No announcement yet.

*** Official Longview Lobo Thread - Home of LOBO Nation ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also, if after the first quarter it felt like "all Longview", then why did you say in another post that the game basically change when we kicked a field goal and made it 14-10 late in the third quarter? Listen I understand the lobos are a very good team this year, but in some posts y'all are saying we're a talented team that was a few deep pass connections away from making it a game and then in other posts you're basically saying it was a blowout and our defense sucks (Lobos moved the ball at will). Also that Hk would've made the score a lot worse than it was. Not trying to fight either, but figure it out. I'm honestly trying to understand what's the truth.
    LSU
    LUFKIN PANTHERS

2001 5A DIVISION II State Champs

R.I.P Coach Outlaw

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeC View Post
      truth be told, the "lord knows" statement was a just a little bit on the arrogant side.
      I think some of us need to revisit the meaning of the word arrogant. Arrogance is often associated with overly opinionated with little to no evidence. Unfortunately what I said doesn't fit that criteria. Besides that if anyone took it as arrogant....oh well. I cant and wont control how someone interprets something and dont really care to. Wasn't my intentions to come across like that but I definitely stand by what I said 100%....and many others have agreed with me. Many.

Plus I was making a general statement in a TEAM THREAD. I could understand if I went over in their territory talking noise, but I cant even make a lil statement like that in my own team thread??

lol I guess. Its not that deep honestly and isn't worth the drama.
      Last edited by WP4L™; 09-04-2017, 01:16 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lpack007 View Post

That and our starting Qb getting hurt when the game was tied.
        I was comparing the game styles.

Close at half, Longview came out and rushed the QB and got through the line enough and Lufkin couldn't handle it.

Longview passed more in the second half than they did in that game. But still, y'all couldn't handle our rushing attack Friday.
        THE HISTORY OF LONGVIEW LOBO FOOTBALL

1937 1A, 2018 6A DIVISION II STATE CHAMPIONS
        5A D1, 2008 4A D1, 2009 4A D1 State Finalist
        40 District Championships
        '47, '75, '10, '17 State Semi-Finalist
        '40, '86, '96, '02, '07, '15 State Quarterfinalist
        '04, '11, '12, '13, '20, '21 Regional Finalist
        '83, '85, '87, '89, '91, '93, '01, '06, '14, '19 Area Finalist
        '24, '31, '34, '36, '42, '67, '72, '74, '76, '80, '84, '92, '03, '05, '16 Bi-District Finalist

Comment

Also, if after the first quarter it felt like "all Longview", then why did you say in another post that the game basically change when we kicked a field goal and made it 14-10 late in the third quarter? Listen I understand the lobos are a very good team this year, but in some posts y'all are saying we're a talented team that was a few deep pass connections away from making it a game and then in other posts you're basically saying it was a blowout and our defense sucks (Lobos moved the ball at will). Also that Hk would've made the score a lot worse than it was. Not trying to fight either, but figure it out. I'm honestly trying to understand what's the truth.
          The game changed because our defense stood up and stopped y'all three consecutive times at the 1. I didn't say the game changed. I said it ended the game imo because Lufkin never got close again.

The play after the kickoff following the field goal, Longview went off on a 58 yard rush and boom 2 score game, and the flood gates opened.

Did Lufkin have chances to pull themselves back in the game? Sure. There were some overthrows and some drops. But there were also some huge huts that knocked the balls out as well and just yea. Outside of the first drive of the game, I thought our defense looked pretty good overall. Of course Lufkin was gonna move the ball, but I mean...holding Lufkin to 16 points in I believe 10 trips to our end of the field is pretty impressive.

The Lufkin offense though, did not move the ball (outside of the late score) at all after the long 17 play, nearly 8 minute drive to open the 2nd quarter. Longview completely dominated from that point on.

I've said enough about our offense with King and Carter in. Carter had one drive in the second quarter, two in the third. He scored on all of them. He fumbled his one drive in the fourth after plus yardage on Lufkin's side of the field. King had two drives in the fourth, he scored on one and took a knee after driving deep into Lufkin's end of the field at the end of the game.

