*** Official Longview Lobo Thread - Home of LOBO Nation ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WP4L™ View Post
    I certainly cant remember a year when cold temps were in the forecast for the beginning of spring ball. Crazy.
    August 2017, temps were in the 50s as my son started 7th grade football. His practices were AM and it was freaking cold. Crazy.

Comment

I certainly cant remember a year when cold temps were in the forecast for the beginning of spring ball. Crazy.
      The weather cant make up it's mind last weekend was 85 this weekend 50s

Comment

• Originally posted by WolverBean View Post

The weather cant make up it's mind last weekend was 85 this weekend 50s
        I have over 11 years Environmental Management experience. I cordially invite anyone with an open-mind to go the Netflix and watch the Documentary: “David Attenborough: A Life on Our Planet”. This will shed some light. There’s inarguably an onslaught (assault) on this planets’ biodiversity.

Comment

If Allen is QB1, he'll have beaten a QB with a college offer. If he doesnt, our QB1 will be someone with a college offer.

Either way, good for us.
          I tend to agree Sir, shake it up and let the cream rise to the top. All things considered with a group as talented as this, QB2 is not a death sentence by any stretch of the imagination.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeC View Post

I tend to agree Sir, shake it up and let the cream rise to the top. All things considered with a group as talented as this, QB2 is not a death sentence by any stretch of the imagination.
            That last sentence is a lost art in todays sports unfortunately.

Nothing wrong with being a quality backup.

Comment

Man, if he earns it and we all care about the best players being on the field and we all want to maximize these wideouts as much as possible...there should be zero uproar.

Heavy emphasis on earning it, Allen is far ahead of where he was a year ago. Starting to look like a slightly more athletic version of Bivins Caraway. Still need to see his arm strength in the fall.

But Thomas is intriguing. I dont think this will be another case of Michael Ross in 85% of 2015, this dude can play. It's hard to give him a comp when comparing him to past Lobo QBs....I guess its more like Pete Robertson but with a much better pure ability to throw the ball.

Can't wait to see these two in pads in a few days.
              I just don't want any of Longview wr corps talents minimized at all this year! We have a state caliber team this year! Starter last year looked more comfortable running option/zone read plays toward very end of the year. Watched few of his camp throws and it's the wind up and release that jumps out for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by GeeTee View Post

I just don't want any of Longview wr corps talents minimized at all this year! We have a state caliber team this year! Starter last year looked more comfortable running option/zone read plays toward very end of the year. Watched few of his camp throws and it's the wind up and release that jumps out for me.
                We definitely see eye to eye.

Comment

• Has anyone ever seen a race in which everybody ended up in first place? Me either. Sometimes in life being second or third although seemingly a curse, ends up being a blessing in disguise. Sometimes...being sandwiched in between numbers 1 and 3 makes a person mentally and physically stronger and in the process, more resilient.

Seemingly, everybody is talking about his (Allen’s) wind up, release and arm strength and rightfully so; however, it must also be noted that these perceived tangibles are modifiable (transmutable). At the same time, fixation on these attributes often causes us to ignore the size of that vital intangible organ underneath the skin or outer shell, his heart. This is that thing inside a person that’s near impossible to measure often describable as fortitude, spirit or that it factor. And did he ever display “it” against LP, Lancaster and particularly, against Ryan...

Usain Bolt early years were spent playing cricket and football (soccer). After being introduced to track, he [and his coach] worked (adjusted and modified) his way up from several third and second place finishes and well, we know the rest of the story. Serena Williams spent almost all of her early years playing second fiddle to her big sister, Venus. And we all know the 6th round pick bench riding Tom Brady story. All of these individuals had something unseen by the naked-eye, namely heart, determination - an unwillingness to linger in second place.

But hey, this is what we humans do. We, over time, develop these programmed biases, run with them ofttimes, denying others entry in the race. We tend to measure a man by his outward appearances, his apparent (visual, measurable) strengths and weaknesses; oftentimes misguided, because we can’t measure what’s inside a person, we set about dismissing those inner attributes. Again, I say shake it up and let the cream rise to the top. Let’s not persecute the [young man] before the trial (pun intended).

Let’s [try] not being so quick to judge what is seemingly apparent all while not considering what is not so apparent. Let’s gain a new understanding that humans are malleable particularly young humans and are not some preformed robots to be neatly tucked inside a box. Besides with concussion protocols in place and the possibility of other long and/or short term injuries, every GREAT TEAM needs a GOOD No. 2 backing up No. 1 [just in case]. Again, as stated in an earlier post (#1287), “What a great problem to have!”

