Official St. John Bosco - Allen thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official St. John Bosco - Allen thread

So now that it is official, guess we need a thread to discuss the game. Haven't seen an exact time/date yet.

Allen

Allen went out of state to find its most challenging opponent of the season. Allen, winner of five state titles, will host St. John Bosco from California in Week 1. That’s a team that finished this past season ranked No. 6 in the nation by MaxPreps. The game will feature a pair of five-star defensive linemen in the Class of 2023 — David “DJ” Hicks Jr. of Allen and Matayo Uiagalelei of St. John Bosco. Allen’s other nondistrict games will be against Houston C.E. King and Arlington Martin (9-3 last season).

Meet SJB, according to their school profile:

St. John Bosco High School is a private, all-male, Catholic school that was founded by the Salesians of Don Bosco in 1940. The school is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). The school is located in Bellflower, CA, a suburban city in Los Angeles County. Our population includes students from all over Los Angeles and Orange Counties. Our student body comes from diverse communities with varying socio-economic levels. The current 2020-21 enrollment is 774 students, with 184 seniors, 228 juniors, 186 sophomores, and 176 freshmen. Our student body is demographically broken down as follows:
    Hispanic– 48.4%
    African American 17.1%
    Caucasian 9.9%
    Asian 8.4%
    Pacific Islander 4.8%
    Native American 4%
    Other/Unclassified– 11%

Approximately 92% of our graduates from the class of 2020 entered higher education after graduating, with 69% of the class going directly to a 4-year college or university.

In addition to strong academics, Bosco offers students competitive, award-winning groups such as Academic Decathlon and Robotics. We also offer active Band and Theater programs. Students are often involved in a variety of clubs, in addition to these activities, and have 23 to choose from.

Students are also very involved in community service, and work hard to participate in blood, food, and toy drives, amongst other outside service, throughout the school year.

St. John Bosco High School has a stellar athletic reputation. We offer 13 CIF sports, along with 2 club sports. Roughly 80% of our students participate in a sport, and compete at the highest level as part of the Trinity League.

Our faculty and staff include over 90 dedicated professionals, of which 51 are teachers.

Testing 2019-20
    • SAT
      • SJB - 1064
      • CA - 1049
      • National - 1051
    • ACT
      • Composite 24.3
      • English 24.6
      • Mathematics 23
      • Reading 25.2
      • Science 23.7

https://www.bosco.org/uploaded/HIS_E..._Bosco_PDF.pdf
    Last edited by pied; 02-16-2022, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Allen's school profile:

Academic: Allen ISD offers opportunitites for students to earn high school credits through online courses provided by the Allen ISD Virtual School. Online courses allow students some flexibility in their schedule to complete courses in a non-traditional setting.

Clubs, Organizations & Activities Allen High School has more than 70 extra-curricular student organizations on campus, many of them emphasizing community service and maintaining high standards of citizenship both at school and in the community. Many of them are listed below. Extracurricular participation is 2,007.

Student Information
      • Caucasian 44.37%
      • Asian / Pacific Islander 22.67%
      • Hispanic 15.07%
      • African American 14.62%
      • American Indian/Alaska Native 3.27%
      • Two or More Races 5.65%
      • Economically Disadvantaged 18.6%
      • As Risk Population 22.09%
      • Graduation Rate 97.2%

Top 10 Colleges Attended by AHS Graduates

1. Collin College
      2. University of Texas - Dallas
      3. Texas Tech University
      4. University of Texas – Austin
      5. texas a$m University
      6. University of Arkansas
      7. University of North Texas
      8. Oklahoma State University
      9. University of Oklahoma
      10 Texas State

National Testing SAT/ACT 2020 2019 2018
      • SAT Mean Composite (1600)
        • 2020 - 1194
        • 2019 - 1190
        • 2018 - 1197
      • ACT Mean Composite (36)
        • 2020 - 24.8
        • 2019 - 25
        • 2018 - 24.6
      https://www.allenisd.org/cms/lib/TX0...mall%20Web.pdf
      1194 1190 1197 24.8 25 24.6

Comment

I would just like to know the reason of such scheduling.

Comment

I wonder how long before this goes south?
          "Persevere." -- Judge Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by WoodlandsGuy View Post
            I would just like to know the reason of such scheduling.

I think SJB likes to test themselves, offer interesting travel experiences for their kids and generate attention for their program among others.

I think Allen wants to test themselves, play someone new, and generate attention for their program among others.

