*** Official Longview Lobo Thread - Home of LOBO Nation ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kingwolf View Post

I am all for letting quarterbacks have the opportunity to completely develop and have an opportunity to play. The problem is I don't think Allen will ever be Able to overcome the accuracy issues. At this point you can't teach that Type of skill. He may still end up being the best out of the bunch and Should start if he is. But until we have a QB that can run more complex sets with the routes, it will be what we mostly have gotten used to.
    Yep.

I actually dont have a problem with his accuracy short to intermediate. Quicker decisions is what he needs to work on in that area. Typical sophomore stuff.

Now...his deep ball...lot of work to be done there. Not enough velocity, accuracy or arm strength...way too much air because of the throwing motion. Hale made him look very good adjusting to the ball deep all year.

Tutt and Grant have the deep ball down. The prettiest pass that I saw all year was that deep post Grant tossed to Hale in that Marshall game. But he was on a short leash all year. One mistake, he was benched.

Good news is....competition is always good at the QB position. Let's you know that you have to keep perfecting your craft, work on your game....cant get too comfortable. IF Allen wins out, fair and square...no seniority favoritism...he will have beaten out two talented QBs. I'll naturally feel a lot better about the passing game going into the season even if its Allen.

Comment

• District thread is up on smoaky
      http://www.smoaky.com/forum/index.ph...-5a-di-thread/

Comment

• Originally posted by WP4L™ View Post
        Yep.

I actually dont have a problem with his accuracy short to intermediate. Quicker decisions is what he needs to work on in that area. Typical sophomore stuff.

Now...his deep ball...lot of work to be done there. Not enough velocity, accuracy or arm strength...way too much air because of the throwing motion. Hale made him look very good adjusting to the ball deep all year.

Tutt and Grant have the deep ball down. The prettiest pass that I saw all year was that deep post Grant tossed to Hale in that Marshall game. But he was on a short leash all year. One mistake, he was benched.

Good news is....competition is always good at the QB position. Let's you know that you have to keep perfecting your craft, work on your game....cant get too comfortable. IF Allen wins out, fair and square...no seniority favoritism...he will have beaten out two talented QBs. I'll naturally feel a lot better about the passing game going into the season even if its Allen.
        I definitely have an issue with his intermediate route accuracy but have to admit it did improve over the course of the season. I really hope the best for him. He stayed committed and worked hard. If anyone takes it from him, they will have to earn it for sure.

Comment

• Well, this sucks. Best of luck to Hayden, best beat writer we've ever had.
          https://twitter.com/hayden_h/status/...315986435?s=19

Comment

Well, this sucks. Best of luck to Hayden, best beat writer we've ever had.
            https://twitter.com/hayden_h/status/...315986435?s=19
            The dude before him set a high bar, Hayden surpassed it. Lets hope it continues.

Comment

• Kaden Meredith finally announces his decision.
              https://twitter.com/etx_k/status/135...171252738?s=19

Comment

Kaden Meredith finally announces his decision.
                https://twitter.com/etx_k/status/135...171252738?s=19
                Air Force???

Comment

Air Force???
                  Yes, actually decided on that a while back before the season ended.

I actually like the way he handled his recruitment. He had bigger offers but took his time, and decided on a FBS that ran the ball and gave him the greatest chance at touching the field...and if football were to fall through, could always pursue great careers in the Air Force as an officer. AFA also great academically. Not easy getting into that school. Last I saw, that school had an 11% acceptance rate. Shows how much Meredith took care of business in the classroom.

We'll see him in the league. Him and Kybo....wouldnt be surprised if Joe Jones made it too. Recently has added several D1 offers. During that last decade, the only two FBS Longview players that didnt at least make someones practice squad were Dorian Leonard and Bivins Caraway. But Caraway re-tore his ACL in college. And Leonard still started when he was at Texas, just didnt make a pro practice squad...I think some of that was the fact that his last year at TX was cut short due to a fracture in his foot.

Traveion Webster quietly killing it at ULM, he'll be in the league too. Can't forget about Kamden Perry. Longview boys are truly unique. They dont mess around in college.

