X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WP4L™ View Post
    Lufkin just loss to Magnolia...
    0-2 district start.

Obviously still a lot of football left to play and covid forfeits play a factor but using common sense....they're looking at a trip to HP or LV first Rd...at best.

Could very well miss postseason as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by joec View Post
      my top 5
      1. vondrell mcgee
      2. tyler mccray
      3. kaden meredith
      4. braylynn anthony
      5. keilyn williams
      personally, i don’t think braylynn anthony was given a fair shake in showcasing the full depth of his talent while the rest of these backs were. He was most definitely a badass and imo, should have had more touches.
      wp4l™ 👀

Comment

• Originally posted by GeeTee View Post

wp4l™ 👀
        Y'all crazy lol

Comment

• Originally posted by WolverBean View Post

wow what they were winning last i saw
          Had 17-7 halftime led. Magnolia controlled the ball the entire second half. Still had a four point lead entering the fourth quarter, somehow.

Gave up an absolutely insane punt return for a score. Then snap over their punters head on the next drive to see Magnolia go up 26-17. Pack got a kickoff return score the next play to make it 26-24.

But that was that.

Lufkin's defense kept them in it. Lufkin's offense couldn't do a thing in that second half.

They're in big time trouble imo.
          THE HISTORY OF LONGVIEW LOBO FOOTBALL

1937 1A, 2018 6A DIVISION II STATE CHAMPIONS
          5A D1, 2008 4A D1, 2009 4A D1 State Finalist
          40 District Championships
          '47, '75, '10, '17 State Semi-Finalist
          '40, '86, '96, '02, '07, '15 State Quarterfinalist
          '04, '11, '12, '13, '20 Regional Finalist
          '83, '85, '87, '89, '91, '93, '01, '06, '14, '19 Area Finalist
          '24, '31, '34, '36, '42, '67, '72, '74, '76, '80, '84, '92, '03, '05, '16 Bi-District Finalist

Comment

• AFTER WEEK FOUR -

5-5A Division I:
            1) Frisco Wakeland (4-0, 2-0)
            2) Frisco Reedy (2-1, 1-0)
            3) Frisco Lone Star (1-2, 1-0)
            4) Denton Ryan (2-0, 0-0)
            5) Frisco Independence (0-2, 0-0)
            6) Lewisville The Colony (2-2, 1-1)
            7) Denton (1-2, 0-1)
            8) Frisco Centennial (1-2, 0-1)
            9) Frisco Heritage (2-2, 0-2)
            Eliminated:
            N/A

6-5A Division I:
            1) Lancaster (2-0, 2-0)
            2) Dallas W.T. White (2-1, 2-0)
            3) Dallas Wilson (2-1, 1-0)
            4) Carrollton Newman Smith (2-1, 1-1)
            5) Carrollton R.L. Turner (1-1, 1-1)
            6) Dallas Molina (1-1, 1-1)
            7) Dallas Bryan Adams (0-1, 0-1)
            8) Dallas Samuell (0-2, 0-2)
            9) Dallas Sunset (1-2, 0-2)
            Eliminated:
            N/A

7-5A Division I:
            1) Highland Park (2-0, 0-0)
            2) Longview (3-1, 0-0)
            3) Wylie East (1-1, 0-0)
            4) Sherman (1-3, 0-0)
            5) McKinney North (0-3, 0-0)
            6) Tyler (0-3, 0-0)
            7) West Mesquite (0-4, 0-0)
            Eliminated:
            N/A

8-5A Division I:
            1) Magnolia (3-1, 2-0)
            2) Magnolia West (3-1, 2-0)
            3) Waller (2-2, 2-0)
            4) New Caney (2-1, 1-0)
            5) College Station (3-1, 1-1)
            6) Conroe Caney Creek (0-3, 0-1)
            7) New Caney Porter (2-2, 0-2)
            8) Cleveland (1-3, 0-2)
            9) Lufkin (1-3, 0-2)
            Eliminated:
            N/A

CURRENT PROJECTIONS
            D5 #1. Denton Ryan vs D6 #4. Dallas Bryan Adams
            D7 #3. Tyler vs D8 #2. Magnolia West
            D5 #4. The Colony vs D6 #1. Lancaster
            D7 #2. Longview vs D8 #3. College Station

