*** Official Longview Lobo Thread - Home of LOBO Nation ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LoboFan07 View Post
    They’re definitely still going to be a force. They’ve won 70+ regular season games in a row for a reason. But it does help us a lot in week 1.

They’ll no doubt have things figured out come November on that side of the ball.

Didn’t they also lose their DC over the off season?
    yes they lost their DC

Comment

• Originally posted by LoboFan07 View Post
      They’re definitely still going to be a force. They’ve won 70+ regular season games in a row for a reason. But it does help us a lot in week 1.

They’ll no doubt have things figured out come November on that side of the ball.

Didn’t they also lose their DC over the off season?
      Yep.

DC now HC at Waxahachie.

They also loss defensive assistant coach David Plunk who is now the HC at Atlanta and to me, he was a very important piece for Ryan against us. He knew what to expect from Longview from his days as HC at Hallsville.

Comment

• Originally posted by WP4L™ View Post
        Yep.

DC now HC at Waxahachie.

They also loss defensive assistant coach David Plunk who is now the HC at Atlanta and to me, he was a very important piece for Ryan against us. He knew what to expect from Longview from his days as HC at Hallsville.
        This explains A LOT. Ryan was definitely talented but they really seemed like they were very well positioned on our power runs. Their LBs were overcommitting to the run. (I know we didn't have a passing game but still). Goodness if we get a passing game.

Comment

• I just saw some video of workouts/passing scale...and to piggy back off what JoeC was saying... we have a lot to look forward to.

Hale is a human highlight reel and he certainly has been giving the DBs work. One play, defense was in Cover 2 zone, Hale ran a fade...catches ball one handed over FS.

Most of the throws that I saw came from Thomas. You can tell that he's still working on his footwork, coming from a pure spread system but the mechanics are nice, accuracy is good and arm strength is even better. Allen has gotten a lot better too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kingwolf View Post

This explains A LOT. Ryan was definitely talented but they really seemed like they were very well positioned on our power runs. Their LBs were overcommitting to the run. (I know we didn't have a passing game but still). Goodness if we get a passing game.
            Yep.

As good as Bear was, which was pratically unblockable, the scheme was even better. 5 on the line...linebackers and safeties overcommitting to the run. Pretty hard to run against that especially when your almost exclusively trying to attack between the tackles.

That got them in trouble early in the game though when we were actually attacking vertically.

Comment

• Someone please chime in and provide a profile on each the below players and 2021 projections:

Jartaivan Wright

Dekalon Taylor

Jeremiah Rougely

Victor Bush

Kentraevion McFarland

Comment

That got them in trouble early in the game though when we were actually attacking vertically.
                Yep, and has had been stated already, they couldn't stop Hale at all.

Really anxious to see our QBs in 7 on 7 in Tyler...and hopefully the State Tournament. I think that will tell us a lot about how the season is going to go tbh,
                THE HISTORY OF LONGVIEW LOBO FOOTBALL

1937 1A, 2018 6A DIVISION II STATE CHAMPIONS
                5A D1, 2008 4A D1, 2009 4A D1 State Finalist
                40 District Championships
                '47, '75, '10, '17 State Semi-Finalist
                '40, '86, '96, '02, '07, '15 State Quarterfinalist
                '04, '11, '12, '13, '20 Regional Finalist
                '83, '85, '87, '89, '91, '93, '01, '06, '14, '19 Area Finalist
                '24, '31, '34, '36, '42, '67, '72, '74, '76, '80, '84, '92, '03, '05, '16 Bi-District Finalist

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeC View Post
                  Someone please chime in and provide a profile on each the below players and 2021 projections:

Jartaivan Wright

Dekalon Taylor

Jeremiah Rougely

Victor Bush

Kentraevion McFarland

Don't mind if I do.

Jartaivan Wright - I've talked about JT a lot. Many may not know him yet because all of the attention is on Hale....but that's about to change. Wright is even bigger than Hale, 6'4 190 WR. Was on varsity as a sophomore this past year. When the ball is in his hands, he reminds me most of Dorian Leonard. When the ball is in the air, he has an elite ability to high point it. David Robinson 2005 vibes. Long story short, this Forest Park product is FBS talent. Watch for fellow classmate Amarian Hamilton too.

Dekalon Taylor - DT, better known as "#9", is the fastest player on the team. He's ran a 10.5 100m during track this year. Explosive and very underrated player that can be utilized at both WR and RB. Will probably get more carries than catches this fall. And if he's involved in special teams returning duties like I hope he is....he is capable of taking it to the house every time.

