No announcement yet.

Is the state TEAM champion in TRACK AND FIELD actually the best overall TEAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the state TEAM champion in TRACK AND FIELD actually the best overall TEAM

...or do the schools with the most relay teams win state?

Originally posted by John Galt View Post
    ...or do the schools with the most relay teams win state?
    You get a lot of points from field events and individual races as well so I'd say it's more of a best team than a best relay thing

Comment

The three relays count double points right?? I guess technically they should count for 4x the points since there's 4 athletes instead of 1 lol

Comment

I don't think relays should be worth double points, but that's just me. If Summer Creek somehow doesn't win this year because of the relays, then we can safely say that the best team didn't win.

But I mean, a relay is a team.
        Last edited by Coco; 05-14-2022, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Go look at this years results so far and tell me the best TEAM didn't win. Even if you only had relays and you swept all 3 you wouldn't win the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by TheObserver View Post
            Go look at this years results so far and tell me the best TEAM didn't win. Even if you only had relays and you swept all 3 you wouldn't win the whole thing.
            In 5A that’s not true but Marshall boys and girls both won state…Congratulations!!!

Comment

Refugio won 2A boys, they won two relays and finished 2nd in the other....had a guy win the 100, finish 4th in the 200, 3rd in the triple jump and I believe had a guy go 6th in the 300 hurdles..pretty clearly at least to me they were the best team

Comment

Originally posted by Gator4ever View Post

In 5A that’s not true but Marshall boys and girls both won state…Congratulations!!!
                What's not true?

Comment

The math always changes if you change the results of a relay race as a reason to affirm a statement as to whether the best team wins.
                  60 points will not always win the championship by sweeping the relays but three seconds in all the relays along with a few other events usually would win.
                  The best team usually wins unless you have excuses for baton drops,bad days,disqualifications, sickness, etc…
                  The best team on that day or days always wins…lil

Comment

Originally posted by Matt.Stepp View Post
                    Refugio won 2A boys, they won two relays and finished 2nd in the other....had a guy win the 100, finish 4th in the 200, 3rd in the triple jump and I believe had a guy go 6th in the 300 hurdles..pretty clearly at least to me they were the best team
                    Hamilton was the runner up with NO relays...Refugio scored 56 points from relays to Hamilton's 0. 73% of their points came from the relays. It would be interesting to see how Refugio and Hamilton would compare point-wise in a head to head dual meet...and only 3 entries per school per event. Outside of the Invitational Meets, track is pretty much a contest of attrition where full teams do not continue to advance from district to area to regional to state.

Canyon Girls are the current anomaly with just 1 relay team contributing to their state championship. Gonna be interesting in 6A girls as Lewisville Flower Mound swept 1-2-3 in 3200, won the High Jump, are favored to go 1-2-3 in the 1600. But, I don't know if 58 points can win a state Title in 6A without a relay?!

EDITED --> AFTER FURTHER REVIEW.....Lewisville Flower Mound girls also have the top seeded 800m runner, a 300m hurdler and a 4x400 relay team....
                    Last edited by John Galt; 05-14-2022, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Galt View Post

Hamilton was the runner up with NO relays...Refugio scored 56 points from relays to Hamilton's 0. 73% of their points came from the relays. It would be interesting to see how Refugio and Hamilton would compare point-wise in a head to head dual meet...and only 3 entries per school per event. Outside of the Invitational Meets, track is pretty much a contest of attrition where full teams do not continue to advance from district to area to regional to state.

Canyon Girls are the current anomaly with just 1 relay team contributing to their state championship. Gonna be interesting in 6A girls as Lewisville Flower Mound swept 1-2-3 in 3200, won the High Jump, are favored to go 1-2-3 in the 1600. But, I don't know if 58 points can win a state Title in 6A without a relay?!

EDITED --> AFTER FURTHER REVIEW.....Lewisville Flower Mound girls also have the top seeded 800m runner, a 300m hurdler and a 4x400 relay team....
                      Yep - Dual meets and state titles are COMPLETELY different in track
                      Deep playoff runs are, in part, wars of attrition.

Comment

Lewisville Flower Mound girls won the team title without winning any relays or sprint events. Mostly distance and field events

Comment

Originally posted by EASTHOUSTONFOOTBALL View Post
                          Lewisville Flower Mound girls won the team title without winning any relays or sprint events. Mostly distance and field events
                          Out of 12 state champion team, the Lady Jags were the ONLY team without a relay team scoring points. IMO, that is a better TEAM than any other teams in the state meet this year. And Humble Summer Creek boys had a better TEAM than Duncanville with only 1 relay.

So, in 6A TEAMS won...not # of relays...which is nice to see!
                          Last edited by John Galt; 05-15-2022, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EASTHOUSTONFOOTBALL View Post

Congrats to them as it’s very very hard to sweep two individual events at a state championship for sure.
                            I was thinking about sweeping relays and how hard that is. Some people offer it as an excuse for winning state however it takes a lot of coaching and hard work just to qualify three relays. Damn by winning all three you proved you can sprint and also put together a mid distance type relay as well.
                            Summer Creek has my respect for sure as they are a pure track team like The Woodlands who have developed in most events over the years.
                            Track and field is exploding with great world records and complete transformation recently as being a new “Golden Age”. I hope it all continues with more great results!

Comment

Working...
                            X