D5 #3. Frisco Wakeland vs D6 #2. Dallas W.T. White
            D7 #1. Highland Park vs D8 #4. New Caney
            D5 #2. Frisco Lone Star vs D6 #3. Carrollton Newman Smith
            D7 #4. Sherman vs D8 #1. Magnolia

'24, '31, '34, '36, '42, '67, '72, '74, '76, '80, '84, '92, '03, '05, '16 Bi-District Finalist

Comment

• 5-5A Division I -
              It’s been a hectic week for the district. After determining Ryan and Independence actually wouldn’t have to forfeit their previously forfeited due to COVID game, I’m just hoping I have the standings correct. Previously, Ryan was set to forfeit this week’s contest against Denton High. But they’ve moved that game to 2 PM on Saturday. So I’ll update when that game goes final, but I think we all know Ryan is going to destroy Denton High. Also Independence was set to forfeit their game against Lone Star this week. But instead both Ryan’s game against Reedy and this week’s Independence game against Lone Star has just been ruled a no contest. Who knows what happens if there’s tiebreakers that need to be made up. SO, to the actual games that have been played this week we go. Both blow outs. Frisco Reedy destroyed Frisco Heritage, 55-21. And Frisco Wakeland put together an extremely impressive performance to solidify that 3rd place spot most likely with a 45-13 win at the Colony. We’ll see how the Denton Ryan/Denton game officially goes. Next week, finally a full slate (for now). Denton Ryan travels to Frisco Wakeland, in what should tell us more about Wakeland. The Colony travels to Frisco Centennial, Frisco Heritage travels to Denton High and Frisco Independence takes on Frisco Reedy. Frisco Lone Star is off. With everything changed, going back to Ryan in first, Lone Star in second, Wakeland in third and the Colony in fourth.

6-5A Division I -
              81 points last week…well, how about 82 points this week for the Lancaster Tigers? The Tiger rolled over Carrollton Newman Smith, 82-6 this week as they continue to roll through the district and will until playoff time. Not getting any non-district games is going to be a problem come post season play I feel, but we’ll see. No doubt they’re an impressive squad. Dallas W.T. White also got a dominating victory as they rolled over Carrollton R.L. Turner, 61-0. Dallas Molina picked up their first win of the season, knocking off Dallas Samuell 29-6. And Dallas Woodrow Wilson battled past Dallas Sunset, 15-0. Bryan Adams was off. Next week, Lancaster takes on Dallas Bryan Adams, Newman Smith hosts Dallas Molina, R.L. Turner travels to Dallas Samuell and Woodrow Wilson takes on W.T. White. Going with Lancaster, W.T. White, Newman Smith and Bryan Adams still as my top 4.

7-5A Division I -
              Statements made, questions answers and more questions to be asked as 7-5A wraps up non-district play for the season this week. Longview rolled out of Abe Martin Stadium on Thursday feeling good about themselves, after using a dominating second half of play to defeat high flying Beaumont West Brook, 51-28. Highland Park no doubt will be feeling the same Friday night, after blowing Rockwall out of their own stadium, 46-18. That wraps up the highlights for the district this week, as every other team lost. McKinney North got the losing started with a 56-14 beat down by Rockwall Heath. McKinney handed Sherman a 24-14 set back on Friday, with Tyler falling to Mesquite Horn 41-27 and West Mesquite falling to Keller Timber Creek 27-7. Wylie East sat at home this week due to COVID. Next week, we’re set to finally get district play underway. Highland Park is off while Longview hosts West Mesquite, Sherman hosts Wylie East and McKinney North hosts Tyler. I think it’s pretty clear, Longview and Highland Park are the two teams to beat in this district. We’ll have to wait three weeks for their big showdown. BUT the other five teams are an absolute mess. Sherman has to make a case for being the most impressive out of the five, with a 60 spot last week on Saginaw and having a chance to, you know, when their game. Bearcats were in it until late in the 4th quarter. Tyler saw themselves struggle at Hanby Stadium this week, being down by three scores multiple times in the game. North has nothing going right for them right now. West Mesquite has been able to put out an impressive defense, but they have absolutely zero offense. And Wylie East, is Wylie East. So right now, going with Highland Park, Longview, Tyler then Sherman.

