on us all night. And the second half was a complete shut down of their offense.

The offense hasn't been pretty at time but they're still averaging nearly 40 points a game, and of course the defense has just been outstanding. We've given up 391 rushing yards...TOTAL through 6 games. Kaden nearly had that in one game last Friday. Just keep on improving. I have no confidence in the punt return game, but King seems hell bent on keeping Webb back there, so all we can do is hope he can improve. He seems determined to right the ship.
                              Awesome...Go Lobos! One not done!

Comment

• As a reminder, anything I post is subjective to change in the future. It’s only based on stats that I have posted on the history website as of now. I could find another game with more stats tomorrow which would push a record mentioned in this post down, etc.

The Lobo Wrap - Longview 44, Mesquite Horn 20 - October 11th, 2019
                                • Longview’s 44-20 victory over Mesquite Horn, improved the Lobos to 6-0 on the season. It is the 24th time in Longview’s 110 seasons that the Lobos have started a season 6-0.
                                • It is Longview’s 4th time under head coach John King, in his 16th season, to open the season 6-0.
                                • It is the second consecutive season that the Lobos have opened the season 6-0. Longview had, previous to last season, not started a season 6-0 in 13 years.
                                • Longview improved to 3-2 all-time against Mesquite Horn at E.H. Hanby Stadium.
                                • Overall, the Lobos improved to 4-2 against Mesquite Horn in the city of Mesquite.
                                • Longview improved to 10-3 at E.H. Hanby Stadium, all-time. Friday’s contest was the first of three scheduled games at Hanby Stadium this season.
                                • The win at Hanby Stadium was the second in a row at the stadium, after dropping three consecutive games.
                                • Longview improved to 7-3 under head coach John King at E.H. Hanby Stadium.
                                • John King improved to 11-2 as head coach against the Mesquite Horn Jaguars.
                                • John King improved to 4-2 against Mesquite Horn in Mesquite.
                                • John King’s 11 wins against Mesquite Horn ranks 4th for most wins over a single opponent in the John King era (dating back to 2004). King has only won more games against Marshall, Tyler Lee and Lufkin in his head coaching career.
                                • Friday’s meeting was the 13th time the two programs have faced off on the gridiron. The 13 meetings against a single opponent ranks 16th all-time in school history.
                                • Longview’s 44-20 victory over the Horn Jaguars was Longview’s 11th all-time against the Jags. The 11 wins over a single opponent ranks tied for 12th most in school history.
                                • Longview has now scored 34 or more points against Mesquite Horn in five consecutive meetings, dating back to 2012 when the Jags held the Lobos to 17 points.
                                • Longview’s victory on Friday continued a school record for consecutive wins, with their 22nd victory in a row, dating back to a 2017 loss against Waco Midway (28-26).
                                • Longview’s 22 straight victories continues to be the longest active winning streak in the State of Texas (for the second consecutive week).
                                • Longview’s 22 straight wins marks just the second time in East Texas football history, on the top two levels of Texas Football (Class 6A & Class 5A), that an East Texas program has won 22 consecutive football games. John Tyler’s 26 wins in a row (1972 to 1974) is the longest current streak by an East Texas 6A or 5A program.
                                • Longview’s victory also upped their regular season winning streak to 22 wins in a row, dating back to September 29th, 2017 against Tyler Lee. The 22 wins in a row during the regular season is the second longest in school history.
                                • Friday’s win also marked the 14th consecutive district victory for Longview, dating back to a September 22nd, 2017, 52-34 loss to Mesquite Horn.
                                • Longview’s 14-game district winning streak is the fifth longest in school history. The Lobos have a chance to tie the second longest winning streak this season at 18.
                                • John King improved to 86-6 in district contests as head coach of Longview.
                                • John King also improved to 16-0 in the second district game of the season.
                                • Longview’s 44-20 victory over Mesquite Horn marked the 211th consecutive game that Longview has avoided a shut out, a school record. The second longest streak stands at 96 games (10/20/1995 to 10/31/2003).
                                • Longview improved to 9-5 all-time in games played on October 11th, winning their second in a row on the date. Longview’s last loss on 10/11 came in 2002.
                                • Longview improved to 71-24-6 all-time in their sixth game of the season, winning their fourth in a row dating back to a 2015 loss at Marshall, 28-25.
                                • Longview is 15-1 in their sixth game of the season under head coach John King.
