Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WP4L™ View Post
    2018 would've been even worse.

Our 2018 team was lightyears ahead of 2015 and 95+ % of any team we've ever fielded.
    Lightyears? 95+% of ANY TEAM we’ve EVER fielded? 👀 Really...and how old are you again? 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeC View Post

Lightyears? 95+% of ANY TEAM we’ve EVER fielded? 👀 Really...and how old are you again? 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️
      Cmon now, think about it. We've fielded 110 teams outside of 2018.

I said 95% (not all)....meaning we've had 7-10 teams that could've played with them (stayed within 14 points). Anymore than that 7-10, with all due respect, you're reaching lol

I'm not a bias person. I came up with some of the best teams' this program has seen in the 2000s but, I also know greatness when I see it and I give credit where credit is due. The 2018 team checked a lot of boxes that many of our other teams didn't.

An all world pure QB ✓
      Big bruiser + an elite agile guy in the backfield ✓
      Today, Kamden Perry is the best WR ever (the Jalen Hale story is still being written) ✓
      We usually have good depth at TE but the 2018 team had solid depth at TE ✓
      An OL where 3 of the 5 starters were 3 year varsity players, and 4 of the 5 were multi year starters....I've said it before...I haven't seen a better Lobo OL as a unit than that one ✓
      The programs' all time tackle leader (Jephaniah Lister) was on this defense ✓
      Tyshawn Taylor was a very rare LB ...he's an All-American if not for size bias ✓
      Height and talent at CB ✓
      A consistent kicker/punter (I'm not choosing another Lobo kicker over JK Martin) ✓

All of that was on one team. And by the way, I'm not a big size person because I believe that size doesn't equate to talent but across the board...that team had nice size compared to many of our other teams. 6'7 tackles, 6'4 270 DE's...both playing in the Big 12 lol

I mean my goodness, how many teams have we had that broke both offensive (passing, rushing and receiving) and defensive records? That list has to be very, very, very short.

Comment

• Originally posted by WolverBean View Post
        Change my mind a 100 % healthy 2004 Longview would beat any these championship
        ​​​ Aledo teams
        ​​​​​​
        2004 is one of those 7-10 teams by the way.

Comment

• THE HISTORY OF LONGVIEW LOBO FOOTBALL

1937 1A, 2018 6A DIVISION II STATE CHAMPIONS
          5A D1, 2008 4A D1, 2009 4A D1 State Finalist
          40 District Championships
          '47, '75, '10, '17 State Semi-Finalist
          '40, '86, '96, '02, '07, '15 State Quarterfinalist
          '04, '11, '12, '13, '20 Regional Finalist
          '83, '85, '87, '89, '91, '93, '01, '06, '14, '19 Area Finalist
          '24, '31, '34, '36, '42, '67, '72, '74, '76, '80, '84, '92, '03, '05, '16 Bi-District Finalist

Comment

• Originally posted by LoboFan07 View Post
            Aw man.

Comment

2004 is one of those 7-10 teams by the way.
              lol got year wrong which ever had malcolm and them on

Comment

• Originally posted by WolverBean View Post

lol got year wrong which ever had malcolm and them on
                2004 was right.

Comment

• I hear Haynes clocked the fastest 40 so far at Aggie land a 4.4 🐺🐺

Comment

Cmon now, think about it. We've fielded 110 teams outside of 2018.

I said 95% (not all)....meaning we've had 7-10 teams that could've played with them (stayed within 14 points). Anymore than that 7-10, with all due respect, you're reaching lol

I'm not a bias person. I came up with some of the best teams' this program has seen in the 2000s but, I also know greatness when I see it and I give credit where credit is due. The 2018 team checked a lot of boxes that many of our other teams didn't.

