*** Official Longview Lobo Thread - Home of LOBO Nation ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TEMPLE WILDCATS View Post
    Really? Mediocre. OK. TEMPLE is a proud program also. 4th all-time in wins in Texas.47 in the nation in all-time wins. But whatever you say though. jus went to state in 2014- 2016. We are very young and inexperienced but can match Longview with speed and talent in any year. doesn't mean we will win every-time.You guys do lead the series 4-3, I think maybe a couple of more teams in the state of Texas can say that,. I respect Longview very much as a program no matter what some of the fans say is silly.
    Don't take it the wrong way...you guys were clear on what kind of team you have this year, so I was replying to that. Temple took it to Longview last night no doubt and outplayed them. My point is that Temple looked like a young, average team playing in their first game of the year and blew out Longview. To me that MAGNIFIES the truth about what our program has to look forward to this season...nothing more and nothing less...I definitely wish the best for Temple and hope they build on this game but some people were crowning them state contenders after beating Longview last night...Longview was overhyped and is not a really good team this year, they have all the potential in the world but historically don't respond to pull it together to make a deep run when they are this bad early on...I'll be there at most every game cheering them on regardless what happens...I have been watching this program for over 35+ years and won't stop supporting them now...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kingwolf View Post

Don't take it the wrong way...you guys were clear on what kind of team you have this year, so I was replying to that. Temple took it to Longview last night no doubt and outplayed them. My point is that Temple looked like a young, average team playing in their first game of the year and blew out Longview. To me that MAGNIFIES the truth about what our program has to look forward to this season...nothing more and nothing less...I definitely wish the best for Temple and hope they build on this game but some people were crowning them state contenders after beating Longview last night...Longview was overhyped and is not a really good team this year, they have all the potential in the world but historically don't respond to pull it together to make a deep run when they are this bad early on...I'll be there at most every game cheering them on regardless what happens...I have been watching this program for over 35+ years and won't stop supporting them now...
      Well I am not sure who was crowning Temple champs. It wasn't us. whoever was doing that is foolish at best. This was just the first game. Ya that is true. I see where you are coming from now. You are right we are young and a mystery as well as Longview coming into the game. We still have alot to work on to. Our run game was horrid, but Longview's front had something to do with that though..We for sure are not state contenders and may never get close to that goal this year. In fact I can say with alot of certainty we won't come close. lol You make alot of scence to what you were referring to .I guess maybe people were just overly excited, because Longview is usually one of Texas best year in and yr out.
      Last edited by TEMPLE WILDCATS; 09-26-2020, 09:20 AM.

Comment

I am still pissed that they had tyler on that big *** scoreboard instead of Temple. Dam we are not some 2nd rate city/team. We do have a very good history.
        Are yall still 6A? I hope we get a-hold of yall in the playoffs if we get there.

Comment

• Originally posted by MenOfValor View Post

Are yall still 6A? I hope we get a-hold of yall in the playoffs if we get there.
          Ya I see where you got that from. and how you would take that like you did.,I wasn't referring to TylerLee being a 2nd rate town or football team. I was just referring to Temple's rich Texas History that they should know who we are. I mean they scheduled this game for the 100 yr of UIL and hand picked the teams that had a long and storied history so there shouldn't of been any missteps. I am also sure Temple would b ok playing tyler.Lee It could of been any team they had on the scoreboard.
          Last edited by TEMPLE WILDCATS; 09-26-2020, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Ya I see where you got that from. and how you would take that like you did.,I wasn't referring to Tyler being a 2nd rate town or football team. I was just referring to Temple's rich Texas History that they should know who we are. I mean they scheduled this game for the 100 yr of UIL and hand picked the teams that had a long and storied history so there shouldn't of been any missteps. I am also sure Temple would b ok playing tyler. It could of been any team they had on the scoreboard.
            He's a Tyler Lee fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gametyme View Post
              Longview going to be ok. QBs will take time to season. I'd probably go with Allen going forward. Jalen Hale does you no good not taking any shots down field. Longview should had forced it to him down field. I needed this win tonight with Lufkin giving up 70 in a lose.
              I don't understand why we didn't go with Allen more.

Allen played the first quarter, then Grant played the rest of the way.