Jeremiah Rougley - JJ played TE on varsity as a sophomore this past year. But now he's on the defensive side which is his strength. Rougley is a monster. Will probably be in the 6'2-6'3 range when the season starts, playing at 210+. Future FBS player, and by the time we get to the end of the season....I wont be surprised if we're sitting here saying Rougley was our best defensive player.

Victor Bush - Was TE3 this past year...so he primarily blocked while Pencheon and Beltran saw the pass targets. Good talent, gets the job done. Sort of reminds me of Cody Taylor from 2008.

Kentraevion McFarland - backup FB this past year....former RB. Battled some injuries so we didnt see him much but he's a tough runner and blocker. Typical tough a#$ Longview kid.
                  Last edited by WP4L™; 04-14-2021, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Don't mind if I do.

Jartaivan Wright - I've talked about JT a lot. Many may not know him yet because all of the attention is on Hale....but that's about to change. Wright is even bigger than Hale, 6'4 190 WR. Was on varsity as a sophomore this past year. When the ball is in his hands, he reminds me most of Dorian Leonard. When the ball is in the air, he has an elite ability to high point it. David Robinson 2005 vibes. Long story short, this Forest Park product is FBS talent. Watch for fellow classmate Amarian Hamilton too.

Dekalon Taylor - DT, better known as "#9", is the fastest player on the team. He's ran a 10.5 100m during track this year. Explosive and very underrated player that can be utilized at both WR and RB. Will probably get more carries than catches this fall. And if he's involved in special teams returning duties like I hope he is....he is capable of taking it to the house every time.

Jeremiah Rougley - JJ played TE on varsity as a sophomore this past year. But now he's on the defensive side which is his strength. Rougley is a monster. Will probably be in the 6'2-6'3 range when the season starts, playing at 210+. Future FBS player, and by the time we get to the end of the season....I wont be surprised if we're sitting here saying Rougley was our best defensive player.

Victor Bush - Was TE3 this past year...so he primarily blocked while Pencheon and Beltran saw the pass targets. Good talent, gets the job done. Sort of reminds me of Cody Taylor from 2008.

Kentraevion McFarland - backup FB this past year....former RB. Battled some injuries so we didnt see him much but he's a tough runner and blocker. Typical tough a#$ Longview kid.
                    Thank you Sir.

I am marginally familiar with Jartaivan Wright and Dekalon Taylor. I was kind of disappointed Wright wasn’t worked into the schemes more often. The little bit I saw of Taylor, he has explosive, break away take it to the house potential. I am eagerly excited about what these two (2) young will be bringing to the Lobo dinner table.

As for Jeremiah Rougely at 6’ 205 good size, I took note of you extolling his athleticism but wasn’t sure whether he’d be TE or on the defensive side of the ball or both.

Finally, Victor Bush at 6’ 200 and Kentraevion McFarland and his 190 frame, just hoping you could provide some details of anticipated contributions to the team.

Again, thank you Sir and Go Lobos! I am excited about the upcoming season!

Comment

• Been working on getting all the 1950 articles up so I can officially say all game articles from 1950 to present have been posted (minus one). Discovered that we actually attempted 40 passes in 1950 vs Tyler, which will be the new school record, previously thought to be 38. (Random fact of the day)

'24, '31, '34, '36, '42, '67, '72, '74, '76, '80, '84, '92, '03, '05, '16 Bi-District Finalist

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeC View Post

Thank you Sir.

I am marginally familiar with Jartaivan Wright and Dekalon Taylor. I was kind of disappointed Wright wasn’t worked into the schemes more often. The little bit I saw of Taylor, he has explosive, break away take it to the house potential. I am eagerly excited about what these two (2) young will be bringing to the Lobo dinner table.

As for Jeremiah Rougely at 6’ 205 good size, I took note of you extolling his athleticism but wasn’t sure whether he’d be TE or on the defensive side of the ball or both.

Finally, Victor Bush at 6’ 200 and Kentraevion McFarland and his 190 frame, just hoping you could provide some details of anticipated contributions to the team.

Again, thank you Sir and Go Lobos! I am excited about the upcoming season!
                        Rougley will start on defense, probably Kybo's down safety/OLB position.

Victor Bush will be TE1, and McFarland looks to be FB1.

Comment

Yep.

As good as Bear was, which was pratically unblockable, the scheme was even better. 5 on the line...linebackers and safeties overcommitting to the run. Pretty hard to run against that especially when your almost exclusively trying to attack between the tackles.

