• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• man we gonna be loaded for while on offense sounds like

Comment

• Originally posted by WolverBean View Post
      man we gonna be loaded for while on offense sounds like
      We have got to get some though...if you look at the better teams we are going to face, they have good size in their secondary

Comment

• Moving back over to the defensive side of the ball...

2022 JR DE Dekayron "DK" Stanford (6'2.5 222) is another dangerous player flying under the radar. Stanford is the 2nd half of the 2022 defensive line dynamic duo between him and Jesse Fairchild. His nickname needs to be rocket, because he comes off the ball so fast, he often goes unblocked. And even when he does get some contact, he has so much strength and motor, he just overpowers opposite offensive linemen. His power moves are ridiculous, especially to the inside. We may have loss Goram-Welch and Beltran but the potential of this Lobo defensive line and front seven as a whole is still enormous in 2020.

Comment

• For the first time since 2016, the Lobos are going into 2020 with a lot of uncertainty at the CB position. Between players like Roshodrick Harmon, Dakirin Buchanan, Isaiah Rodgers, and Jalen Carr.....the CB position has been amazing for the Lobos the past few years. Who steps up in 2020?

The last player that I'd like to highlight that is flying under the radar is 2021 SR CB Dylan Davis. In terms of 2019, Davis has a very similar story to 2022 JR OL Connor Cox. He was an underclassmen on the verge of starting before a pre-season lower leg injury sidelined him for the remainder of the season. Pat Webb ultimately did a fine job of stepping up at CB2 with the amazing seasons he had in 2019....that game he had against Lee was nuts. But Davis was probably the 2nd best CB in the program behind Dakirin Buchanan before his injury. Totally wowed me in spring football and fall camp going into the season last year. At 5'10, that's solid height at corner. He won't wow you on the weight size as he ranges from 150-160 but that doesn't matter. He's a smart corner that plays the ball well...even in short route situations made to create separation from defensive backs. He still excels. You can also tell that he learned a lot from former CBs Dakirin Buchanan and Isaiah Rodgers the past few years because he can be pretty physical when it comes to beating blocks, or breaking off routes for tackles. Whether you talk about a Sherman Rosoborough (2006), a Jalen Carr (2017), a Ja'Quale Darden (2010), a Chris Lacy (2006)... I can't even begin to tell you how many CB's have had breakout years as one year starting seniors in King's tenure as HC. Is Dylan Davis next?

Comment

• It's more than just a Game

The journey began in December of 1997 when my dad and I attended my first Lobo game. That game just happened to be the state championship game against Katy. I remember the atmosphere, pregame and the band. However most of all I remember the fans, the barking, howling fans and the train horn. Everyone remembers a missed opportunity to win a state championship. I remember how I got hooked on Lobo football.

Each year we would follow Longview until they lost, not ready to end the season we would look at the remaining playoff games. After deciding which game to go watch, off we would go until the end of the season. I would be scared to know just how many miles we drove over the years but man did we see some of the best players and games that Texas High school football has to offer.
            Each week of each season for the next 21 years were spent planning for Friday night football. Dad had it down to a science. He would pickup tickets, game gear, check the weather, plan the route, pick the restaurant and the best escape route after the games. After work on game day it was a mad rush to get home, change and get on the road. Thanks to dad we were always at the gate early enough to pick our seats (50 yard line about half way up).
            To pass the time on the drive to the game and back home we discussed any of a number of topics but often the discussion included game strategy, players, and coaching for both teams as well as what we thought could have been done different, we were high school football experts in the car. At the game we were among the most loyal of Lobo fans. Over the years we were blessed to see each Championship game that the Lobos played in and like most fans the anticipation built each season. So many seasons we felt the talent was there but the season ended in coulda, shoulda, woulda.
            In 2017 I began to work the Longview home games on the sidelines. It was a bittersweet year as I was able to get permission for my dad to be on the sidelines with me. For dad it was a dream come true, he had one of the best seats in the house. He even got tackled on one play and at 77 years old he just looked up at me and smiled. He knew he made it on the big screen. The 2017 season was ended with hope that 2018 would be the year Longview would win the state championship. 2017 was also the year we discovered dad had Lewy Body Dementia.
            In 2018 we held our breath and crossed our fingers as each game was played. Anyone who watches football knows (especially Lobo fans) that even if you have the team and the talent all it takes is a key injury or just plain bad luck and your done. That season we only went to the home games because of the progression of dads dementia. When the playoffs began we hit the road for what I knew would be our last season of Lobo Football together. We watched and game by game the Lobos won, but each week seemed to bring more and more confusion for dad.
            Finally we were back at Jerry’s world in hopes of finally watching Longview bring home the ever elusive state championship. No one in ATT stadium wanted to see Longview win more than I did. I wanted it for the kids and the fans but I needed it for me and my dad.
            As always dad wanted to get there early so we watched the Highland park game before the Longview game. I could tell dad was struggling as he asked questions he should have known the answer to, I could see his frustration growing. We were able to last the entire game and after 21 years and four state championship games dad got to see Longview win that trophy.
            In July 2019 needing 24 hour care I was finally forced to place dad in a nursing home. Dad was a outside kinda man and being in a memory care unit was like caging a wild animal. This past Saturday after two weeks of battling Covid 19 dad passed away. I will miss watching the games with dad and the long drives to and from but more than anything else I will miss the games and the drives with dad. We finally got the perfect end to a football season but it was also the not so perfect ending of what was way more than just a game. A huge Thank you goes to coach King and the Lobos for one Hell of a ride to the end.

