*** Official Longview Lobo Thread - Home of LOBO Nation ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JoeC View Post

HP “should” be favored by at least 10 points? And this is based on what exactly?

And “If Longview has the same stupid penalites and mistakes that happened in 4 out of 5 games, they will lose this by 2 scores.” This seems unfinished to me. So what happens if we don’t have the stupid penalties and mistakes?

Glad I see it 180 degrees from what you anticipate. I think we take by at least 2 TD’s likely more (35-21).
    Lol come on man. I get being optimistic but we’re going into a stadium that this team doesn’t lose in with a quarterback that underthrows almost every pass (if not, then every other pass). With a defense that is filled with 15/16 year olds, that on top of it is extremely injured. Our boys constantly make stupid mistakes when it comes to penalties. Even in a good week such as this past one, we still had over 70 yards in penalties.

Even with HP’s own issues, we clearly are the underdogs in this. It wouldn’t be a miracle if we won it, but we clearly aren’t favorites. If we win by two touchdowns, I’d be absolutely ecstatic.
    THE HISTORY OF LONGVIEW LOBO FOOTBALL

1937 1A, 2018 6A DIVISION II STATE CHAMPIONS
    5A D1, 2008 4A D1, 2009 4A D1 State Finalist
    40 District Championships
    '47, '75, '10, '17 State Semi-Finalist
    '40, '86, '96, '02, '07, '15 State Quarterfinalist
    '04, '11, '12, '13, '20, '21 Regional Finalist
    '83, '85, '87, '89, '91, '93, '01, '06, '14, '19 Area Finalist
    '24, '31, '34, '36, '42, '67, '72, '74, '76, '80, '84, '92, '03, '05, '16 Bi-District Finalist

Comment

• Originally posted by GeeTee View Post

If I'm HP...I'm making the Qb beat me...
      This is exactly it. Load the freakin box and run blitz from different spots.

Comment

HP “should” be favored by at least 10 points? And this is based on what exactly? We are playing in their house where they do not lose. You are playing one of the best coaches in the history of THSFB and he WILL exploit the weaknesses of our YOUNG team. Our play has been inconsistent in most games and atrocious in others. Our QB play (regardless of who is in) has not been stellar. The last game was a step in the right direction, but we have a long way to go.

And “If Longview has the same stupid penalties and mistakes that happened in 4 out of 5 games, they will lose this by 2 scores.” This seems unfinished to me. So what happens if we don’t have the stupid penalties and mistakes? Let me just say that HP has always been good about playing "chippy" in a game. They are masters at baiting other teams who can't control themselves...and that has always been vintage Longview....more times than not we lose our cool when it can hurt us the most. But to answer your question, if we play a solid game both offensively and defensively such as taking the good parts of the Bryant and Wylie E game, I think we win.

Glad I see it 180 degrees from what you anticipate. I think we take by at least 2 TD’s likely more (35-21). I think this is the best possible outcome. If we can get to their QB and push him, it ends this way. But WE CAN'T be blind that they are the more consistent team this year...not the more talented, the more consistent...playing them at home with the consistency factor, accounts for the 10+ margin I give them.
        Ok, my friend...let me break it down for you. see above in Bold.
        Last edited by Kingwolf; 10-04-2021, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Glad I see it 180 degrees from what you anticipate. I think we take by at least 2 TD’s likely more (35-21).
          I will also say that I think people are underestimating the teams we have played or potentially over hyping the type of team we have. For example, Bryant was a really good team. That was a great win for our young team and crazy inconsistent play. It drives me crazy to hear people say that Bryant just hadn't really played anyone. They have and have dominated three ranked Arkansas teams. I believe Bryant is easily a top 10 team in 5aD1. I have watched every game they have played this year and they are solid.

Now, Highland Park...they are a good team. Not the same as last year but a good team none the less. They are a top 5 team in the state without a doubt. A win against them at home says something HUGE for how our team has grown.

We have a HISTORICALLY young team for our program and this coaching staff. One that makes mistakes and is crazy and frustratingly inconsistent. Factor in the switch to conservative play calling when something goes wrong, that is a recipe for a mediocre team. What these young men are doing is amazing to say the least. If that talent can put it together with decent QB play and play calling, we can beat any team in 5aD1.

Comment

HP “should” be favored by at least 10 points? And this is based on what exactly?
            The fact that....we dont have a QB, blocking is horrible, we are always seemingly trying to set a new penalties per game record, our play book resembles something from 1976, no breakaway Rb's, and we have too many very young players that need more experience.