Lufkin did a good job on offense keeping us off the field. But 6 total drives, with four touchdowns, one fumble and the other the game ending. Dominated.

i don't know if King would've made the score worse, because who knows what the play calling would've been. Lawson threw 8 passes in the first 10 plays. EIGHT. And seven of them were out to the flats. Just horrible play calling and did nothing for our game plan. It was ugly. That's why we're saying maybe if King or even Carter was in, the play calling would've been different and made the score worse.

'24, '31, '34, '36, '42, '67, '72, '74, '76, '80, '84, '92, '03, '05, '16 Bi-District Finalist

Comment

Also, if after the first quarter it felt like "all Longview", then why did you say in another post that the game basically change when we kicked a field goal and made it 14-10 late in the third quarter? Listen I understand the lobos are a very good team this year, but in some posts y'all are saying we're a talented team that was a few deep pass connections away from making it a game and then in other posts you're basically saying it was a blowout and our defense sucks (Lobos moved the ball at will). Also that Hk would've made the score a lot worse than it was. Not trying to fight either, but figure it out. I'm honestly trying to understand what's the truth.
            My opinion in a nutshell:
            1. Lawson's performance was below expectations (subpar) and in great part, as 07 stated, due to horrible play calling.
            2. Our defense, particularly in the first half, exhibited a lot to be desired and in some part due LP's size and athleticism and in great part because of the defensive package we were in.
            3. Carter, when given and opportunity, looked much better than Lawson. He looked like a Field General in comparison. And yes, his height, strength and determination, are factors that must not be ignored.
            4. LP, looking through my glasses, particularly during the first half and early in the 3rd quarter showed that they could move the ball against our D and up to that point was still in the game. Very impressed early on with their OL and running back (#5). I also recognized talent and athleticism at the WR spots - a few overthrown balls and drops otherwise... this could very well change as the season progresses. I think two factors lead to their demise, defensive adjustments on our part and fatigue (poor conditioning) on theirs.
            5. HK, the little time he was in the game, looked great -exhibited leadership and poise. What we do not and will never know is how much LP's conditioning and capitulation played into that. In other words, would he have been able to totally dominate a fresh LP defense early on. Honestly and to be fair, one can only speculate...
            6. LV - defensive adjustment was huge. They really got after LP making the game more difficult for them as a whole. Our defensive effort and our running game, as much as anything else, took over, which proved to be the dominant factor regardless who was under center. In short, it was a whole team effort that turned the tide.
            7. Pure speculation: We will never know what would have been "if for this" or "if for that". Speculation has little to no place in genuine discourse with exception to future planning.
            8. Early season: Mistakes and miscues. LP showed signs of being a potentially strong adversary. I've seen teams look terrible early on and then become a force to be reckoned with (e.g. 2011). LV - early on defensively did not live up to the hype but later on, turned it up a notch. Offensively, our running tandem sputtered at times but eventually displayed signs of greatness; passing game, specifically Carter and HK, presents us with a great problem to have. It is now up to our Coaching Staff to exploit the situation to a state of dynamism.
            9. Next...on to Marshall. Go Lobos! 1-0, 15 to go!

Comment

• List your biggest shocker of W1. Mine was ET's dismantling by Tulsa Union. Not that they lost an early season game on the road but how they were lambasted: 38-7!

Comment

• Question: How many of you are surprised that Rockwell defeated HP at home? Not I, just as I expected...other than the closeness of the final score, I am not surprised at all. I anticipated them winning by at least 14. This district is tough...better respect!

Comment

List your biggest shocker of W1. Mine was ET's dismantling by Tulsa Union. Not that they lost an early season game on the road but how they were lambasted: 38-7!
                  Trinity without Lineweaver just hasn't been the same, Trinity isn't the "Trinity" that we became accustomed to under Lineweaver. So it wasn't that shocking to me, they even loss their best DB to Mansfield in the off-season.

You could be seeing the same trend with McGuireless CHill.