Comment

• Originally posted by loborulz View Post
              It's more than just a Game

The journey began in December of 1997 when my dad and I attended my first Lobo game. That game just happened to be the state championship game against Katy. I remember the atmosphere, pregame and the band. However most of all I remember the fans, the barking, howling fans and the train horn. Everyone remembers a missed opportunity to win a state championship. I remember how I got hooked on Lobo football.

Each year we would follow Longview until they lost, not ready to end the season we would look at the remaining playoff games. After deciding which game to go watch, off we would go until the end of the season. I would be scared to know just how many miles we drove over the years but man did we see some of the best players and games that Texas High school football has to offer.
              Each week of each season for the next 21 years were spent planning for Friday night football. Dad had it down to a science. He would pickup tickets, game gear, check the weather, plan the route, pick the restaurant and the best escape route after the games. After work on game day it was a mad rush to get home, change and get on the road. Thanks to dad we were always at the gate early enough to pick our seats (50 yard line about half way up).
              To pass the time on the drive to the game and back home we discussed any of a number of topics but often the discussion included game strategy, players, and coaching for both teams as well as what we thought could have been done different, we were high school football experts in the car. At the game we were among the most loyal of Lobo fans. Over the years we were blessed to see each Championship game that the Lobos played in and like most fans the anticipation built each season. So many seasons we felt the talent was there but the season ended in coulda, shoulda, woulda.
              In 2017 I began to work the Longview home games on the sidelines. It was a bittersweet year as I was able to get permission for my dad to be on the sidelines with me. For dad it was a dream come true, he had one of the best seats in the house. He even got tackled on one play and at 77 years old he just looked up at me and smiled. He knew he made it on the big screen. The 2017 season was ended with hope that 2018 would be the year Longview would win the state championship. 2017 was also the year we discovered dad had Lewy Body Dementia.
              In 2018 we held our breath and crossed our fingers as each game was played. Anyone who watches football knows (especially Lobo fans) that even if you have the team and the talent all it takes is a key injury or just plain bad luck and your done. That season we only went to the home games because of the progression of dads dementia. When the playoffs began we hit the road for what I knew would be our last season of Lobo Football together. We watched and game by game the Lobos won, but each week seemed to bring more and more confusion for dad.
              Finally we were back at Jerry’s world in hopes of finally watching Longview bring home the ever elusive state championship. No one in ATT stadium wanted to see Longview win more than I did. I wanted it for the kids and the fans but I needed it for me and my dad.
              As always dad wanted to get there early so we watched the Highland park game before the Longview game. I could tell dad was struggling as he asked questions he should have known the answer to, I could see his frustration growing. We were able to last the entire game and after 21 years and four state championship games dad got to see Longview win that trophy.
              In July 2019 needing 24 hour care I was finally forced to place dad in a nursing home. Dad was a outside kinda man and being in a memory care unit was like caging a wild animal. This past Saturday after two weeks of battling Covid 19 dad passed away. I will miss watching the games with dad and the long drives to and from but more than anything else I will miss the games and the drives with dad. We finally got the perfect end to a football season but it was also the not so perfect ending of what was way more than just a game. A huge Thank you goes to coach King and the Lobos for one Hell of a ride to the end.
              What a wonderful story, and what a treasure to have those memories with your Dad. Thank you for sharing this, it is quite moving.
              “Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” --Voltaire