An all world pure QB ✓
                    Big bruiser + an elite agile guy in the backfield ✓
                    Today, Kamden Perry is the best WR ever (the Jalen Hale story is still being written) ✓
                    We usually have good depth at TE but the 2018 team had solid depth at TE ✓
                    An OL where 3 of the 5 starters were 3 year varsity players, and 4 of the 5 were multi year starters....I've said it before...I haven't seen a better Lobo OL as a unit than that one ✓
                    The programs' all time tackle leader (Jephaniah Lister) was on this defense ✓
                    Tyshawn Taylor was a very rare LB ...he's an All-American if not for size bias ✓
                    Height and talent at CB ✓
                    A consistent kicker/punter (I'm not choosing another Lobo kicker over JK Martin) ✓

All of that was on one team. And by the way, I'm not a big size person because I believe that size doesn't equate to talent but across the board...that team had nice size compared to many of our other teams. 6'7 tackles, 6'4 270 DE's...both playing in the Big 12 lol

I mean my goodness, how many teams have we had that broke both offensive (passing, rushing and receiving) and defensive records? That list has to be very, very, very short.
                    Again, how old are you, again? Absolutely no harm or disrespect meant but checking boxes...you’re reaching lol Please don’t get me wrong, obviously I love our (my) Lobos and probably am as ‘green-blood passionate’ as anyone, but it is not cut and dried that the 2018 team was the best Longview team ever. First and foremost it is virtually senseless to juxtapose previous teams to any of our more current teams. They could never play each other; therefore, any comparative analysis would just be clothed in supposition (***-umption).

When considering the best you also have to factor in the competition each team faced. Most importantly, as a reminder, I am 65 (46 years a raucous PTSD Lobos fan) and have seen some past-Longview teams (overall) that was just as if not more dynamic than the 2018 group. Let’s not forget that this 2018 team edged Lufkin 35-28, struggled with Rockwall 42-35 and Spring 14-0, outlasted Tascosa 45-42 and slipped by West Brook 35-34 thanks to the grace of the Football God’s for a most timely fumble and recovery. We’ve had past teams that would have absolutely crushed those aforementioned teams.

That 1975 Doug Cox Top Ranked Lobos OL and defense was straight up monsters of the midway and if not for a called back (penalty) what was surely a TD and an unprecedented 62 yard FG, it’s a very good chance we likely wouldn’t even be having this discussion. In fact, Doug Cox coached defenses were straight up brutish and thus, the moniker “Mean Green”. I can think of only a couple of 2000’s defenses even coming close to the physicality of Cox defenses - 2019 being one of them. We must remember that the 1975 team had to face all District Champs along the way and not a watered-down playoff format. That team faced no less than 7 top 10 ranked teams, while the defense earned 6 hard-fought shutouts in 13 games. Just mentioning players like Llewellyn Fambles, Leo McCoy, Elvis Bradley, David Morris, Johnny Fuller, Joh Henry Jones, Henry Williams, Finis Snoddy, Jeff Stone, Thomas Cook, Steve Bradham and Hosea Taylor sends chills down my spine - as these guys are long-standing Lobo legends. This generation speaks highly of Aaron Johnson and Tyler McCray’s athleticism and rightfully so but if any of them had seen the magic of Llewellyn Fambles and Leo McCoy, they’d gain a better understanding and new found respect. Another thing that must be considered is that those old school kids were hard-nosed (garden-fed unlike this junk food generation) and lived for defense while this generation for the most part, is offensive-driven. This generation seems to relish offense while abdicating defense. This is why stats comparative analysis is near extraneous.

And that 97 group even with the loss to Katy, OMG! If we may recall, that team vaulted to No. 1 in the Nation after knocking off highly-touted Killeen Ellison. Talking about check marks starting with the likes of Fred Talley and Jay Hurst, Lee Nix, Lee Jackson, Leon Bell, Jacob Pierce, Shawn Byrdsong, Dexter Daniels, Jessie James, William Morrison, Jamie Brown, Ben Price, Tracy Brooks, David Waterhouse, Jamille Butcher...I could go on as this team too was stacked.

And good Lord that 2004 group remove the injuries - repeating the talent would be redundant, would have absolutely destroyed all of those aforementioned teams. Not to mention that Top Ranked 1977 team that was absolutely loaded to the gills with talent but was railroaded in Lufkin (home cooking) and shackled with only one team from each district making post season. And I didn’t even mention the 2009 team with a healthy Tyler and Fortson.

I am just keeping it real. I am absolutely grateful for the 2018 group bringing home the gold but in no way does this make them the best team Longview has EVER assembled. And I know you didn’t say so but your check marks all but implied it.

Great team, even greater story but Longview has had many great football teams for a very long time as evidenced by our Lobos being the ‘Eighth Winningest Program’ in Texas High School football history.