Bear transferred to Brewer this week.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoLobos View Post

Bear transferred to Brewer this week.
                            Yessir he did.

Originally posted by WP4L™ View Post
                            Bear Alexander transfers from Ryan to FW Brewer.

Wow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kingwolf View Post

It's one thing to not have a passing game and then there's another thing to not utilize it. John King, felt like we could "Debo" Denton Ryan's defensive line. I can only imagine if his desperation play calling towards the end of the game had've been utilized all 4 quarters.

If, he can ever quit being so GD bullheaded as a head coach, he's going to be in the elite category with the Todd Dodges and Scott Surratts of the world. Somebody pass this on to him and tell him I said, he's welcomed!

Comment

• With it being the halfway point, and realignment numbers due in October, thought I'd take a quick look at the numbers reported in Oct 2020 just to get an idea of what we might have going into the next alignment.

Remember 6A and above is 2,220. 5A as a whole is 1,230 to 2,219, with Division I being 1,922 to 2,219 and Division II being 1,230 to 1,921. This will almost definitely go up again.

2018 to 2020 went up 30 students. 2016 to 2018 went up 40 students. 2014 to 2016 went up 50 students. So I think we can count on it being anywhere between 20 to 40 students, just based on the last couple of alignments.

Just looking at 6A/5A D1/5A D2 that relates to us. Blue means has 5A Division I numbers (from the 2020 realignment numbers) (if they aren't in 5A D1), Red means 5A Division II numbers, Green means 6A numbers.

This is only TEA numbers. So not all of these will be exactly correct, and I'm not adding any second campus stuff (like LEAD for us).

5A DIVISION I
                                District 4 (throwing this district in here as well, since there were a lot of rumors of Longview being in a district with Mansfield ISD/Midlothian/Red Oak last time around)
                                Burleson Centennial - 2,003
                                Colleyville Heritage - 1,879
                                Mansfield Legacy - 2,378
                                Mansfield Summit - 1,999
                                Midlothian 2,010
                                North Richland Hills Birdville - 2,060
                                North Richland Hills Richland - 2,189
                                Red Oak - 1,960

District 5 -
                                Denton - 2.023
                                Denton Ryan - 2,197
                                Frisco Centennial - 2,092
                                Frisco Heritage - 2,102
                                Frisco Independence - 2,278
                                Frisco Lone Star - 2,147
                                Frisco Reedy - 2,100
                                Frisco Wakeland - 2,099
                                Lewisville The Colony - 2.038

District 6
                                Carrollton Newman Smith - 1.992
                                Carrollton R.L. Turner - 2.135
                                Dallas Bryan Adams - 2,215
                                Dallas Molina - 2,155
                                Dallas Samuell - 1,940
                                Dallas Sunset - 2,078
                                Dallas WT White - 2,060
                                Dallas Woodrow Wilson - 1,899
                                Lancaster - 2,193

District 7
                                Highland Park - 2,212
                                Longview - 2,147
                                McKinney North - 2,171
                                Sherman - 2,015
                                Tyler - 2,073
                                West Mesquite - 2,272
                                Wylie East - 2,223

District 8
                                Cleveland - 2,262
                                College Station - 2,069
                                Conroe Caney Creek - 2,159
                                Lufkin - 2,131
                                Magnolia - 2,035
                                Magnolia West - 2,099
                                New Caney - 2,131
                                New Caney Porter - 2,218
                                Waller - 2,198

5A DIVISION II
                                District 4 - (just doing Carrollton ISD)
                                Carrollton Creekview - 1,724

District 5 -
                                Aledo - 1.428
                                Mansfield Timberview - 1,890
                                Waco University - 1,763

District 6 -
                                Dallas Adamson - 1,558
                                Dallas Conrad - 1,274
                                Dallas Hillcrest - 1.488
                                Dallas Jefferson - 1,606
                                Dallas Kimball - 1,436
                                Dallas Seagoville - 1,643
                                Dallas South Oak Cliff - 1,421
                                Dallas Spruce - 1,797
                                Mesquite Poteet - 1,751

District 7 -
                                Denison - 1,323
                                Frisco - 1,836
                                Frisco Lebanon Trail - 1,886
                                Frisco Liberty - 2,002
                                Frisco Memorial - 1,821
                                Lake Dallas - 1,250
                                Lucas Lovejoy - 1,569
                                Princeton - 1,607
                                Prosper Rock Hill - 2,017