"There is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it, if only we are brave enough to be it"--Amanda Gorman

Comment

Beautiful story and my condolences on the loss of your father. Winning the title in 2018 was the single most best day of my life as I had been waiting for that since 1974 when I first saw the Lobos play. I was beginning to never think it would happen and then it did, and in such dramatic fashion. I cried like a baby in the stands and didn't care who say my. I still get choked up today when thinking about it.

Comment

Sending positive thoughts your way, what a loss to Lobo Nation it sounds like.

Thank you for writing this and putting it out here.

As you said, it's more than just a game to a lot of us. You will always have those fantastic memories of you and your father. Cherish them as much as possible.
                  THE HISTORY OF LONGVIEW LOBO FOOTBALL

1937 1A, 2018 6A DIVISION II STATE CHAMPIONS
                  5A D1, 2008 4A D1, 2009 4A D1 State Finalist
                  40 District Championships
                  '47, '75, '10, '17 State Semi-Finalist
                  '40, '86, '96, '02, '07, '15 State Quarterfinalist
                  '04, '11, '12, '13, '20 Regional Finalist
                  '83, '85, '87, '89, '91, '93, '01, '06, '14, '19 Area Finalist
                  '24, '31, '34, '36, '42, '67, '72, '74, '76, '80, '84, '92, '03, '05, '16 Bi-District Finalist

Comment

Sending my thoughts and empathy your way.

Always tough to hear about a loss within Lobo Nation. Even worse when you learn that it was from covid.

I remember sitting there after we'd won it, wishing that others who had deceased before that would've seen it, such as Wilton Jones (former leader of the dog pound).

So, I'm glad that your dad was able to witness those 'Bos win that ring. Great memories that you'll be able to hold forever.

Comment

I know who this is, and he knew me. We were LOBO "game buddies" for several years. Cant count the games we attended together. Started going to game together in 1990. He became a TRUE LOBO fanatic! I'm so thankful he got to see the LOBOS win the championship. For years we sat in rain, cold, hot and fair weather. True fans. Wins and losses. Good times and bad. I'll always remember when the Lobos would screw up and lose, he would just look at me and shake his head. He was always ready to go on Friday nights.We were usually the first ones in line, or at least in the first 10. He was NOT going to be late! So glad his son was able to get him on the side lines the last couple seasons. I KNOW that made his day! Also a mans man, with a good heart. Even though we didnt see each other much over the last few years, I thought about him often, especially when August rolls around. He was and always will be my dear friend, and he will be truly missed. Rest in peace my friend. GO LOBOS!

Comment

It took me a few different times to read this in its entirety because of my emotions. Thank you for your words and for sharing this. All of us Lobo "fanatics" share in the the highs and the lows of what we so affectionately call a Lobo season. It IS much more than a game to most of us.
                        I can't begin to understand your feelings of loss, but know that our prayers are with you, now and always.

As always,

GO LOBOS!

P.S. We cried at AT&T also!
                        LOBO4LIFE

Comment

• Originally posted by LOBOFAN84 View Post
                          P.S. We cried at AT&T also!
                          Understatement of the year

'24, '31, '34, '36, '42, '67, '72, '74, '76, '80, '84, '92, '03, '05, '16 Bi-District Finalist

Comment

• 53 days away from kickoff. Hopefully.

Comment

• Originally posted by LoboFan07 View Post
                              53 days away from kickoff. Hopefully.
                              Any word on if there be limited to 50% compacity at games

Comment

• Originally posted by WolverBean View Post

Any word on if there be limited to 50% compacity at games
                                That was the one thing the UIL actually did say. All will be 50%, for now at least.

Comment

Working...
                                X