8-5A Division I -
              It’s Magnolia ISD’s district and everyone else is just living in it, for now. Magnolia, fresh off their upset of College Station, trailed by 10 at halftime at Lufkin only to roll out of Abe Martin with a 26-24 victory. The Bulldogs dominated the second half in the victory. Magnolia West, fresh off their own victory over the Pack, steamrolled Cleveland 49-8. It’s been an impressive start to district play for both Magnolia schools. Waller also sees themselves sitting at 2-0 in district play after defeating Conroe Caney Creek, 55-6. The Panthers and Indians see themselves sitting at 0-2 in district play, while Caney Creek’s Panthers sit at 0-1. In the only real surprise score line, College Station knocked off New Caney Porter 24-14. The scoreline isn’t’ a surprise because the Cougars won, but just by how close this game actually was. Porter’s two district losses are by a total of 12 points. Bit deceiving their record is. I can’t figure out College Station, after their impressive non-district results, they haven’t been getting them in district play thus far. New Caney was off this week. Next week, College Station travels to New Caney, Lufkin travels to New Caney Porter, Conroe Caney Creek travels to Magnolia West and Cleveland travels to Magnolia was Waller takes the week off. It’s a vital week in the Lufkin/New Caney Porter contest. The loser of that almost is certainly out of the playoffs. College Station and New Caney will give us more of an idea of New Caney for sure. Both Magnolia schools should roll again. Going with Magnolia, Magnolia West, College Station and New Caney as the top four teams from this district. First time I think I’ve ever had Lufkin sitting out of the post season in one of these.

Comment

• I hear west mesquite is awful shall this be the week the single game record be broken finally

Comment

• Originally posted by WolverBean View Post
                  I hear west mesquite is awful shall this be the week the single game record be broken finally
                  Rushing?

Meredith is going to feast, but I highly doubt he has that type of night simply because he may not get much opportunity to.

Probably gonna see a lot of what you saw in that Marshall game. More vertical plays...get on top early, get the win and get out.

Comment

• I'd be shocked if Kaden played any in the second half with what I'm expecting this and next week really.

Comment

• Originally posted by GeeTee View Post

wp4l™ 👀

Here’s “my” full top ten list since 2000. Damn near anyone’s list would have to consist of these players. The order of rank would be based on what each individual values as those athletic tangibles as well as intangible characteristics that sets great athletes apart.
                      1. Vondrell McGee
                      2. Tyler McCray
                      3. Kaden Meredith
                      4. Braylynn Anthony
                      5. Keilyn Williams
                      6. Tylan Miller
                      7. Tory White
                      8. Johnny Garrett
                      9. Willie Andrews
                      10. JaMycal Hasty
                      I’ve been watching Lobos football now for 47 years. I’d like to see a list of all time great Lobo RB’s. This list would have to include Dinky Edwards, Joe Johnson, Earnest Hunter, etc... and one that most Longview fans probably don’t even recall because he couldn’t keep his nose clean namely, Clifford Ward. If not for his troubles off the he field, he probably would have went down as Longview’s greatest RB ever. He had moves like Gale Sayers and open-field stride and speed like Eric Dickerson. Clifford Ward often forgotten, was electric and if my recollection is right, he was one of not many Freshmen to ever start for a Longview Lobos football team. 👀 Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeC View Post