Go Lobos and to hell with all the rest! Beat Ryan! 🤨😡
                  Last edited by JoeC; 04-19-2021, 07:26 AM.

Comment

• I'll post the starting lineup at the end of each week.

5 areas to keep an eye on going into spring:

1. QB, we've been talking about it all offseason so, no need to expand on it.

2. Secondary, namely the cornerback spots.

3. Kicker/punter, with Onofre and Powell graduated...the K/P position(s) are perhaps the biggest question marks of the offseason

4. OL, which should be a strength for us, now has a hole at center. I have no doubt that we'll have a great and sizable offensive line this fall, but watching it come together this spring will be fun.

5. Just how much youth are we willing to start next season? We all know that the 2024 class is special, but we also know that King and co are really big on starting seniors. Can Taylor Tatum solidify at least a part time spot at RB? Will Tutt be on varsity? A lot of questions to be answered in the secondary....will 2024 studs Buddha Garrett, Willie Nelson, Jaiden Simmons or DK Reese be able to solidify a position? Jaymerson Darensbourg, Billy Smith, Andrew Pierce....studs everywhere. I mean that group may be young but they're also talented as hell. To me, they can contribute on varsity but we will see.

Comment

I'll post the starting lineup at the end of each week.

3. Kicker/punter, with Onofre and Powell graduated...the K/P position(s) are perhaps the biggest question marks of the offseason

4. OL, which should be a strength for us, now has a hole at center. I have no doubt that we'll have a great and sizable offensive line this fall, but watching it come together this spring will be fun.

5. Just how much youth are we willing to start next season? We all know that the 2024 class is special, but we also know that King and co are really big on starting seniors. Can Taylor Tatum solidify at least a part time spot at RB? Will Tutt be on varsity? A lot of questions to be answered in the secondary....will 2024 studs Buddha Garrett, Willie Nelson, Jaiden Simmons or DK Reese be able to solidify a position? Jaymerson Darensbourg, Billy Smith, Andrew Pierce....studs everywhere. I mean that group may be young but they're also talented as hell. To me, they can contribute on varsity but we will see.
                      What happened to Conner Cox?

Comment

I'll post the starting lineup at the end of each week.

Can hardly wait to get your thoughts on the secondary. Since this is where most coaches take aim at exploiting nowadays, this is a concern for me.

Comment

Isn’t it as most polled women say, “bullheadedness is the manly way”. It’s called ego wrapped in testosterone. Even so, to a certain extent, I tend agree but at the same time, as a man, I find it difficult to blame him for trying. We, us men, would like to believe our warriors can take on any warriors Mano e Mano until proven differently. Maybe there’s more fault in as you’ve alluded, it was his slowness in making the necessary adjustments that lead to our downfall on that blustery day. Still, with all things considered, I tend to believe that we were just outmanned as opposed to finding unimpeachable fault in his game plan and bullheadedness. Remove 2 players from DR team, which are now gone, and I believe we [and King] finds a way to win that game.

