*** Official Longview Lobo Thread - Home of LOBO Nation ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JoeC View Post

It does...helps a lot that is...thank you Sir.

Well Jaiden Simmons at 4’11”, I seriously hope Hudl has it wrong; of course, unless he has Spud Webb’e seismic type hops. Lol 😂I was hoping for Keenan Madden, Traveion Webster, Roshodrick Harmon, and Jalen Carr types...6’ - 6’2” height range DB’s. Kinda wishful thinking huh? It seems as though these WR keeps getting taller making coverage exceedingly difficult for the 5’8” guys.
    I think the size at DB is important, but i'd definitely take the speed over height. With the spread offenses these days, it makes sense. They might not be completely updated, that's just what i could find for you. Hopefully WP4L can give you a better list of it.

Comment

So I take it that Jaiden Simmons must also be a stud in his own rights...
      Yes, the Forest Park product can ball.

Comment

Could you please detail height, weight and speed (40 yrd dash) details for each of this group...
        CB Soph Willie Nelson - 5'10 160
        CB Soph Jaiden Simmons - 5'11 160 (2023 6'0 CB Ja'Kevyon Curry also in the mix)
        SS JR Ta'Darion Boone - 5'8 160 (started last year as a sophomore)
        S Soph Budhha Garrett - 6'0 170
        S SR Omarion Wallace (5'11 170)/JR Drake Mayfield (5'8 162)

Jalen Carr was 5'10 160 in high school for reference. Those sophomores will be towers by the time they're seniors.

Comment

• Originally posted by WP4L™ View Post

CB Soph Willie Nelson - 5'10 160
          CB Soph Jaiden Simmons - 5'11 160 (2023 6'0 CB Ja'Kevyon Curry also in the mix)
          SS JR Ta'Darion Boone - 5'8 160 (started last year as a sophomore)
          S Soph Budhha Garrett - 6'0 170
          S SR Omarion Wallace (5'11 170)/JR Drake Mayfield (5'8 162)

Jalen Carr was 5'10 160 in high school for reference. Those sophomores will be towers by the time they're seniors.

Yes Sir, I agree these young-sophomores-men should hit their growth spurts by Junior/Senior season. However, my immediate concern is the upcoming season and some rather diminutive sizes facing off against what is surely to be guys 6’ to 6’4”. As suspect, these young men must have hops.

Crazy thing about Jalen Carr...according to Longview (LHS) Home Roster, he shrunk during his senior campaign to 5’10” from 5’11 during his Junior season. Lol MaXPreps had him listed at 6’ his senior season.

Comment

Yes Sir, I agree these young-sophomores-men should hit their growth spurts by Junior/Senior season. However, my immediate concern is the upcoming season and some rather diminutive sizes facing off against what is surely to be guys 6’ to 6’4”. As suspect, these young men must have hops.
            The good thing about it is they'll go up against it everyday in practice (Hale and Wright).

Carr is 5'10.5 175 right now in college. I'm not concerned with the length in our secondary tbh if they have the speed and skillset. Corners like Ameron Dean and Base (Chris Lacy) weren't the biggest ones in the room, but man could they run and cover their you know what off. Plus 5'10 and 5'11 is good length for HS corners anyway.

Concerning the the secondary, I'm more so curious than worried. If things hold, this will be the first time we've started sophomores at both CB spots and a 3rd at safety in a very long time. It has never happened at all since King has been on campus.
            Last edited by WP4L™; 05-03-2021, 07:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WP4L™ View Post
              The good thing about it is they'll go up against it everyday in practice (Hale and Wright).

Carr is 5'10.5 175 right now in college. I'm not concerned with the length in our secondary tbh if they have the speed and skillset. Corners like Ameron Dean and Base (Chris Lacy) weren't the biggest ones in the room, but man could they run and cover their you know what off. Plus 5'10 and 5'11 is good length for HS corners anyway.

Concerning the the secondary, I'm more so curious than worried. If things hold, this will be the first time we've started sophomores at both CB spots and a 3rd at safety in a very long time. It has never happened at all since King has been on campus.
              Agreed, 5’10 - 6’ is the ideal height range for HS corners. This is particularly true if graced with athleticism and physical/mental toughness (moxie, cojones, etc.). My concern and as is reasonable, is with 5’8” corners going up against 6’2” - 6’3” wideouts with expansive wing spans, with gunslinger QB’s and DC’s looking to exploit this as a presumed weakness. This is bound to happen during the course of a rigorous 16 game season (😏). It’s not an if but a when and how often at this level. I also agree that sophomore corners would be a huge leap in coaching philosophy for our program. And man...would it make for interesting Junior and Senior campaigns for Lobo football.

The potential and possibilities for the next three seasons are unbounded. Go Lobos and to hell with everybody else! Beat DR and HP and a second time if necessary! Going for the Gold baby!!!!