If you're going to split time, why not go back to Allen in the 3rd? Especially after the interception.

Mindbogglingly mistakes last night.

And if anyone wondered if the clock management issues with King were fixed, you can bet that is a massive NO. Haynes completely covered his hide the last 2 and a half years. First half without Haynes at QB, we burn two timeouts because of his time management and getting the play in. And guess what, it cost us a chance to get up two scores at the end of the half. This whole game could've been different if not for that.

I know some were comparing Kaden to being the best back we've ever had. Well, he just opened his senior season with the absolute worst game he's ever had in his career. This young team needed our leaders, and seniors, to make a statement and help them grow. They did the absolute opposite and helped with the continuing lack of confidence this group has shown in two weeks of playing someone else.

Unless massive changes take place, we absolutely have a chance to go 0-4 in non-district this season.
              THE HISTORY OF LONGVIEW LOBO FOOTBALL

1937 1A, 2018 6A DIVISION II STATE CHAMPIONS
              5A D1, 2008 4A D1, 2009 4A D1 State Finalist
              40 District Championships
              '47, '75, '10, '17 State Semi-Finalist
              '40, '86, '96, '02, '07, '15 State Quarterfinalist
              '04, '11, '12, '13, '20 Regional Finalist
              '83, '85, '87, '89, '91, '93, '01, '06, '14, '19 Area Finalist
              '24, '31, '34, '36, '42, '67, '72, '74, '76, '80, '84, '92, '03, '05, '16 Bi-District Finalist

Comment

• Originally posted by LoboFan07 View Post

If you're going to split time, why not go back to Allen in the 3rd? Especially after the interception.

And if anyone wondered if the clock management issues with King were fixed, you can bet that is a massive NO. Haynes completely covered his hide the last 2 and a half years. First half without Haynes at QB, we burn two timeouts because of his time management and getting the play in. And guess what, it cost us a chance to get up two scores at the end of the half. This whole game could've been different if not for that.

I know some were comparing Kaden to being the best back we've ever had. Well, he just opened his senior season with the absolute worst game he's ever had in his career. This young team needed our leaders, and seniors, to make a statement and help them grow. They did the absolute opposite and helped with the continuing lack of confidence this group has shown in two weeks of playing someone else.

Unless massive changes take place, we absolutely have a chance to go 0-4 in non-district this season.
                This.....They should have really let the junior RB see the ball a few times and Haynes did very well running the ball...this is going to be a long season and I really hope the team gels.

Comment

• Originally posted by hook em 22 View Post

He's a Tyler Lee fan.
                  Whoa, whoa...we don't use that type of language around here no more. It's Tyler Legacy.

Comment

• Originally posted by AusMOJO View Post

Whoa, whoa...we don't use that type of language around here no more. It's Tyler Legacy.
                    Yea, I forgot. Meant to say Tyler Lee.

Comment

ALL TIME SERIES -
                      Temple (4-3-0)
                      Updated.
                      THE HISTORY OF LONGVIEW LOBO FOOTBALL

1937 1A, 2018 6A DIVISION II STATE CHAMPIONS
                      5A D1, 2008 4A D1, 2009 4A D1 State Finalist
                      40 District Championships
                      '47, '75, '10, '17 State Semi-Finalist
                      '40, '86, '96, '02, '07, '15 State Quarterfinalist
                      '04, '11, '12, '13, '20 Regional Finalist
                      '83, '85, '87, '89, '91, '93, '01, '06, '14, '19 Area Finalist
                      '24, '31, '34, '36, '42, '67, '72, '74, '76, '80, '84, '92, '03, '05, '16 Bi-District Finalist