Now, with respect to Surratt, peoples [lots of peoples seemingly] should reserve their comments when comparing him to King because IMO (most humble), there’s none. My girlfriend sons (2) played for Carthage 2018-2020 during which time I have attended somewhere in the neighborhood of a dozen or so games including scrimmages and 2 SC’s and to put it mildly, I am not upper level impressed with Surratt’s coaching. I’ve seen him get away with some dumb bullheaded-**** too but in 4A that he’d never get away with in 5A Div. 1 and 6A Div.2 where the athleticism is on a whole different level. Just because a particular coaching style is effective at the lower level, does not mean it will carryover to a higher level. In the same vein, coaching success at the HS to College level and College to NFL, does not automatically correlate to success at those higher levels. Just ask Austin Lake Travis. We must remember that LT won 5 consecutive State Championships in 4A, which is the equivalence of today’s 5A. LT haven’t even come close to replicating that same dominance since moving up to 5A/6A (UIL added 6A in 2014). Since 2012 and moving up in classification, LT has managed to play for the Texas State Championship three (3) times, winning once (1) in 2016. That’s winning gold once in 8 years in the upper classification compared to 5 in a row (2007-2011) in the lower classification. Just because you can pull this off in the lower level, a Super Coach and/or Program it does not make at the upper level. Year in and year out Carthage [and Surratt] is one of the largest schools in its Division; on the other hand, Longview [and King] is one of the smallest schools in its Division. Every time Carthage [and Surratt] schedules a 5A team, which is rare I might add, they struggle to win. In 2015 Carthage [and Surratt] lost to Hallsville 39-38 at home and struggled to get past Nacogdoches 28-25 yet they advanced all the 4A semis while Hallsville managed but 7 wins and a second round exit in 5A. That same year, Longview [and King] beat Hallsville like a drum 63-20 and this was with King playing the nice guy role (calling off dogs). Another example was 2018, a year in which Carthage [and Surratt] narrowly escaped Marshall 35-32 thanks to a called back TD, which just happens to be the same year Longview [and King] destroyed Marshall 60-14. That same year Carthage went to the semis in 4A while Marshall was knocked out in round 3 of 5A playoffs. So much for those vacuously-romantics saying Carthage [and Surratt] can beat Longview [and King]. Preposterous - the absurdity of it all! These are just a couple of examples as Surratt avoids playing 5A and higher-level competitive Programs, like avoiding the bubonic plague. This is unlike Aledo and other Texas HS dynasties. This is how he protects the myth of his false legend and over inflated-ego. Listen, 4A competitive level is no match for 5AD1/6AD2 and nor is the coaching capacity of Surratt better than that of Coach King. To assume that it is, is simply not thinking it all the way through. But hey, Critical Thinking is in short supply nowadays. Most peoples of the internet/social media age operate from an emotional frame. Not to mention that Surratt is embroiled in politics that wouldn’t set well in Longview. No Sir, even if made available, IMO, it would prove to be a grave miscarriage to trade “our King” for Surratt (Sir-Rat).

I do somewhat apologize for this rather verbose rebuttal but in my eyes you levied an unfair diatribe against our Coach K. Sorry but when any of our fans attack our Coach K, that’ll cause a fight with me every time - nothing personal. He’s not perfect but he’s what we’ve got and I can’t think of anyone off the top of my head that I’d trade him for. Peace! 😎

Go Lobos [and Coach King] all the way to State but first beat DR and HP along the way!!!
                          KMSL!!! 🤣😂🤣😂 Man, tell us how you REALLY feel about Surratt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Quick View Post

KMSL!!! 🤣😂🤣😂 Man, tell us how you REALLY feel about Surratt.
                            Oh don’t get me wrong, I think he’s a good coach but at the 4A level at best. However, I do not place him in “elite” coach status by any sense of the word. IMO, an elite coach would find success at any level whether it be 4A thru 6A as well as the college ranks. I’d challenge him to prove it by stepping out on a limb and scheduling some more-prominent competition. Also, there are those unmentionable practices - often discussed within the Carthage community/fan base but is concealed in whispers since winning overshadows uprightness.

Here’s just one of many examples that I have witnessed. I attended their 2019 semifinals game against Lampasas, which Carthage won 49-42. Let me just put it this way, the better of the 2 teams lost that game. Lampasas was up 20-14 with 18 seconds left in the half when for some reason unbeknownst to me and probably in retrospect, their fan base as well, their staff elected to throw a pass from their end of field, which resulted in a fluke (tipped ball) pick six putting Carthage up 21-20 at the half. For some even stranger reason with Carthage up 49-42 with less than 2 minutes left in the game (I recall 1:23 or thereabouts) Surratt elects to pooch-kick the kick off giving Lampasas a short field near mid-field. OMG 😮Let me just say, Lampasas ran out of clock ⏰. When the game ended, Lapassas was well inside the red zone. It would be an understatement to say “That game ended in a frenzy”. When Surratt pooch-kicked that ball and considering that Carthage had been unable to stop Lampasas all game, I almost lost my freakin mind. 🥴 Ok, now to be fair, this one example alone clearly does not make him a bad coach; however, it does make his decision making suspect.