Comment

• Three teams continue to make their case to Rivals100 WR Jalen Hale out of Longview (TX). More on the persistence of Oklahoma, Alabama and Ohio State + the push for one of the nation's best in 2023

STORY: https://t.co/rfvMWwsogf https://t.co/rjjzygY2eg

Anyone have a rivals sub. And don't mind screen shooting the story for us 🐺

Comment

• Spring offensive thoughts + lineups so far:

QB - JR Jordan Allen (6'1 190) | SR Josh Thomas (6'1 190)
                  Just to get people caught up on who these two are, Allen started for the Lobos last year as a sophomore while Thomas transferred to the program a few months back. Thomas threw for 1300+ yards in 6 games last year and has an offer on the table. His brother Kylan Thomas is playing DB on the D1 level and Malik Cannon, a great DB on the 2019 team, is his cousin. So far, I've actually been pleased with both. Allen has gotten a lot bigger, faster, more confident... much better than he was last year. Very smart and protects the ball well. Short to intermediate passes have been neck and neck, Thomas does throw a prettier ball and has the quicker release but both QBs are good here. The deep ball however goes to Thomas. Its beyond the arm strength and accuracy, his timing and touch is beautiful. Its sort of like those rainbow balls that you see Russell Wilson throw in the NFL. Regardless of who gets it, looks like QB will be far ahead of where it was last year. If I had to lean a way, I like Thomas a little more.

RB - Soph RB Taylor Tatum (5'11.5 190) | SR RB Jarrett Lewis (5'10 180) | SR ATH Dekalon Taylor (5'7 160) | SR RB Jon Bates (5'4 130)
                  The Spring so far has been a heavy dose of Lewis and Bates with Tatum in baseball and Taylor gearing up for the state track meet. But early indication is this will be a position by committee with Tatum ultimately getting most of the carries. Just a quick rundown on these 4 players, Tatum is one of the best 2024 RB's in the state if not the country (the spring roster actually has him at 6'0), Lewis was RB1 on JV last season, Dekalon Taylor "#9" spent time at both WR and RB last year, and is the fastest player on the team....while Bates was a backup RB on varsity last year. Solid depth here...all of these guys are talents. Bates in particular has been a surprise for me this spring. I wasn't particularly impressed by him a year ago but man has he been one of the more impressive offensive players this spring. Lewis is well built with great vision, I think people will be surprised at how well he runs the ball this fall.

FB - SR ATH Isaiah Harris (6'0 235) | SR Ken McFarland (5'9 190)
                  A position that had a big question mark for me this spring with Markevion Haynes gone is now one of the strongest positions on the team in my opinion. Why? Because Isaiah Harris was moved from QB to FB and he is a load. Sort of reminds you of the Deontre Wilson QB to FB move back in 2010-2011 and we all remember the stud that he was. Ken McFarland is a tough runner and blocker too. If both stay healthy, this is a great two headed FB attack for the fall.

WR1 - JR Jalen Hale (6'3 185) | WR2 - JR Jartaivan Wright (6'4 190) | WR3 - JR Amarian Hamilton (5'8 160)
                  With the #1 2023 WR in TX (#2 WR in the nation) Jalen Hale gearing up for the state track meet this weekend, he hasn't dressed out fully for spring ball so far. But, that has allowed others at the position to be in the spotlight and as suspected before spring ball even started, this is the most loaded position on the entire team. I flat out have never seen this much WR talent on one Lobo team. We all know what Hale brings to the table but let me introduce you all to Jartaivan Wright, also a P5 talent. Wright reminds me a lot of David Robinson from the 2005 team....tall rangy WR with speed and tremendous ability to high point the ball. Can also run the entire route tree very well. Then there's Hamilton, who reminds me a bit of those short slot guys that you often see in Lufkin like Keke Coutee and Ralph Thomas. By the way, Hale (Foster), Hamilton (Judson) and Wright (Forest Park) is a classic example of how great the 3 middle school system in LISD is at pumping talent into the program.

TE - SR TE1 De'Qualin Vaughn (6'3 230) | TE2 SR Victor Bush (6'0 200)
                  TE depth was a concern for me going into the spring, but the staff made a huge position move that I believe will benefit the team greatly down the road. Vaughn made the move to TE from LT where he started in '20. What this did was not only enhance the depth but replace the size of Justin Beltran, and may even enhance blocking because essentially, we'll now have 6 pure blockers up front with Vaughn also having the ability to step out and catch a pass or two. The other half of the duo is Victor Bush, who was TE3 on varsity last year. He will be more of the receiving TE, compares to Cody Taylor from the 2008 team. Nice TE duo we'll have this fall.

OL - JR LT Jax Norman (6'1 230) | JR LG Blair Williams (6'1 320) | JR C Mongo Williams (6'0 250) | SR RG Christian Arnett (6'2 270) | SR RT Jesse Fairchild (6'2 255)
                  The OL has been an area of constant shuffling and different combinations, but the lineup above seems to be the most consistent. Norman started at RT as a sophomore in '20 and makes the move to LT. Solid player. Blair Williams was the backup LG on varsity as a sophomore last season and has D1 potential. One of the biggest stories in spring so far is Fairchild moving from defense to offensive tackle. Many Lobo fans including myself were probably looking forward to seeing him on the DL this year but it looks like he will call the OL home in '21. Norman, Williams (Blair) and Fairchild appear to be pretty solid at their positions. Center and Guard (wherever Blair doesn't play because he could play right or left guard) are still seeing competition. Mongo Williams is pretty solid from what I've seen but sophomore Tavion Morgan is certainly making his case for that C spot. Christopher Clodfelter (6'3 280) is another to watch at guard.
                  Last edited by WP4L™; 05-05-2021, 10:44 PM.