To me...Judson drumming LT was the shocker. Don't get me wrong, I raved all off-season about Judson and picked them in pick em to beat LT BUT I didn't expect them to absolutely destroy LT. lol

Comment

Question: How many of you are surprised that Rockwell defeated HP at home? Not I, just as I expected...other than the closeness of the final score, I am not surprised at all. I anticipated them winning by at least 14. This district is tough...better respect!
                    I picked Rockwall to beat HP in pick em. Rockwall is pretty good...so not surprised.

What I am surprised about is HOW they went about winning the game. Their offense played much better than their defense and if you know anything about Rockwall, their defense has far more talent on that side of the ball than their offense.

Then again, look who their HC is. A Rodney Webb team will never have a bad offense.

Comment

List your biggest shocker of W1. Mine was ET's dismantling by Tulsa Union. Not that they lost an early season game on the road but how they were lambasted: 38-7!
                      Biggest shocker, I would agree with the Trinity scoreline. Not so much that they lost, cause I expected them to lose, but to get absolutely dominated like that was definitely shocked. Seeing Hebron fall to Plano after so many pegged them as their darkhorse this season shocked me a bit as well. Expected them to roll over Plano. Other than that, Lake Highlands dominating Mesquite like they did shook me a bit. I really thought Mesquite was going to improve this year, and obviously they still could..but not a good start for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by WP4L™ View Post
                        I picked Rockwall to beat HP in pick em. Rockwall is pretty good...so not surprised.

What I am surprised about is HOW they went about winning the game. Their offense played much better than their defense and if you know anything about Rockwall, their defense has far more talent on that side of the ball than their offense.

Then again, look who their HC is. A Rodney Webb team will never have a bad offense.
                        I would agree with that.

I fully expected Rockwall to win. That said, not even just about their offense playing much better than their defense...the fact that they had to come from behind to win against HP shocked me a bit.

Rockwall is definitely known for slow starts to the season so, but I shouldn't be that surprised. But I thought they would win by a couple scores. If I remember correctly, Highland Park was pretty senior laden last season and was replacing a lot of guys. I could be wrong on that but that's just what I remember. Expected better from the Jacket defense.

More interested to see how they do against Southlake anyways than I was against Highland Park.

Comment

• Originally posted by LoboFan07 View Post

More interested to see how they do against Southlake anyways than I was against Highland Park.
                          Yes.

They're going to smoke Rowlett this week but if they go to SLC and beat them in 2 weeks...or even have a good showing in a loss...that'll further validate our district being amongst the toughest in the state.

Last edited by WP4L™; 09-04-2017, 10:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WP4L™ View Post
                            Trinity without Lineweaver just hasn't been the same, Trinity isn't the "Trinity" that we became accustomed to under Lineweaver. So it wasn't that shocking to me, they even loss their best DB to Mansfield in the off-season.

You could be seeing the same trend with McGuireless CHill.

To me...Judson drumming LT was the shocker. Don't get me wrong, I raved all off-season about Judson and picked them in pick em to beat LT BUT I didn't expect them to absolutely destroy LT. lol
                            65-45 wow! I agree that Judson beating LT was less of a surprise than the onslaught of points/touchdowns they put on them. Wow again!

Comment

• So I decided to look over our history and see who we've had the most battles with for district championships etc.

Since 1933 (when we entered 1A), we've had 45 seasons that we've either won the district championship or finished 2nd in district.

By count, these are the teams and the times our games with them have decided the district championship. Some obviously had two or even a couple years there were three teams vying for that title/2nd place so there's multiple teams for that year.

John Tyler - 18
                              Marshall - 9
                              Texas High - 9
                              Lufkin - 6
                              Tyler Lee - 4
                              DeSoto - 2
                              Gladewater - 1
                              Kilgore - 1
                              Mesquite - 1
                              Mesquite Horn - 1
                              Nacogdoches - 1
                              Pine Tree - 1

I think it's staggering that in the 81 games we've played Cujo since 1933, that 22% of our games against them have determined a district championship.

Comment

Working...
                              X