*** Official Longview Lobo Thread - Home of LOBO Nation ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JoeC View Post

I agree, these two young men will be a two-headed monster. I also agree that our QB’s will have to step up to the challenge required in feeding the monster. Even so, this is the least of my concern. My greatest concern is with the secondary. The most prolific offense in the world [on its own] still may not get you there. There’s a lots of truth to that saying “the best offense is a great defense.” We must not ever forget and under-appreciate that had it not been for Tyshawn Taylor’s forced fumble, we may not have that championship trophy housed in our trophy case.

Can anybody provide a lowdown on our anticipated secondary/db’s, particularly the projected corners... IMO, this will either make or break our season.
    Amarian Hamilton too....and we'll get to see that monster RB/WR Dekalon Taylor after his state track meet and baseball. 2024 stud Dekaylen Reese (6'2) will be a varsity WR too after being a stud CB for the freshmen team in '20. 2024 Ethan Harrison (6'1) has been practicing with varsity too.

Something else that happened, the staff converted returning starting LT De'qualin Vaughn to TE1. Now we have a TE tandem of Victor Bush and Vaughn (6'2-6'3 230).

Targets all over the place.

And yes, secondary is the largest area to keep an eye on. As a matter of fact, the 3 main areas to keep an eye on are:

Secondary (specifically CB)
    OL
    K/P

They've been trying different combinations in the secondary. The most consistent lineup has probably been:

CB Soph Willie Nelson
    CB Soph Jaiden Simmons
    SS JR Ta'Darion Boone
    S Soph Budhha Garrett
    S SR Omarion Wallace/JR Drake Mayfield

Comment

• Originally posted by WP4L™ View Post
      Amarian Hamilton too....and we'll get to see that monster RB/WR Dekalon Taylor after his state track meet and baseball. 2024 stud Dekaylen Reese (6'2) will be a varsity WR too after being a stud CB for the freshmen team in '20. 2024 Ethan Harrison (6'1) has been practicing with varsity too.

Something else that happened, the staff converted returning starting LT De'qualin Vaughn to TE1. Now we have a TE tandem of Victor Bush and Vaughn (6'2-6'3 230).

Targets all over the place.

And yes, secondary is the largest area to keep an eye on. As a matter of fact, the 3 main areas to keep an eye on are:

Secondary (specifically CB)
      OL
      K/P

They've been trying different combinations in the secondary. The most consistent lineup has probably been:

CB Soph Willie Nelson
      CB Soph Jaiden Simmons
      SS JR Ta'Darion Boone
      S Soph Budhha Garrett
      S SR Omarion Wallace/JR Drake Mayfield
      Hamilton and JT Wright both had good days today! And the best catch of the day was by #22. Not sure who he is. On defense, Nelson had another good day. Defense overall looks good so far!

Comment

• Originally posted by oldetexfan View Post

Hamilton and JT Wright both had good days today! And the best catch of the day was by #22. Not sure who he is. On defense, Nelson had another good day. Defense overall looks good so far!
        22 is SR WR Malik Lewis (5'10 170)....started on JV last year.

I made an unscheduled stop briefly today. Willie Nelson is going to be a great CB for the future. He gave Wright fits and Wright is a stud.

Also, I like both of our QB options, but I definitely like one over the other.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobos99 View Post
          Pretty much every team needs to defend the pass. In today’s game you must. But, it’s more of how good a pass rush you have to be honest ! Pressure equals interceptions! Our offense last year was this teams problem. Fix that , have a great front 7, good tackling linebackers and safeties and the corners will be such an issue. Pressure defense !
          Yes Sir, I agree with you both, you and LoboFan07. Without question, we need a strong pass rush; in addition, we must also be able to defend well. Some of today’s HS O-Lines have the size of a Fleet of Mack Trucks...making it imperative that we’re able to defend well. Great coverage is also a key cog in the defensive wheel. I have a strong affinity for coverage sacks. IMO, it was our inability to defend Ja'tavion Sanders last season that eventually led to our demise. We were lacking in height and/or jumping ability and physical strength. Last year we had the athleticism but lacked the muscle (physicality). We need some size and toughness to go along with that athleticism; otherwise, we may find ourselves undesirably embroiled in track meets.
          Last edited by JoeC; 04-30-2021, 04:28 AM.

Comment

• If anyone still have doubt who has the best football Texas again had more people drafted yesterday and probably continue today 😎

Comment

• Originally posted by WolverBean View Post
              If anyone still have doubt who has the best football Texas again had more people drafted yesterday and probably continue today 😎
              I thought we only had 2 drafted yesterday? Did we have more?

Comment

• Think Tx had 3 and Ga the most with 5 or 6

Comment

• Originally posted by GoLobos View Post
                  Think Tx had 3 and Ga the most with 5 or 6
                  I figured GA did better. Texas underperformed GA because the B12 had 0 first rounders.
                  Last edited by jbell73986; 04-30-2021, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• 13 players for Texas round 2

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeC View Post
                      A
                      Yes Sir, I agree with you both, you and LoboFan07. Without question, we need a strong pass rush
                      With Stanford, Fairchild and especially Rougley....pass rushing wont be an issue.

Now Fairchild is actually getting work on both the OL and DL so we dont know where he will be yet...but if he's on the DL...I'll make a bold prediction that this will be a top 5 John King pass rushing defense.

Devean Isaac and Kaden Brooks have impressed at linebacker too and there will be packages where Isaac is lined up at DE....mainly an edge rusher just like you all saw in '20. Those will be deadly.

Comment

With Stanford, Fairchild and especially Rougley....pass rushing wont be an issue.

Now Fairchild is actually getting work on both the OL and DL so we dont know where he will be yet...but if he's on the DL...I'll make a bold prediction that this will be a top 5 John King pass rushing defense.

Devean Isaac and Kaden Brooks have impressed at linebacker too and there will be packages where Isaac is lined up at DE....mainly an edge rusher just like you all saw in '20. Those will be deadly.
                        Have we heard anything out of HP for Spring ball? I think you said they got a transfer in at QB again, wondering how they were looking.
                        THE HISTORY OF LONGVIEW LOBO FOOTBALL

1937 1A, 2018 6A DIVISION II STATE CHAMPIONS
                        5A D1, 2008 4A D1, 2009 4A D1 State Finalist
                        40 District Championships
                        '47, '75, '10, '17 State Semi-Finalist
                        '40, '86, '96, '02, '07, '15 State Quarterfinalist
                        '04, '11, '12, '13, '20 Regional Finalist
                        '83, '85, '87, '89, '91, '93, '01, '06, '14, '19 Area Finalist
                        '24, '31, '34, '36, '42, '67, '72, '74, '76, '80, '84, '92, '03, '05, '16 Bi-District Finalist

Comment

• Originally posted by LoboFan07 View Post

Have we heard anything out of HP for Spring ball? I think you said they got a transfer in at QB again, wondering how they were looking.
                          Yeah, they had Hayden Ferguson transfer in but there is no doubt that Brennan Storer will be QB1. Dangerous player.

Comment

Yeah, they had Hayden Ferguson transfer in but there is no doubt that Brennan Storer will be QB1. Dangerous player.
                            Freshman Highlights:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4610829...9d75082caf4d2a

4-Star Dual-threat QB class of 2023. Listed as 5’11” 175. Hit List recruit has offers on the table from Kansas, Texas State, Kent State, and Illinois State.

Comment

he didnt do much against our freshman tho? well then again who did lol

Comment

• Originally posted by WolverBean View Post

he didnt do much against our freshman tho? well then again who did lol
                                Storer was QB2 on varsity last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X