Highland Park is extremely disciplined.

The one offensive bright spot is we have a "wasted" 5* receiver that has become awesome at snagging underthrown passes. He's had plenty of practice this season.

I have more, but that should get it started.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kingwolf View Post

This is exactly it. Load the freakin box and run blitz from different spots.
              Didn't they load the box last year? Nothing new there. Why do ya'll think they have been running Hale on the Jet Sweets?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rockin_L View Post

The fact that....we dont have a QB, blocking is horrible, we are always seemingly trying to set a new penalties per game record, our play book resembles something from 1976, no breakaway Rb's, and we have too many very young players that need more experience.

The one offensive bright spot is we have a "wasted" 5* receiver that has become awesome at snagging underthrown passes. He's had plenty of practice this season.

And yet Still. We stand at 5-1.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha_Dawg1 View Post

Didn't they load the box last year? Nothing new there. Why do ya'll think they have been running Hale on the Jet Sweets?
                  Exactly what they did last year but were able to change it up a little bit because a dominant Dline. I think they will have to commit more this year to be honest. I also don't like Hale on the jet sweep...it looks awful and too much chance of getting him injured.

Comment

Exactly what they did last year but were able to change it up a little bit because a dominant Dline. I think they will have to commit more this year to be honest. I also don't like Hale on the jet sweep...it looks awful and too much chance of getting him injured.
                    I hear ya on Not running him, but that is one way to combat a loaded box. I garauntee there is a counter to that play, and we wanted HP to see it.

Comment

I hear ya on Not running him, but that is one way to combat a loaded box. I guarantee there is a counter to that play, and we wanted HP to see it.
                      I can say that some of the different formations we were running out of got me thinking about what will happen in the HP game. I am hoping we can connect on a solid percentage of these short routes and keep them guessing. If there is a year to beat these guys at home, this is it.

Comment

I can say that some of the different formations we were running out of got me thinking about what will happen in the HP game. I am hoping we can connect on a solid percentage of these short routes and keep them guessing. If there is a year to beat these guys at home, this is it.
                        I agree. That's part of a solid game plan.

Comment

I hear ya on Not running him, but that is one way to combat a loaded box. I garauntee there is a counter to that play, and we wanted HP to see it.
                          Thought the same thing when I saw those two plays. King specifically ran those so that they would see them.

'24, '31, '34, '36, '42, '67, '72, '74, '76, '80, '84, '92, '03, '05, '16 Bi-District Finalist

Comment

Let me precurse this by saying that I definitely think this game is winnable, especially if Thomas is present....although injuries in the secondary are worrisome.

Now, I believe the topic at hand is "favorites to win". That has to be Highland Park. That doesn't mean that they will win, but they are definitely the favorites going into the matchup.

They are the defending district Champs. They have, in my eyes, the 2nd best HC in TXHSFB behind Gary Joseph at Katy. They've never lost a home district game under said HC...a streak that dates back to the Clinton Administration. We're down 10 soon as we get off the bus just from that fact alone. They have a top 3-5 QB in all of 5A D1 and anytime that you mix a genius HC with a D1 talent at the QB position....that's deadly. That's why our defense, as good as they've played this year, will be key Friday Night.

As I said before, the game is definitely winnable. I think we straight up have more talent than them on both sides of the ball and I know first hand that there will be new wrinkles. I think they are more battle tested at this point, but we have at least seen a team with similar scheme as HP (Bryant)...while they haven't seen a team like Longview this year. But then again, they got to watch two full games of Longview back to back weeks...probably even saw us in that Week 1 disaster.

I don't have a prediction this week, just sitting back and watching. But we are definitely the underdogs going into this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rockin_L View Post

I’m not gonna comment on the QB play, it’s been beaten to death. If we had even just a Gaylon Wiley type of QB, I think we win this by multiple scores. But we don’t.

I do think our blocking has to be given a bit of a pass…on the O Line at least. We are 6 games in and still haven’t had a single game with the same O Line due to injuries. It’s just unreal how hurt this team has truly been over the first two months of the season.

Lewis has been a great bright spot for us I feel, especially with Tatum being injured some.

I do think King has been building for this game, knowing Hp is the only one that should pose a threat to us. But who knows what that means. Hoping for some creativeness but not expecting it.

Comment

Another way to counter loaded box is Qb decision making and good play-calling. It frustrates me to be watching the game and see the LB creep to the edge and will still try to run play-action from the I. I guarantee we will get sacked atleast twice Friday from scenario.

Comment

Working...
                                X