Comment

I don't mean to come in hindsight, but can't help it since the game is over. After watching your scrimmage last week and the game last night, I'm just comparing Longview to Longview. This isn't a shot at anything in the past. But, it is apparent how much less talent you had out there from the last two years.
                        Your QBs aren't very good. Allen can't throw. He doesn't have a good delivery. Grant has a nice arm and throws a pretty pass but his motion is slow and takes too long right now. The game seems too fast for him. If it was me, I'd throw Grant into the fire full-time. He has more upside. Let him make mistakes and get better but let him get all the reps.
                        Hale is talented but it won't matter if y'all can't throw. But, I don't see him as being better than Kamden Perry. He doesn't play the same game. There needs to be more than Hale.
                        If I was a Lobo fan, I'd be going mad at the Qb to the sideline taking play calls all game junk. It's crazy. I'd you have Haynes King and the superior talent y'all had the last two yrs, yea, take 38 secs. But Geeezzz. You don't have that talent, go up tempo and make teams keep up. Don't sit back and let teams rest between plays. I get, it's easier said than done. But, when you're alittle less talented, get kids in the correct position to succeed. Keep things off balance and moving. That was painful to watch last night. The players even seemed to suffer from it as well. But, I doubt King will ever consider it. He has his system that won a title, I'm sure he will stick with it. Just my observation.

Comment

I know some were comparing Kaden to being the best back we've ever had. Well, he just opened his senior season with the absolute worst game he's ever had in his career.
                          Oh yes, to clear up something regarding this...

I never said Kaden was the best back to ever walk the halls of Longview. Never even said he was better than Vondrell, who I have as the best definitely of King's era. I do think he's the 2nd best back we've had since Vondrell which could still change depending on what he does this year.

Somehow that got put in my mouth, misconstrued I'm guessing because I posted his stats before the game....about how he had a chance to break all the records. I dunno.

But the notion that he ain't a beast or on the verge of being on the Mt.Rushmore of Longview backs, which is all I ever said, is crazy.

All it took was one game for folks to jump off the Meredith wagon but think about this.....his worst game was a near 100 yard performance...in a pandemic...coming off ankle surgery...with zero blocking from his OL, TEs or WRs...and no real passing attack at this particular point...meaning the entire defensive gameplan from the opposite team is to key on him. I mean this is the same Meredith that when he went down against Jesuit last year, the entire fan base was saying our season was over even if we advanced past that week.

Tyler McCray had a 37 yard performance against Pine Tree. Vondrell had a 70 yard performance against North Mesquite, and a 91 yard performance against South Garland in first round of the playoffs, Talley put up I think 90 yards in the state game in '97. Had a 63 yard performance on 20+ carries too. All 3 had their "fumble" games too like Meredith just had. Meredith's first fumble game his entire career at LHS btw...so maybe he was due one.

I guess I say all of that to say that no RB in Lobo history was perfect every single night. And if Meredith's worst is a near 100 yard performance given the circumstances that took place....how bad is he really as a player?

Just my take. We just better hope his legs stay healthy....because our potential as a team this season depends mostly on them.
                          Last edited by WP4L™; 09-26-2020, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hook em 22 View Post

But, it is apparent how much less talent you had out there from the last two years.
                            Well, this was always gonna be the case lol

Haynes was gone and we should've all known a sophomore was taking over this year...and they werent gonna light it up. OL has been a work in progress the moment that special 2018 SR group left. It was the best Lobo OL I'd ever seen, so of course we werent gonna just up and replace that.

Now, I think the WRs/TEs/DL are just as good as the past two years as a group...no Tyshawn Taylor at LB but still a good LB group with Kybo/Hale/Isaac. No Jephaniah Lister but our safety tandem is the exact same we had last year so, thats that. Nothing changed at RB from last year and we upgraded at FB.

While everyone was worried about QB, my biggest concern was always CB. Thats where we have the largest dropoff from the past two, heck three years. We got spoiled the past few years with Jalen Carr/Roshodrick Harmon/Dakirin Buchanan/Isaiah Rogers. We wont have a good CB tandem of those calibers until 9th comes up the ranks.

In terms of defense....outside of maybe the CB position, I have no beef with the talent on defense. Problem is coaching.

Personnel issues. If you're gonna run this 4 man front, at least have the best DL lineup out there. DK Stanford and Jesse Fairchild, a good JR duo with good size did not play much if at all yesterday....and they should be full time starters. But, we have a little something in Loboland called SR loyalty which is a killer. Best player should play regardless of grade.