Comment

• Spring defensive thoughts + lineups so far:

DL - JR DE JJ Rougely (6'2 215) | SR DT Dekayron Stanford (6'2 250) | SR DT Leonard Epps (5'7 210) | Soph DE Chris Head (5'11 195)
                    The elite pass rushing and block shedding ability of Rougley, Stanford and Head is part of the reason Fairchild was flipped to the offensive side. I've been talking about Rougley since he stepped foot on the LHS campus, so we should all be familiar with him but if you aren't know this: you are about to witness one of the best backfield penetrators from the DE position in quite some time. Spring roster lists him at 225 but I spoke with '85 (who trains Rougely) at one of the practices and he says JJ has went down to a more ripped 215-220lbs. Regardless, he's an impressive looking player. I see a lot of Roderick Allen in Rougley, who played on the 2003 and 2004 teams. Stanford was a good block shedder for last years' defensive line and looks even better this year. Epps was a backup on varsity last season. One of the strongest players on the team, the idea is for him to hold his point and force double teams and he has done a good job of that. Head was a phenomenal DE on the freshman team in '20, solid DE for the future who looks to be making his varsity debut sooner rather than later. Another thing to know about the DL is depth. There's an 8 man rotation along the defensive front. Other names to know: SR DE Kaleb Woolridge (6'0 200), SR DE Hudson Loyd (5'11 205), JR DL Omarion Watkins (6'0 265) and JR DL Ethon Polty (6'1 260).

LB - SR Mike Devean Isaac (5'11 210) | JR Sam Kaden Brooks (5'11 185)
                    LB play is the 2nd reason that this will be another strong defensive front in 2021. To keep it brief, Isaac is coming off an impressive season, has a a D1 offer on the table and has been a strong leader this spring. Brooks is coming off a strong year on JV and an even stronger offseason winning Ironman. Solid LB tandem.

Secondary - JR SS JR Ta'Darion Boone (5'8 160) | S SR Omarion Wallace (5'11 170) | S Soph Budhha Garrett (6'0 170) | CB Soph Willie Nelson (5'10 160) | CB Soph Jaiden Simmons (5'11 160)
                    For many of us, the secondary was and still is a key area to look at this spring with Boone being the only returning starter. Coach King did say that he expected the 2023 and 2024 classes to fill holes on defense, and he wasn't lying. 3 players from that talented 2024 group look to be making strong cases for starting in this years' secondary, which is a very unique situation. Longview has never started 3 sophomores in the secondary in King's 21 seasons at Longview High. So I am really curious to see how the youth responds to the spotlight. I'll be honest though, Nelson and Garrett have turned in strong springs especially Willie Nelson. You wouldn't even know that those two are currently freshmen by the way that they play. Both have been great at camps this far too. In fact, Nelson and Garrett have both received either MVPs or invites to major camps due to their camp performances. Simmons has shown flashes and is coming along too. Those 3 will play next level for sure. There are 2-3 other players in the mix but this will more than likely be the 2021 Longview Lobo secondary. How good will they be? I honestly do not believe that we will know the answer to that question until the season. The interesting player is Wallace. I know what I am getting with the other 4, but Wallace is a bit of a mystery. I know he had a good year down on the JV last season...and I always say that Longview seems to always have that one SR that comes out of nowhere and has a breakout year. Could that be Wallace?

Last edited by WP4L™; 05-06-2021, 09:29 AM.

Comment

• WP4L™ this is an amazing breakdown of what we have coming back. It is evident that our secondary is going to be a real unknown for us. We are going to see some wide open offenses with our predistrict schedule. Hopefully they can adjust to different schemes and learn early in the season.

The only other concern I would have is the size of our LT. He is a solid player but we will face some fierce DE who are enormous.

Comment

• I read pretty much all the team threads on this site and I just want to say you LV fans are the most engaged with in-depth knowledge that you share by far than any other fan base. Enjoy reading your content and insight. Thanks!

Comment

• The LT started every game at Right tackle as a sophomore! Very good player.

Comment

• Originally posted by jbell73986 View Post
                            I read pretty much all the team threads on this site and I just want to say you LV fans are the most engaged with in-depth knowledge that you share by far than any other fan base. Enjoy reading your content and insight. Thanks!
                            Thanks, its all fun and enjoyment. We're also crazy about our Lobos lol

You heard about SJB wanting to come to Texas this year?
                            Last edited by WP4L™; 05-06-2021, 09:50 AM.

Comment

• Team will improved but defense looks very very small .

Comment

• Go Lobos!

Comment

Working...
                                X