Oh by the way but related, I also attended the 2020 SC win over Gilmer and took heavy-hearted displeasure watching them up 56-14 with 6 minutes left in the game with starters still in, on both sides of the ball and intentionally running up the score 🤬(Final 70-14). First and foremost, those are kids and that too me (IMO), was a clear display of unsavoriness on his part; but hey, all is fair for the sake of notoriety - right? Or just maybe he despises Gilmer’s coach and the kids just got caught in the crossfire? Now if this happened just once or twice even; unfortunately, this is not atypical - after watching several of Carthage games [under Surratt], it’s become very apparent to me that his self-inflated ego depends on it for survival, his viability and Legendary status. He is a “Bully Coach” that depends on abusing kids to pump up his delicate ego. A true narcissist at heart. He is the absolute dichotomy of Coach K. that does not deserve the descriptive “elite” except maybe “elite buttocks-hole”. As someone with over 15 years mentoring young folks, his coaching style [at times] makes me want to puke. 🤨🤢Now that my friend, is how I REALLY feel. 🤷🏾‍♂️😎

On to a better subject: Go Lobos and Coach King and to hell with everybody else - all the way to State and while at it...beat DR and HP, along the way! Lol 😂

Comment

Oh don’t get me wrong, I think he’s a good coach but at the 4A level at best. However, I do not place him in “elite” coach status by any sense of the word. IMO, an elite coach would find success at any level whether it be 4A thru 6A as well as the college ranks. I’d challenge him to prove it by stepping out on a limb and scheduling some more-prominent competition. Also, there are those unmentionable practices - often discussed within the Carthage community/fan base but is concealed in whispers since winning overshadows uprightness.

Here’s just one of many examples that I have witnessed. I attended their 2019 semifinals game against Lampasas, which Carthage won 49-42. Let me just put it this way, the better of the 2 teams lost that game. Lampasas was up 20-14 with 18 seconds left in the half when for some reason unbeknownst to me and probably in retrospect, their fan base as well, their staff elected to throw a pass from their end of field, which resulted in a fluke (tipped ball) pick six putting Carthage up 21-20 at the half. For some even stranger reason with Carthage up 49-42 with less than 2 minutes left in the game (I recall 1:23 or thereabouts) Surratt elects to pooch-kick the kick off giving Lampasas a short field near mid-field. OMG 😮Let me just say, Lampasas ran out of clock ⏰. When the game ended, Lapassas was well inside the red zone. It would be an understatement to say “That game ended in a frenzy”. When Surratt pooch-kicked that ball and considering that Carthage had been unable to stop Lampasas all game, I almost lost my freakin mind. 🥴 Ok, now to be fair, this one example alone clearly does not make him a bad coach; however, it does make his decision making suspect.

Oh by the way but related, I also attended the 2020 SC win over Gilmer and took heavy-hearted displeasure watching them up 56-14 with 6 minutes left in the game with starters still in, on both sides of the ball and intentionally running up the score 🤬(Final 70-14). First and foremost, those are kids and that too me (IMO), was a clear display of unsavoriness on his part; but hey, all is fair for the sake of notoriety - right? Or just maybe he despises Gilmer’s coach and the kids just got caught in the crossfire? Now if this happened just once or twice even; unfortunately, this is not atypical - after watching several of Carthage games [under Surratt], it’s become very apparent to me that his self-inflated ego depends on it for survival, his viability and Legendary status. He is a “Bully Coach” that depends on abusing kids to pump up his delicate ego. A true narcissist at heart. He is the absolute dichotomy of Coach K. that does not deserve the descriptive “elite” except maybe “elite buttocks-hole”. As someone with over 15 years mentoring young folks, his coaching style [at times] makes me want to puke. 🤨🤢Now that my friend, is how I REALLY feel. 🤷🏾‍♂️😎

On to a better subject: Go Lobos and Coach King and to hell with everybody else - all the way to State and while at it...beat DR and HP, along the way! Lol 😂
                              I'll take king over him who wouldn't dominate 4ad2 😅 king actually takes on challenges and has won at highest class .

King haven't always had the best teams,but yet we haven't had a losing season under him.

Comment

• Beat Hp.
                                THE HISTORY OF LONGVIEW LOBO FOOTBALL

1937 1A, 2018 6A DIVISION II STATE CHAMPIONS
                                5A D1, 2008 4A D1, 2009 4A D1 State Finalist
                                40 District Championships
                                '47, '75, '10, '17 State Semi-Finalist
                                '40, '86, '96, '02, '07, '15 State Quarterfinalist
                                '04, '11, '12, '13, '20 Regional Finalist
                                '83, '85, '87, '89, '91, '93, '01, '06, '14, '19 Area Finalist
                                '24, '31, '34, '36, '42, '67, '72, '74, '76, '80, '84, '92, '03, '05, '16 Bi-District Finalist

Comment

Working...
                                X