Comment

Originally posted by slcdragonfan View Post
              I wonder how long before this goes south?

Define south.

I'm guessing there are a lot of people that know more than me about SJB, but would guess most don't really know anything.

Comment

Originally posted by pied View Post

I think SJB likes to test themselves, offer interesting travel experiences for their kids and generate attention for their program among others.

I think Allen wants to test themselves, play someone new, and generate attention for their program among others.

Yeah I can see this as more of the reason than any other.

Comment

Originally posted by jbell73986 View Post
                  Yeah I can see this as more of the reason than any other.
                  Maybe, I'm certainly not privy to the conversations. [smille]shrug emoji[/smillie]

Comment

Allen's school profile:

Academic: Allen ISD offers opportunitites for students to earn high school credits through online courses provided by the Allen ISD Virtual School. Online courses allow students some flexibility in their schedule to complete courses in a non-traditional setting.

Clubs, Organizations & Activities Allen High School has more than 70 extra-curricular student organizations on campus, many of them emphasizing community service and maintaining high standards of citizenship both at school and in the community. Many of them are listed below. Extracurricular participation is 2,007.

Student Information
                    • Caucasian 44.37%
                    • Asian / Pacific Islander 22.67%
                    • Hispanic 15.07%
                    • African American 14.62%
                    • American Indian/Alaska Native 3.27%
                    • Two or More Races 5.65%
                    • Economically Disadvantaged 18.6%
                    • As Risk Population 22.09%
                    • Graduation Rate 97.2%

Top 10 Colleges Attended by AHS Graduates

1. Collin College
                    2. University of Texas - Dallas
                    3. Texas Tech University
                    4. University of Texas – Austin
                    5. texas a$m University
                    6. University of Arkansas
                    7. University of North Texas
                    8. Oklahoma State University
                    9. University of Oklahoma
                    10 Texas State

National Testing SAT/ACT 2020 2019 2018
                    • SAT Mean Composite (1600)
                      • 2020 - 1194
                      • 2019 - 1190
                      • 2018 - 1197
                    • ACT Mean Composite (36)
                      • 2020 - 24.8
                      • 2019 - 25
                      • 2018 - 24.6
                    https://www.allenisd.org/cms/lib/TX0...mall%20Web.pdf
                    1194 1190 1197 24.8 25 24.6
                    One statistic was missing:

Percent of starting 22 on the depth chart who "arrived" in Allen after their 8th grade year - 33% +/-

Comment

Originally posted by Leatherneck View Post

One statistic was missing:

Percent of starting 22 on the depth chart who "arrived" in Allen after their 8th grade year - 33% +/-
                      Bosco's percent of starting 22 who "arrived" after their 8th grade year is 100%. I hate the fact that this game was scheduled. Go Allen Eagles!
                      Deep playoff runs are, in part, wars of attrition.

Comment

Define south.

I'm guessing there are a lot of people that know more than me about SJB, but would guess most don't really know anything.
                        I suspect it will devolve into a recruiting discussion pretty quickly. It is interesting, and I DO think they want to set the bar high.
                        "Persevere." -- Judge Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by ChapDad View Post

Bosco's percent of starting 22 who "arrived" after their 8th grade year is 100%. I hate the fact that this game was scheduled. Go Allen Eagles!

Westlake's percent of starting 22 who "arrived" after their 8th grade year is 100% as well, correct? I'm guessing neither school has a starter that has been in HS for 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by slcdragonfan View Post

I suspect it will devolve into a recruiting discussion pretty quickly. It is interesting, and I DO think they want to set the bar high.

Yeah, probably so. My guess that it will go in and out of that until well after the game is played.

Thought the school profiles provide an interesting look into the whole school.

Comment

Westlake's percent of starting 22 who "arrived" after their 8th grade year is 100% as well, correct? I'm guessing neither school has a starter that has been in HS for 5 years.
                              Why are you brining up Westlake? You're astute enough (I presume) to know what is being referred to - kids that did not grow up in Allen (from around DFW in places like Duncanville, Desoto, Dallas, Lancaster, Lucas, etc. that move to an apartment in Allen their sophomore year of high school) - not talking about kids with parents with good corporate jobs that get transferred to the DFW area and the family buys a home in Allen. As far as being in HS for 5 years, Allen certainly might have some 'brain surgeon' types on the 5 year plan....(You know, not really too swift!).

Comment

Working...
                              X