Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North Shore is Open

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • North Shore is Open

    Galena Park North Shore High School head football coach Jon Kay is leaving his post to become the linebackers coach for the Rice Owls. Kay leaves as one of the most decorated coaches in Texas high school football history.

  • #2

    Comment


    • #3
      Matt.Stepp I'm curious did you already have the information before NS Mike broke it?

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm extremely ecstatic for Coach Kay; there is not a coach out there that deserves it more than he does. I'm sad for North Shore high school and community because of what he's meant for the school and community. I hope whoever the next man up is can keep the program at it's current level or possibly even elevate it. Going to be a hard task

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by EASTHOUSTONFOOTBALL View Post

          Matt.Stepp I'm curious did you already have the information before NS Mike broke it?
          I've known since Thursday this was likely going down....I got confirmation at about 7am TX time and was asked to hold off until 11am when athletics started...I dont know who North Shore Mike is so I didnt see when he posted it or where honestly

          Comment


          • #6
            WOW! Interesting choice.

            Going from a place where he could likely have stayed as long as he wanted to the wild west of the college coaching game is a fascinating decision for me. Who knows about the other factors, $$$$/time/etc. He obviously contributed a ton to Texas HS football and more to the NS community.

            Best wishes Coach!

            Comment


            • #7
              What an insane tenure. Nine seasons, four championships, six region titles. What he’s done since taking over at North Shore has been incredible. He has very few equals, especially when you look at the last five years. Congrats to Coach Kay on a stellar high school career, and to North Shore for making the most of an excellent opportunity.

              Excited to see what both do next.
              Last edited by Bass; 02-27-2023, 05:55 PM.
              Katy Tigers
              Nine-Time State Champions
              1959 1997 2000
              2003 2007 2008
              2012 2015 2020

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by pied View Post
                WOW! Interesting choice.

                Going from a place where he could likely have stayed as long as he wanted to the wild west of the college coaching game is a fascinating decision for me. Who knows about the other factors, $$$$/time/etc. He obviously contributed a ton to Texas HS football and more to the NS community.

                Best wishes Coach!
                Wants to be like Joey McGuire.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Woodlander View Post
                  Wants to be like Joey McGuire.


                  Some lofty ambition and you can't fault him IMO.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Everyone in D1 just poured a drink in celebration for this. Congrats to Jon Kay, would have wanted something bigger than Rice but only he knows why he went there.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ETRTW View Post
                      Everyone in D1 just poured a drink in celebration for this. Congrats to Jon Kay, would have wanted something bigger than Rice but only he knows why he went there.
                      Yes and no. I WILL say that this is an initial equalizer and puts the PantherStang Bowl on a more equal basis, less of a NS lean.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If you're NS I think you want someone that has connections to the community (either played for NS or has been an asisstant coach at NS).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by slcdragonfan View Post

                          Yes and no. I WILL say that this is an initial equalizer and puts the PantherStang Bowl on a more equal basis, less of a NS lean.
                          Season opener at The Woodlands will be an interesting look at North Shore under a new coach.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by pied View Post
                            WOW! Interesting choice.

                            Going from a place where he could likely have stayed as long as he wanted to the wild west of the college coaching game is a fascinating decision for me. Who knows about the other factors, $$$$/time/etc. He obviously contributed a ton to Texas HS football and more to the NS community.

                            Best wishes Coach!
                            I'm pretty sure his salary just tripled over night. πŸ’°πŸ’°πŸ’°

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ClearSpringsFan62 View Post
                              If you're NS I think you want someone that has connections to the community (either played for NS or has been an asisstant coach at NS).
                              Willie Gaston fits both of those criteria's. Graduated in 2002 and is the current OC..

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X