Comment

I actually like the way he handled his recruitment. He had bigger offers but took his time, and decided on a FBS that ran the ball and gave him the greatest chance at touching the field...and if football were to fall through, could always pursue great careers in the Air Force as an officer. AFA also great academically. Not easy getting into that school. Last I saw, that school had an 11% acceptance rate. Shows how much Meredith took care of business in the classroom.

We'll see him in the league. Him and Kybo....wouldnt be surprised if Joe Jones made it too. Recently has added several D1 offers. During that last decade, the only two FBS Longview players that didnt at least make someones practice squad were Dorian Leonard and Bivins Caraway. But Caraway re-tore his ACL in college. And Leonard still started when he was at Texas, just didnt make a pro practice squad...I think some of that was the fact that his last year at TX was cut short due to a fracture in his foot.

Traveion Webster quietly killing it at ULM, he'll be in the league too. Can't forget about Kamden Perry. Longview boys are truly unique. They dont mess around in college.
                    Any updates on Jalen Carr in college? I hate that he had to go to that small college in Oklahoma given his talent. He could've easily started at the University of Oklahoma given what our secondary has atrociously allowed over the past few years. Of course, if I had my way ALL Longview Lobos would go to OU.

Comment

For me personally, an academy acceptance is probably more impressive than an offer from Alabama or Ohio State. He is going to standout at AF. Incredible accomplishment to add to what he did at LHS. The sky is the limit. Well done!!

Comment

Air Force???
                        I wish the best for him but, he's NOT going to get a lot of exposure at Air Force PLUS the caliber of athletes in that conference pales in comparison to the SEC, Big XII, ACC, Pac-12 & Big 10. I would love to see this young, man in the N.F.L. in a few years IF that's what he wants, of course. But, I believe you are limiting your potential when you sign with these lower tier schools. And, that's not to say that he still can't make it to the N.F.L. via Air Force Academy.

In MY OPINION, I feel like the road becomes that much more difficult giving the limited exposure and how N.F.L. scouts flock to the major, aforementioned universities. Plus, going to a school where you have a multitude of 4 & 5 star athletes makes you raise your bar and keeps you hungry. You have to always be in optimal shape physically and mentally when you have guys who are just as big and fast as you are.

Comment

For me personally, an academy acceptance is probably more impressive than an offer from Alabama or Ohio State. He is going to standout at AF. Incredible accomplishment to add to what he did at LHS. The sky is the limit. Well done!!
                          I respectfully disagree (to a point) but, I can see where you are coming from on that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Quick View Post

I wish the best for him but, he's NOT going to get a lot of exposure at Air Force PLUS the caliber of athletes in that conference pales in comparison to the SEC, Big XII, ACC, Pac-12 & Big 10. I would love to see this young, man in the N.F.L. in a few years IF that's what he wants, of course. But, I believe you are limiting your potential when you sign with these lower tier schools. And, that's not to say that he still can't make it to the N.F.L. via Air Force Academy.

In MY OPINION, I feel like the road becomes that much more difficult giving the limited exposure and how N.F.L. scouts flock to the major, aforementioned universities. Plus, going to a school where you have a multitude of 4 & 5 star athletes makes you raise your bar and keeps you hungry. You have to always be in optimal shape physically and mentally when you have guys who are just as big and fast as you are.
                            Originally posted by Quick View Post

I respectfully disagree (to a point) but, I can see where you are coming from on that.
                            Completely understand the perspective. He could definitely accomplish anything he wants at the P5 colleges and beyond. As you said, it especially would give him more exposure into the NFL. Those service academy appointments/acceptance are incredible opportunities for doors that would not normally be open. I have no doubt that he will accomplish great things no matter where he was going to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Quick View Post

Any updates on Jalen Carr in college? I hate that he had to go to that small college in Oklahoma given his talent. He could've easily started at the University of Oklahoma given what our secondary has atrociously allowed over the past few years. Of course, if I had my way ALL Longview Lobos would go to OU.
                              Doing great.

He was every bit of FBS material....what killed him was not starting his JR year (2016)...but he definitely should've been starting that year with how bad (for our standards) that '16 defense was.

Comment

• Can't forget about Haynes King, whose about to be the starter at A&M next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X