GHA produces the most football talent in the state of Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Woodlander View Post

Per capita purely off population is miss leading. Texas has a huge population of people that don’t even play football. This number will vary from state to state.

The more accurate representation is high school football players from each state.
    Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by CENTEX_96 View Post

This count is completely different: https://highschoolfootballamerica.co...ekend-rosters/

There are around 1700 NFL players, it really wouldn’t seem realistic to have that many players from each state.
      There is more than 1700 when you count all players both active & inactive on rosters.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodlander View Post

Per capita purely off population is miss leading. Texas has a huge population of people that don’t even play football. This number will vary from state to state.

The more accurate representation is high school football players from each state.
        Usually a states participation number is dependent on its population. The main exception is Texas having 75,000 more participants than California, but California has 10 million more people. So, in that case it’s a deal of football demographics, which Texas has an advantage over California, so therefore it will boost the participation number.

Basically, population and demographic are most important to building participation numbers and production numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Clemensbuff View Post

There is more than 1700 when you count all players both active & inactive on rosters.
          Okay, so we are counting all UFA’s and practice roster guys, etc.

I’ve tried looking for the total number of NFL players from each state in the past, but it’s always the count of active players. Did you use profootballreference?

Comment

Originally posted by DragonDad View Post

We don’t have NFL types. Our boys are all scrappy lunch pail guys, grinders, coaches on the field, and the type of boys you’d want your daughter to marry, although many of them are sneaky athletic and deceptively fast. They tend to be gym rats with great fundamentals, high football IQs, and lots of heart.
            Allen has those types too, I know it's virtually impossible to believe, but it's true

Comment

I’ve tried looking for the total number of NFL players from each state in the past, but it’s always the count of active players. Did you use profootballreference?
              Hell, even a guy on a practice squad is in the NFL as far as I'm concerned, right? They are considered part of the team in my book.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...irthplaces.htm

Comment

Originally posted by NewEagleFan View Post

Allen has those types too, I know it's virtually impossible to believe, but it's true
                Oh I bet! I always get a kick out of the Ticket bit where they’ll play a clip of sports announcers describing a player and have people guess whether the player is black or white. Somehow the white players always work REALLY hard and the black players have a lot of raw athleticism lol.

Comment

Hell, even a guy on a practice squad is in the NFL as far as I'm concerned, right? They are considered part of the team in my book.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...irthplaces.htm
                  When arguing about what state produces better talent, I think that the quantity of NFL players is a solid argument to make, however it has a little bit of skews. The age range in the NFL is much larger than it is in HS and college. You have players as old as Tom Brady (44) and you have players as young as Sam Howell (21). You have a large number of players that played high school football back in the 2000s, high school football was a lot different back then.

With the demographic change and growth/decline that has happened in the past decade, some states production dropped in lots of categories, and some states had increased production numbers in player rankings and college. California’s participation # dropped by 12,000 in the span of 3 years, and the exodus has an effect on that. Georgia is right with California in talent production at the college level and they will most likely pass them up in NFL production soon. Personally, I would take the number of players drafted in the past 5 years as a more telling statistic of what high school football looks like now.

Other than that, the big 4 football states are very similar in top talent production, which NFL players are obviously the top talent in the nation. But, in terms of depth nobody is on the level that Texas and Florida are on.

Comment

The biggest variable is seasonality. There are 90 man rosters at the beginning of training camp, which slowly become 53 man rosters by week 1 kickoff. So the number of players actually in the NFL at a given time varies by 1000+, even ignoring injured guys on PUP or IR etc. Some of the guys cut from 90 to 53 are still employed on a practice squad so there's that as well.
                    Deep playoff runs are, in part, wars of attrition.

Comment

That site may be the best but it is dicey it has guys as still active who were cut 2 years ago and haven't even sniffed a practice squad since then.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonDad View Post

I have a theory that it is easier relatively speaking to get noticed in a smaller state, leading to more exposure, leading to better college prospects and visibility in college and then better draft prospects. Coaches are going to recruit every state (within reason) and it’s easier to filter through the noise in smaller states where you are looking at fewer players.

Just a theory!
                        I disagree. I think recruiters don't spend a lot of time (or often any at all) going where there isn't a concentration of talent. Some states have almost nobody to see and recruiters would rather go to where there are multiple players to watch on the same trip.

Comment

How many 6A schools have 2 guys drafted in the top 10? I know of one😎

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcav83 View Post
                            Allen, SLC, NS???

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcav83 View Post
                              HA! LT may be alone there. Westlake has never had a 1st round pick. We've had the best kicker in the history of the NFL (UDFA), 2 Super Bowl MVPs - one of whom was the NFL career passing leader, but never had a 1st round pick. Brees was actually the only Chap ever picked in the 2nd round - we've had several 3rd round guys (including Foles). 3 UDFAs made it into the league (Kyle Adams, Calvin Anderson, and Tucker), and 1 guy drafted who never played (Ryan Swope - concussion issues forced his retirement during his rookie training camp).

We have had 3 baseball players drafted in the 1st round of the MLB draft though, so there's that.

Comment

Originally posted by Gator4ever View Post

Allen, SLC, NS???
                                Doubt it. Kyler may be the only one from any of those schools.

Comment

Working...
                                X