Here’s “my” full top ten list since 2000. Damn near anyone’s list would have to consist of these players. The order of rank would be based on what each individual values as those athletic tangibles as well as intangible characteristics that sets great athletes apart.
                        1. Vondrell McGee
                        2. Tyler McCray
                        3. Kaden Meredith
                        4. Braylynn Anthony
                        5. Keilyn Williams
                        6. Tylan Miller
                        7. Tory White
                        8. Johnny Garrett
                        9. Willie Andrews
                        10. JaMycal Hasty
                        I’ve been watching Lobos football now for 47 years. I’d like to see a list of all time great Lobo RB’s. This list would have to include Dinky Edwards, Joe Johnson, Earnest Hunter, etc... and one that most Longview fans probably don’t even recall because he couldn’t keep his nose clean namely, Clifford Ward. If not for his troubles off the he field, he probably would have went down as Longview’s greatest RB ever. He had moves like Gale Sayers and open-field stride and speed like Eric Dickerson. Clifford Ward often forgotten, was electric and if my recollection is right, he was one of not many Freshmen to ever start for a Longview Lobos football team. 👀 Lol
                        Thanks for the post Joe C, I had been thinking about adding some of the backs from the "old" days! My thoughts about a few:
                        1. Clifford Ward, in my opinion, was the BEST! He was brought up as a freshman to play in the last game of the 78 season against Pine Tree.And he put on a show! His sophomore and junior years were more of the same. I believe we would have won the state championship had he played his senior year. He had all the physical tools. Last week when I saw the Tatum kid run, he looked a lot like Clifford.
                        2, Leo Mccoy from the 75 team was a big back that had many runs of 7 to 10 yards, Not the type to go 80, but always able to get 7 to 10. Went to SMU after he graduated.
                        3. The other 3 you mentioned along with Ronnie Hunter and Gaylon Johnson, who were the featured backs in what would have been Ward's senior year.
                        4. Chuck Boyd and Calvin Portley from the 72 team, my senior year. Chuck went to TCU.
                        5, Jimmy Smith from the 86 team. If there is any video from the 86 game vs Highland Park,everyone should go watch it They could NOT catch him or tackle him that night. That was also the last time we played HP.

Comment

• Well, we all agree on Vondrell being #1 since 2000. Heck, I personally don't have anyone above him all time...I obviously haven't seen every Lobo back ever but how in the world do you nearly break the single season rushing record in only 13 games...playing next to talents like Chris Ivory/Adrian Reese/Malcolm Kelly?! Insane.

I'm happy y'all at least have Meredith in your top 3 lol

But there are several reasons why I put him over McCray at #2:

1. Work Ethic - this sort of goes into that intangibles category. I came up with McCray/Aaron Johnson/Pete Robertson etc and all those boys....so I tend to know a ton about McCray...enough to know that he didn't necessarily take football seriously. He was a natural talent but wasn't necessarily the hardest worker in the room. Meredith on the other hand....you could be driving down Hawkins on a Sunday and see him out there in Lobo working his tail off perfecting his craft. Doing cone drills working on his agility. He has Haynes King/Kamden Perry work ethic, which is legendary.

2. Production - this in itself yells Meredith > McCray. How many other Lobo RBs all time ran for nearly 800 yards as a 3rd string sophomore in an offense that passed for damn near 4000? Meredith is one of only three Lobo backs all time with a 300+ yard rushing game on his resume. The other two are BabyDoo Hunter and Fred Talley. That's good company. Meredith could own a few of Talley's career records by the end of the season...this isn't me necessarily saying Meredith is Talley but rather showing how ridiculously productive he is and how he's severely under appreciated. Now, I totally get it. McCray shared a backfield with Aaron Johnson, Dacedric Hunt, JO (Jonathan Oliver) and Keylan Shaw. Still, his floor games were way worse than Meredith's, and his best games were nowhere near Meredith's best games. 37 yard performance against PT in 2008, his best game an 190 yard rushing performance against SS in 2008.

3, Eye Test - yes, this subject is about to be controversial lol McCray was a flashy, crafty elusive back....footwork out of this world so its really easy to say he wins the eye test category. However, to me, the best type of backs aren't always the elusive ones. It's the one cut, downhill speed backs that get ghost once they see a crease....and can make a quick one cut move in the open field making defenders miss. This is also the reason Vondrell is #1...was not only his production. It was his one cut downhill and a cloud of smoke vicious running style. Talley ran the same way. And so does Meredith. Anytime Meredith gets the ball, I legit feel like he's about to go the distance. Meredith has better hands out of the backfield than McCray had, and is also better on special teams.

McCray was still great though without question....very unique.