District 8 -
                                Corsicana - 1,712
                                Crandall - 1,392
                                Ennis - 1,719
                                Forney - 1,749
                                Greenville - 1,405
                                North Forney - 2,043
                                Royse City - 2,048
                                Sulphur Springs - 1,249

District 9 -
                                Hallsville - 1,413
                                Jacksonville - 1,222
                                Longview Pine Tree - 1,330
                                Marshall - 1,391
                                Mount Pleasant - 1,570
                                Nacogdoches - 1,739
                                Texas High - 1,770
                                Whitehouse - 1,535

District 10
                                Bryan Rudder - 1,683
                                College Station A&M Consolidated - 1,897
                                Huntsville - 1,734
                                Lamar Fulshear - 1,687
                                Montgomery - 1,516
                                Montgomery Lake Creek - 1,463
                                Rosenburg Lamar Consolidated - 1,787

6A - Only looking at the ones that realistically have a chance to drop
                                District 7 -
                                Dallas Jesuit - Unable to find recs, but they were right on the bubble last go around

District 10 -
                                Dallas Skyline - 4,147
                                Mesquite - 2,571
                                Mesquite Horn - 3,101
                                North Mesquite - 2,401
                                Rockwall - 2,847
                                Rockwall Heath - 2,626
                                Tyler Legacy - 2,351

District 11 -
                                Cedar Hill - 2,277
                                DeSoto - 2,800
                                Duncanville - 4,468
                                Mansfield - 2,527
                                Mansfield Lake Ridge - 2,622
                                Waco - 2,122
                                Waco Midway - 2,499
                                Waxahachie - 2,602

District 12 -
                                Belton - 2,884
                                Bryan - 2,392
                                Copperas Cove - 2,205
                                Temple - 2,292

District 15 -
                                Tomball - 2,341
                                Tomball Memorial - 2,555

So to sum things up.

Longview, I would bet on staying 5A Division I for the foreseeable future. The number I got from the high school this week were even lower than that number reported in October. But who knows with how they're counting LEAD (which is only about 100/150, but obviously that matters a lot when you're close to the bubble...but from the sounds of it they only counted half of that last go around?).

So assuming Longview stays 5A, let's look at what we have for a potential district.

We know Tyler is not going anywhere, and we are tied to them. The question would be is anyone joining us from East Texas? Legacy isn't going to be unless there's a MASSIVE jump in the 6A cut off, is not going to happen. Lufkin will stay south until we get more than a couple East Texas squads in the same division. And no in 5A Division II looks ready to make the jump.

So we look west.

The big stand out in our district right away is that West Mesquite and Wylie East both currently have 6A numbers. West Mesquite is about 50 above the 2020 cutoff and Wylie East is 3. East might survive one more go around, but they're destined for 6A soon. West looks like an almost lock for 6A.

Royse City and North Forney are both currently sitting in 5A D1 numbers. They're a virtual lock for 5A Division I...and they will almost assuredly be with us. North Forney is an absolute lock to be with us. I would assume the same with Royse City unless something weird happens and they put them in with the Frisco schools or something? I dunno, I would bet on Royse City and North Forney both being in our district.

Looking at the rest of our current district, Sherman and McKinney North both look like locks for 5A D1 this next go around. Highland Park is right on that thresh hold again. We'll see, but obviously we all know they'll find a way to stay 5A D1. I think the bigger question is does Highland Park stay with us out east or do they get moved to say, the DISD district and move perhaps Lancaster out East? With Woodrow Wilson dropping to 5A D2 likely, do they just move HP into that district regardless and leave us with a 6-team district? Honestly, all three are possible.

Now how will the Region II landscape change?

Currently Mansfield Legacy has 6A numbers and Colleyville Heritage has 5A D2 numbers. If those stay, do they move Denton ISD back to Region I?
                                It looks as if Frisco ISD will have Frisco Liberty moving up to 5A D1, and there's a real real possibility of Independence moving to 6A up. But then again, remember they do have another school opening in 2022 that will change some of those numbers.

Prosper Rock Hill will almost assuredly be jumping from 5A DII to 6A this go around. If not, it will be one a stop gap, but they could be placed in that Frisco district as well. It really doesn't look like there's many schools, outside of Waco and Copperas Cove, in our general area that could be dropping from 6A.

For what it's worth, as well, https://twitter.com/Texas_HS_Sports/...09464502411264

This person has Sherman way high than the TEA website. If Sherman is this high, and ends up going 6A, I would expect both Highland Park and Lancaster to be in the same district with us.
                                Last edited by LoboFan07; 04-15-2021, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X