                                • Longview has allowed just 51 points through six games of the 2019 football season, the lowest of the John King era. In 2018, the Lobos had allowed 121 points at this point of the season.
                                • The 51 points through 6 games is the lowest since Longview allowed just 48 points through 6 games in 1996.
                                • Mesquite Horn’s 13 points in the first quarter was the first time the Lobos have allowed multiple scores in the same quarter all season.
                                • Longview has not given up a point in the second half since Lufkin’s 4th quarter score in the first game of the season, marking 10 consecutive second half quarters of shut out football.
                                • Longview’s 178 point differential through six games is the largest point differential through the first six games played since 2005, who had a 181 point differential.
                                • Dating back to the start of the 2018 season, Longview has scored 40 or more points in 18 of their last 22 contests.
                                • Longview’s 44 points against Horn marked the 10th consecutive district contest the Lobos have scored 40 or more in. Longview’s last district game to be held under 40 points came in 2017 at John Tyler (28).
                                • The Lobos have scored 20 or more points in 45 consecutive district contests, dating back to being held to just 17 in 2012 vs Mesquite Horn.
                                • Longview had their third game of the season with 10 or more penalties in just six games. Longview has already accumulated 461 penalty yards on the season.
                                • Longview’s 50 penalties through six game is the most since the 2003 squad.
                                • Longview’s 461 penalty yards also is the most the Lobos have gathered since the 2003 team.
                                • The Lobos ran up 30 first downs against Mesquite Horn, tied for the most in school history. It was the first time since 1988 against Texas High the Lobos have had 30 first downs in a single game. The other two games that Longview was has had 30 first downs in came in 1956 vs Denison and 1953 vs Palestine.
                                • Longview had 685 total yards of offense on Friday night against Mesquite Horn, a new school record. Longview broke the previous record of 682 against Hallsville set in 2015.
                                • It’s just the sixth time the Lobos have reached 600 yards of total offense in a single game in school history. All six have come since 2015.
                                • Longview’s 491 yards rushing against Mesquite Horn was the fifth most in school history. It’s the 25th time in record history the Lobos have hit 400 or more yards rushing.
                                Player Records - Longview 44, Mesquite Horn 20 - October 11th, 2019
                                • Haynes King started his 33rd game in a row as Lobo quarterback on Friday.
                                • Haynes King improved to 32-1 as a starter, a school record for wins by a starting quarterback.
                                • Haynes King threw his 70th and 71st touchdown pass in his Lobo record, the first ever Lobo to reach 70 or more passing touchdowns in a career.
                                • Haynes King’s two touchdown night was the 24th-multi touchdown game of his career, the most in school history. It was his first this season.
                                • JD Williams caught his first touchdown of the season.
                                • JD Williams has now three receiving touchdowns in his Lobo career.
                                • JD Williams also is up to six overall touchdowns in his career.
                                • Kyas Moore caught his first touchdown of the season.
                                • Kyas Moore now has two career touchdown receptions.
                                • Kyas Moore’s 60 yard touchdown reception was the 89th 60 or longer reception in school history.
                                • Kaden Meredith’s four touchdown night made him the 37th in school history to record 4 or more touchdowns in a single game.
                                • Kaden Meredith is the 32nd player in school history to rush for four touchdowns in a single game.
                                • Kaden Meredith’s four touchdown night pushed him to 23 career touchdowns, just six games into his junior season. He ranks tied for 16th in school history in touchdowns scored.
                                • Kaden Meredith is now tied for 20th in school history in rushing touchdown in a career.
                                • Kaden Meredith is now up to 11 total touchdowns for the season, and 10 rushing.
                                • Kaden Meredith became the second player in school history to reach 300 or more yards rushing in a single game. He fell just 32 yards short of tying the school history set by Fred Talley (387) in 1998.
                                • Antonio Onofre’s 43-yard field goal is the 21st time in school history a Lobo has hit a field goal at least 43 yards.
                                • Antonio Onofre is up to four field goals in his career as Lobo.
                                • Antonio Onofre had a 1-for-3 night in kicking field goals, now having missed just three field goal attempts all season.

Comment

Working...
                                X