*** Official Longview Lobo Thread - Home of LOBO Nation ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LoboFan07 View Post
    I think it's staggering that in the 81 games we've played Cujo since 1933, that 22% of our games against them have determined a district championship.
    Would not that fact, then, mean that the LHS/JT rivalry is the biggest one of the respective programs?

Comment

He's the best passing QB we've probably ever had come through here....and he's a sophomore. I think we're just excited about his potential, especially since he's a sophomore.
      Just about everybody in this town is high on HK. This, a strong armed QB, is not a luxury we're used to having. This kid has been talked about for the better part of 3 years now. Don't get me wrong, we've had gunslingers before I.e., Kenny Jackson (77), Kirt Griffin (86), and Joel Armstrong (01); unfortunately, they were all decades ahead of their time. Then there was Bivins Caraway (2012-13) and disaster hit in the form of disappointment by injury. So yes there is excitement in this traditionally rush first happy town and justifiably so. Add to our traditional "Running-back U" a gunslinger QB and yes, expectations are high - real high! You'll be hardpressd (extremely difficult) to get pretty much any Longview fan to downplay their enthusiasm. It is what it is! The most important thing we can do as fans is to control our enthusiasm and not put too much weight too soon on this young man's shoulder by forgetting that in the end, it will take a team effort to achieve that ultimate and seemingly elusive goal...

Comment

• Originally posted by Matthias View Post

Would not that fact, then, mean that the LHS/JT rivalry is the biggest one of the respective programs?
        It's either John Tyler or Lufkin.

18 district championship games between JT and Longview in 77 district games since '34 (23.4% of our meetings

And while there's only been 6 district championship games between Longview and Lufkin, there's been in addition 9 playoff games so that's 15 games between Longview and Lufkin in 80 games that have had huge impacts. I value the playoff games more than the district title games.

Point being, it's easy to see why Longview fans feel the Lufkin and John Tyler rivalries are bigger showdowns than the Marshall one. Of course, the Mavs dropping down a class and the game basically being meaningless other than bragging rights is a big reason as well. At least with Lufkin, even though we haven't been in a district together in nearly 15 years, the game still has always had that post season preview feel.

If the 2012 and 2016 showdowns had occurred, we would've played Lufkin in post season action 6 times since 2002. Which is pretty insane. 4 times alone since 02 is enough for me. But of course, there's a strong chance we see them again in November this year for #5.
        THE HISTORY OF LONGVIEW LOBO FOOTBALL

1937 1A, 2018 6A DIVISION II STATE CHAMPIONS
        5A D1, 2008 4A D1, 2009 4A D1 State Finalist
        40 District Championships
        '47, '75, '10, '17 State Semi-Finalist
        '40, '86, '96, '02, '07, '15 State Quarterfinalist
        '04, '11, '12, '13, '20 Regional Finalist
        '83, '85, '87, '89, '91, '93, '01, '06, '14, '19 Area Finalist
        '24, '31, '34, '36, '42, '67, '72, '74, '76, '80, '84, '92, '03, '05, '16 Bi-District Finalist

Comment

It's either John Tyler or Lufkin.

18 district championship games between JT and Longview in 77 district games since '34 (23.4% of our meetings

And while there's only been 6 district championship games between Longview and Lufkin, there's been in addition 9 playoff games so that's 15 games between Longview and Lufkin in 80 games that have had huge impacts. I value the playoff games more than the district title games.

Point being, it's easy to see why Longview fans feel the Lufkin and John Tyler rivalries are bigger showdowns than the Marshall one. Of course, the Mavs dropping down a class and the game basically being meaningless other than bragging rights is a big reason as well. At least with Lufkin, even though we haven't been in a district together in nearly 15 years, the game still has always had that post season preview feel.

If the 2012 and 2016 showdowns had occurred, we would've played Lufkin in post season action 6 times since 2002. Which is pretty insane. 4 times alone since 02 is enough for me. But of course, there's a strong chance we see them again in November this year for #5.
          Awesome. Statistical Analysis is cool stuff and very telling...

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeC View Post

Just about everybody in this town is high on HK. This, a strong armed QB, is not a luxury we're used to having. This kid has been talked about for the better part of 3 years now. Don't get me wrong, we've had gunslingers before I.e., Kenny Jackson (77), Kirt Griffin (86), and Joel Armstrong (01); unfortunately, they were all decades ahead of their time. Then there was Bivins Caraway (2012-13) and disaster hit in the form of disappointment by injury. So yes there is excitement in this traditionally rush first happy town and justifiably so. Add to our traditional "Running-back U" a gunslinger QB and yes, expectations are high - real high! You'll be hardpressd (extremely difficult) to get pretty much any Longview fan to downplay their enthusiasm. It is what it is! The most important thing we can do as fans is to control our enthusiasm and not put too much weight too soon on this young man's shoulder by forgetting that in the end, it will take a team effort to achieve that ultimate and seemingly elusive goal...
            Just like last year, Im way more concerned with the lack of size on the D line and LB'ers. It WILL make a difference in the long haul. I was proud of the way they played against a bigger Lufkin O line, but we will see far better O lines than that by week 10.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rockin_L View Post

Just like last year, Im way more concerned with the lack of size on the D line and LB'ers. It WILL make a difference in the long haul. I was proud of the way they played against a bigger Lufkin O line, but we will see far better O lines than that by week 10.
              Horn, Heath and Rockwalll have gargantuan lines every year and we beat these teams routinely and emphatically. Not sure about horn but both Rockwall teams have huge linemen and linebackers. This year we have depth which is more important than size. If we can keep the smaller lineman from getting tired with rotation we will be fine.

Comment

• Horn's O Line was definitely massive when I saw them on Thursday

'24, '31, '34, '36, '42, '67, '72, '74, '76, '80, '84, '92, '03, '05, '16 Bi-District Finalist

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobo99 View Post

Horn, Heath and Rockwalll have gargantuan lines every year and we beat these teams routinely and emphatically. Not sure about horn but both Rockwall teams have huge linemen and linebackers. This year we have depth which is more important than size. If we can keep the smaller lineman from getting tired with rotation we will be fine.
                  Sure, we beat those teams, and Im glad we do, but shouldnt the goal be a state championship caliber team? I still believe games are won in the trenches.
                  We need 2 more like Dearion and Reed on the D line. I watched them close Friday night. They both brought it and got it done the 2nd half. The other 2 Mauldin and Allen(?) that rotated, not as effective. Mauldin was getting hammered on the read options.

Comment

Horn's O Line was definitely massive when I saw them on Thursday
                    When I say "big" o lines, I mean big AND ATHLETIC O lines that can hammer for 4 quarters, i.e, SLC, Katy, etc... Deep playoff type O lines. I aint talking about Marshall and Mesquite.

Comment

• Two of our standout Lobos have been nominated as Smoaky.com East Texas Players of the Week, GO VOTE HERE: http://www.smoaky.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=162101

Last edited by Matthias; 09-05-2017, 07:59 AM.

Comment

• You have a pic of Lampkin in place of Dotrey. lol

Comment

• Man alive, I hate the gold with the black outline even worse than I hated just the plain gold looking at them side by side.

Comment

• Originally posted by WP4L™ View Post
                            You have a pic of Lampkin in place of Dotrey. lol

Fixed it...

Comment

Man alive, I hate the gold with the black outline even worse than I hated just the plain gold looking at them side by side.
                              I think white numbers outlined in gold would be pretty snazzy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matthias View Post

I think white numbers outlined in gold would be pretty snazzy.

Comment

Working...
                                X