Comment

• Originally posted by oldetexfan View Post

Thanks for the post Joe C, I had been thinking about adding some of the backs from the "old" days! My thoughts about a few:
                            1. Clifford Ward, in my opinion, was the BEST! He was brought up as a freshman to play in the last game of the 78 season against Pine Tree.And he put on a show! His sophomore and junior years were more of the same. I believe we would have won the state championship had he played his senior year. He had all the physical tools. Last week when I saw the Tatum kid run, he looked a lot like Clifford.
                            2, Leo Mccoy from the 75 team was a big back that had many runs of 7 to 10 yards, Not the type to go 80, but always able to get 7 to 10. Went to SMU after he graduated.
                            3. The other 3 you mentioned along with Ronnie Hunter and Gaylon Johnson, who were the featured backs in what would have been Ward's senior year.
                            4. Chuck Boyd and Calvin Portley from the 72 team, my senior year. Chuck went to TCU.
                            5, Jimmy Smith from the 86 team. If there is any video from the 86 game vs Highland Park,everyone should go watch it They could NOT catch him or tackle him that night. That was also the last time we played HP.
                            Great post! Leo McCoy was my boy and Fred was a dread against opposing defenses. Speaking of the 1986 team, Eric Faggett was an absolute beast!

Comment

• Originally posted by WP4L™ View Post
                              Well, we all agree on Vondrell being #1 since 2000. Heck, I personally don't have anyone above him all time...I obviously haven't seen every Lobo back ever but how in the world do you nearly break the single season rushing record in only 13 games...playing next to talents like Chris Ivory/Adrian Reese/Malcolm Kelly?! Insane.

I'm happy y'all at least have Meredith in your top 3 lol

But there are several reasons why I put him over McCray at #2:

1. Work Ethic - this sort of goes into that intangibles category. I came up with McCray/Aaron Johnson/Pete Robertson etc and all those boys....so I tend to know a ton about McCray...enough to know that he didn't necessarily take football seriously. He was a natural talent but wasn't necessarily the hardest worker in the room. Meredith on the other hand....you could be driving down Hawkins on a Sunday and see him out there in Lobo working his tail off perfecting his craft. Doing cone drills working on his agility. He has Haynes King/Kamden Perry work ethic, which is legendary.

2. Production - this in itself yells Meredith > McCray. How many other Lobo RBs all time ran for nearly 800 yards as a 3rd string sophomore in an offense that passed for damn near 4000? Meredith is one of only three Lobo backs all time with a 300+ yard rushing game on his resume. The other two are BabyDoo Hunter and Fred Talley. That's good company. Meredith could own a few of Talley's career records by the end of the season...this isn't me necessarily saying Meredith is Talley but rather showing how ridiculously productive he is and how he's severely under appreciated. Now, I totally get it. McCray shared a backfield with Aaron Johnson, Dacedric Hunt, JO (Jonathan Oliver) and Keylan Shaw. Still, his floor games were way worse than Meredith's, and his best games were nowhere near Meredith's best games. 37 yard performance against PT in 2008, his best game an 190 yard rushing performance against SS in 2008.

3, Eye Test - yes, this subject is about to be controversial lol McCray was a flashy, crafty elusive back....footwork out of this world so its really easy to say he wins the eye test category. However, to me, the best type of backs aren't always the elusive ones. It's the one cut, downhill speed backs that get ghost once they see a crease....and can make a quick one cut move in the open field making defenders miss. This is also the reason Vondrell is #1...was not only his production. It was his one cut downhill and a cloud of smoke vicious running style. Talley ran the same way. And so does Meredith. Anytime Meredith gets the ball, I legit feel like he's about to go the distance. Meredith has better hands out of the backfield than McCray had, and is also better on special teams.

McCray was still great though without question....very unique.
                              Please don’t get me wrong, I have Kaden nipping at the heels of McCray. Unquestionably, Kaden has been fortunate comparative to old school runners. Back in the day, most offenses were one-dimensional and as a result, having no spread offense - running backs faced-off against defenses designed and stacked to shutdow the run. I am waiting to see how Kaden does when facing great defenses - will his running style get us out of trouble? One of the most memorable runs in my lifetime was when McCray broke several of Allen’s football players ankles. Kaden has not, as of yet anyways, displayed that ability. Keilyn also had that “get you out of trouble ability”. I haven’t yet counted Kaden out as number 2 but I am waiting to see how he runs and improvises when the going gets tough against a great run defense. To me, as of right now anyways, this is what sets them, albeit slightly, apart. In this district and his Sr. Campaign, he will face-off against some mediocre defenses at best, which will do absolutely nothing to change my mind relative to his rank. Let’s just see how he responds against HP and playoff opponents. Believe me when I say, “I am pulling for him”.

Comment

• i call it now we will win over HP 35-28

Comment

Working...
                                X