For years I advocated for the odd man front after being in 4 man front every year. And guess what happened when we switched to odd? Won a title and followed that up with an even better defense. Berry comes in and switches back to his classic 4 man front scheme with DBs off 7-10 yards. Now, his problem has never been run defense or applying presssure. The problem is his CBs have historically gotten toasted because the scheme is a little vanilla vs spread teams. I mean rush all of the defensive linemen you want but when a QB is getting the ball out of his hands in 2 secs because the corners are so far off...it doesnt matter. Scheme issues.

I'm not a cry and moan guy, I like to find solutions....so what should we do?

We should be in the odd man front with Joe Jones/DK Stanford/Jesse Fairchild as starters. These LBs are talented once again...and in odd man front defenses...LBs thrive even more because those DL are getting double teamed while penetrating, leaving gaps open for LBs to attack. Your two outside LBs/safeties can also drop back in coverage if need be too and you can disguise so much pre snap in an odd man front defense. Your 2nd level players should be Kybo/Hale/Isaac/and sophomore JJ Rougley as an elite rusher at OLB. You change nothing personnel wise in the secondary, but you do change CB alignment. 4 yard cushions max from corners, tell em to press sometimes and use that sidline as an extra defender... and for goodness sake, tell em to get that head around and play the ball.

Am I confident that what I just said will happen? Nope lol Berry loves that 4 man front dating back since forever.

Comment

• Originally posted by WP4L™ View Post
                              Well, this was always gonna be the case lol

Haynes was gone and we should've all known a sophomore was taking over this year...and they werent gonna light it up. OL has been a work in progress the moment that special 2018 SR group left. It was the best Lobo OL I'd ever seen, so of course we werent gonna just up and replace that.

Now, I think the WRs/TEs/DL are just as good as the past two years as a group...no Tyshawn Taylor at LB but still a good LB group with Kybo/Hale/Isaac. No Jephaniah Lister but our safety tandem is the exact same we had last year so, thats that. Nothing changed at RB from last year and we upgraded at FB.

While everyone was worried about QB, my biggest concern was always CB. Thats where we have the largest dropoff from the past two, heck three years. We got spoiled the past few years with Jalen Carr/Roshodrick Harmon/Dakirin Buchanan/Isaiah Rogers. We wont have a good CB tandem of those calibers until 9th comes up the ranks.

In terms of defense....outside of maybe the CB position, I have no beef with the talent on defense. Problem is coaching.

Personnel issues. If you're gonna run this 4 man front, at least have the best DL lineup out there. DK Stanford and Jesse Fairchild, a good JR duo with good size did not play much if at all yesterday....and they should be full time starters. But, we have a little something in Loboland called SR loyalty which is a killer. Best player should play regardless of grade.

For years I advocated for the odd man front after being in 4 man front every year. And guess what happened when we switched to odd? Won a title and followed that up with an even better defense. Berry comes in and switches back to his classic 4 man front scheme with DBs off 7-10 yards. Now, his problem has never been run defense or applying presssure. The problem is his CBs have historically gotten toasted because the scheme is a little vanilla vs spread teams. I mean rush all of the defensive linemen you want but when a QB is getting the ball out of his hands in 2 secs because the corners are so far off...it doesnt matter. Scheme issues.

I'm not a cry and moan guy, I like to find solutions....so what should we do?

We should be in the odd man front with Joe Jones/DK Stanford/Jesse Fairchild as starters. These LBs are talented once again...and in odd man front defenses...LBs thrive even more because those DL are getting double teamed while penetrating, leaving gaps open for LBs to attack. Your two outside LBs/safeties can also drop back in coverage if need be too and you can disguise so much pre snap in an odd man front defense. Your 2nd level players should be Kybo/Hale/Isaac/and sophomore JJ Rougley as an elite rusher at OLB. You change nothing personnel wise in the secondary, but you do change CB alignment. 4 yard cushions max from corners, tell em to press sometimes and use that sidline as an extra defender... and for goodness sake, tell em to get that head around and play the ball.

Am I confident that what I just said will happen? Nope lol Berry loves that 4 man front dating back since forever.
                              That quote is a part of my entire statement. That in itself isn't meant as a slap. It's in context of how everyone in LoboNation is reacting today.

Comment

• Go Lobos... I predict Longview will go farther then Temple this year. Just let’s see in week 10. See you guys then!

Comment

Working...
                                X