You’re biased because you saw the 2018 team win the gold and the offensive numbers they piled up but I am biased because I’ve been fortunate to have witnessed all of the great Lobo teams and some of those 70’s staggering Cox ‘Mean Green’ defensive units...46 years and counting. But regardless, I understand and appreciate your romance with the 2018 team. I trickled a few tears of joy myself. I mean 81 years was a very long time for all of us diehard faithfuls and 46 years and several painful disappointments for me. In short, it does our program a grave injustice to elevate one team above all the rest just because the ball just happened to have bounced its way. This is why I am more likened to say, this 2018 Championship team was ONE OF THE GREATEST LOBOS TEAMS EVER...and am LOBO PROUD content with just leaving it at that.

Go Lobos...diehard forever!

Comment

• That '97 team though...👀

Comment

• Game day for Lobo soccer. If you can make it out to Sulphur Springs this morning, please do. These boys deserve our support. 11 am kick. Looking for first ever trip to State. Wakeland looking for their 5th consecutive year of going to the State Semis, after winning state in ‘17 & ‘18.
                        THE HISTORY OF LONGVIEW LOBO FOOTBALL

'24, '31, '34, '36, '42, '67, '72, '74, '76, '80, '84, '92, '03, '05, '16 Bi-District Finalist

Comment

Again, how old are you, again? Absolutely no harm or disrespect meant but checking boxes...you’re reaching lol Please don’t get me wrong, obviously I love our (my) Lobos and probably am as ‘green-blood passionate’ as anyone, but it is not cut and dried that the 2018 team was the best Longview team ever. First and foremost it is virtually senseless to juxtapose previous teams to any of our more current teams. They could never play each other; therefore, any comparative analysis would just be clothed in supposition (***-umption).

When considering the best you also have to factor in the competition each team faced. Most importantly, as a reminder, I am 65 (46 years a raucous PTSD Lobos fan) and have seen some past-Longview teams (overall) that was just as if not more dynamic than the 2018 group. Let’s not forget that this 2018 team edged Lufkin 35-28, struggled with Rockwall 42-35 and Spring 14-0, outlasted Tascosa 45-42 and slipped by West Brook 35-34 thanks to the grace of the Football God’s for a most timely fumble and recovery. We’ve had past teams that would have absolutely crushed those aforementioned teams.

That 1975 Doug Cox Top Ranked Lobos OL and defense was straight up monsters of the midway and if not for a called back (penalty) what was surely a TD and an unprecedented 62 yard FG, it’s a very good chance we likely wouldn’t even be having this discussion. In fact, Doug Cox coached defenses were straight up brutish and thus, the moniker “Mean Green”. I can think of only a couple of 2000’s defenses even coming close to the physicality of Cox defenses - 2019 being one of them. We must remember that the 1975 team had to face all District Champs along the way and not a watered-down playoff format. That team faced no less than 7 top 10 ranked teams, while the defense earned 6 hard-fought shutouts in 13 games. Just mentioning players like Llewellyn Fambles, Leo McCoy, Elvis Bradley, David Morris, Johnny Fuller, Joh Henry Jones, Henry Williams, Finis Snoddy, Jeff Stone, Thomas Cook, Steve Bradham and Hosea Taylor sends chills down my spine - as these guys are long-standing Lobo legends. This generation speaks highly of Aaron Johnson and Tyler McCray’s athleticism and rightfully so but if any of them had seen the magic of Llewellyn Fambles and Leo McCoy, they’d gain a better understanding and new found respect. Another thing that must be considered is that those old school kids were hard-nosed (garden-fed unlike this junk food generation) and lived for defense while this generation for the most part, is offensive-driven. This generation seems to relish offense while abdicating defense. This is why stats comparative analysis is near extraneous.

And that 97 group even with the loss to Katy, OMG! If we may recall, that team vaulted to No. 1 in the Nation after knocking off highly-touted Killeen Ellison. Talking about check marks starting with the likes of Fred Talley and Jay Hurst, Lee Nix, Lee Jackson, Leon Bell, Jacob Pierce, Shawn Byrdsong, Dexter Daniels, Jessie James, William Morrison, Jamie Brown, Ben Price, Tracy Brooks, David Waterhouse, Jamille Butcher...I could go on as this team too was stacked.

And good Lord that 2004 group remove the injuries - repeating the talent would be redundant, would have absolutely destroyed all of those aforementioned teams. Not to mention that Top Ranked 1977 team that was absolutely loaded to the gills with talent but was railroaded in Lufkin (home cooking) and shackled with only one team from each district making post season. And I didn’t even mention the 2009 team with a healthy Tyler and Fortson.

I am just keeping it real. I am absolutely grateful for the 2018 group bringing home the gold but in no way does this make them the best team Longview has EVER assembled. And I know you didn’t say so but your check marks all but implied it.

Great team, even greater story but Longview has had many great football teams for a very long time as evidenced by our Lobos being the ‘Eighth Winningest Program’ in Texas High School football history.

You’re biased because you saw the 2018 team win the gold and the offensive numbers they piled up but I am biased because I’ve been fortunate to have witnessed all of the great Lobo teams and some of those 70’s staggering Cox ‘Mean Green’ defensive units...46 years and counting. But regardless, I understand and appreciate your romance with the 2018 team. I trickled a few tears of joy myself. I mean 81 years was a very long time for all of us diehard faithfuls and 46 years and several painful disappointments for me. In short, it does our program a grave injustice to elevate one team above all the rest just because the ball just happened to have bounced its way. This is why I am more likened to say, this 2018 Championship team was ONE OF THE GREATEST LOBOS TEAMS EVER...and am LOBO PROUD content with just leaving it at that.

But yet those teams didn't get it done and bring home the title 2018 may had few close games but they still won past "great teams" lost those close games

Comment

• Originally posted by GeeTee View Post
                            That '97 team though...👀
                            We in a way helped kick start the Katy title runs? 🙃
                            Last edited by WolverBean; 04-10-2021, 09:45 AM.

Comment

I’m not gonna go down each one, but I do question what team was more dynamic than our 2018 team?? Unless our definitions of dynamic are different.

And yes, the 2018 team struggles against some teams and had to have some lucky breaks go their way. But that’s what makes them great. They forced a fumble vs Lufkin that lead up to the winning score. They forced a fumble vs West Brook that won the game. You can say that struggled against Westfield, but they made stop after stop inside the 25 against that Mustang squad and never gave up a single point

I think it’s a little funny that you bring up that Westfield game as Longview struggling, when the 97 team only beat Ellison by the exact same score. A lot of people say that the 75 team lost because of that field goal, and obviously it had a lot to do with it, but they also managed just 120 yards of offense that day.

I don’t like comparing the eras personally. Completely different styles of football and mind sets at the time. You won with defense strictly back then. The 2018 team won with offense, and the defense stepping up when we needed to.

Only team I really had an issue with is the 2009 team that you mention. They were very good, don’t get me wrong. But 2018 beats them down. I think you forget how close we were to losing to Midway in round 2, easily could’ve lost to Newman Smith in round 3. Struggled at Texarkana. Lost at Lufkin. Only really hit their stride after falling down 20 points in round four. They were a rollercoaster of a team that found their groove at the exact right moment after scrapping by the first three rounds.
                              THE HISTORY OF LONGVIEW LOBO FOOTBALL

Comment

• Originally posted by LoboFan07 View Post

I’m not gonna go down each one, but I do question what team was more dynamic than our 2018 team?? Unless our definitions of dynamic are different.

And yes, the 2018 team struggles against some teams and had to have some lucky breaks go their way. But that’s what makes them great. They forced a fumble vs Lufkin that lead up to the winning score. They forced a fumble vs West Brook that won the game. You can say that struggled against Westfield, but they made stop after stop inside the 25 against that Mustang squad and never gave up a single point

I think it’s a little funny that you bring up that Westfield game as Longview struggling, when the 97 team only beat Ellison by the exact same score. A lot of people say that the 75 team lost because of that field goal, and obviously it had a lot to do with it, but they also managed just 120 yards of offense that day.

I don’t like comparing the eras personally. Completely different styles of football and mind sets at the time. You won with defense strictly back then. The 2018 team won with offense, and the defense stepping up when we needed to.

Only team I really had an issue with is the 2009 team that you mention. They were very good, don’t get me wrong. But 2018 beats them down. I think you forget how close we were to losing to Midway in round 2, easily could’ve lost to Newman Smith in round 3. Struggled at Texarkana. Lost at Lufkin. Only really hit their stride after falling down 20 points in round four. They were a rollercoaster of a team that found their groove at the exact right moment after scrapping by the first three rounds.
                                And to be fair the weather was bad during that Westfield game if was clear and no wind we score more then 14

Comment

Working...
                                X