Realignment out of the box idea - Texas Open Division

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realignment out of the box idea - Texas Open Division

Schools are too big(Allen), some big schools aren't competitive nor will they ever be, some smaller schools have big ambition (Aledo/Carthage), we have too many teams competing in the largest classifications and no real title(Westlake/Northshore), should I even mention private schools?

There is a lot right about the structure and a lot wrong about it. Started thinking about this watching almost every round of playoffs be a rout (average 2-3 TD victory).

There isn't a formula for success in Texas, but most would agree, being bigger opposed to smaller is usually better. People complain about the giants, but some of the better teams arguably aren't close to being the largest, Westlake and Southlake come to mind off the top of my head, but certainly there are others.

What if we had an opt in "Open Class" You could do it for football or basketball or both. I think most of the top teams and districts would want to compete, but that's just a guess. There are some schools that are big, that are never competitive, I'm looking at you El Paso and the Valley. Some schools demographics might have changed and competing in football isn't high on the priority list any longer and although bigger than many other schools might find it a better fit outside the typical power houses.

If you get 64 teams, great! 6 weeks of playoffs for EVERYONE. Let's say you get north of there up to 128. Cut the regular season short by a week and have a 7 round playoff.

Lots to vet, and will NEVER happen, but maybe it should?!?

Local example, Trinity and Bell. Bell gets their heads kicked in every year, but Trinity has a very strong recent history. Trinity opts in for the Open Class and Bell gets to play teams more their speed.

What purpose does having the El Paso/Ft Worth/Richardson/many of the Houston area schools/Austin ISD/Valley schools in the same league with Westlake/Southlake/Northshore/etc.? I could name you 60 schools pretty easily that will not come close to winning a state title in football in the next 25 years. I know it, you know it and they know it, but they will be in the same division as the powerhouses during that time.

The power houses don't really want to play them, they don't really want to play them (although you certainly could keep them going as non-league type games) and no one wants to go see them for the most part. Why keep kidding ourselves? Restructure and let teams play in a more competitive league (for them).

Comment

Originally posted by pied View Post
      Local example, Trinity and Bell. Bell gets their heads kicked in every year, but Trinity has a very strong recent history. Trinity opts in for the Open Class and Bell gets to play teams more their speed.

What purpose does having the El Paso/Ft Worth/Richardson/many of the Houston area schools/Austin ISD/Valley schools in the same league with Westlake/Southlake/Northshore/etc.? I could name you 60 schools pretty easily that will not come close to winning a state title in football in the next 25 years. I know it, you know it and they know it, but they will be in the same division as the powerhouses during that time.

The power houses don't really want to play them, they don't really want to play them (although you certainly could keep them going as non-league type games) and no one wants to go see them for the most part. Why keep kidding ourselves? Restructure and let teams play in a more competitive league (for them).
      Sounds logical but does it smack of "participation medals"?
      A champion is someone who gets up when he can't.
      Jack Dempsey,
      professional heavyweight boxer

Comment

Here's my early wild stab at who I think might opt in
        • District 1 - none
        • District 2
          • Abilene
          • Midland
          • Midland Legacy
          • Odessa Permian
          • SAC
          • Wolforth
          • Trinity
        • 4 (this is a tough one for me)
          • Byron Nelson
          • Aledo (opt up)
          • SLC
          • Allen
          • Braswell
          • Guyer
          • Ryan (opt up)
          • McKinney
          • McKinney Boyd
          • Prosper
          • Prosper Rock Hill
        • 6 (think the Plano schools try it again)
          • Coppell
          • Lewisville
          • Flower Mound
          • Marcus
          • Hebron
          • Plano
          • Plano West
          • Plano East
          • Jesuit
        • 8 (a couple of these probably think long and hard)
          • Arlington
          • Bowie
          • Lamar
          • Martin
          • GP
          • SGP
        • 9 - none
          • Skyline
          • Rockwall
          • Rockwall Heath
          • Tyler Lee
          • John Tyler (opt up)
          • Cedar Hill
          • DeSoto
          • Duncanville
        • 18 - none
        • 30 - none
        • 31 - none
        • 32 - none

Comment

Originally posted by drgnbkr View Post
          Sounds logical but does it smack of "participation medals"?

Not sure what you mean.

Comment

other potential opt ups
            • Highland Park
            • Stephenville
            • Carthage
            • Argyle
            • Melissa
            • Waco La Vega
            Private schools?
            • Parish Episcopal
            • Prestonwood CA
            • Liberty Christian (Argyle)
            • All Saints FW
            • Midland Christian

Comment

Not sure what you mean.
              I'm not sure if you dumb down the districts to include only also rans aren't you setting up a participation medal scenario for those who don't/can't compete otherwise? Not taking a shot at the idea, just wondering.
              A champion is someone who gets up when he can't.
              Jack Dempsey,
              professional heavyweight boxer

Comment

Not sure what you mean.
                In other words no other championships would matter outside of those who played in the open division because it takes the best of the best.

Comment

Even if this was a realistic scenario we would have the same 6-10 teams playing for a title like we do now.

Duncanville
                  Desoto
                  SLC
                  Allen
                  Guyer

North Shore
                  Katy
                  Westlake
                  Lake Travis
                  Atascocita

Comment

Originally posted by ETRTW View Post

In other words no other championships would matter outside of those who played in the open division because it takes the best of the best.
                    Interesting point, on "6A" Texas football board. We already dismiss the lower classifications and private schools because 6A is the best of the best. right?

Now, which one is better, 6A Division 1 or 6A Division2?

SOC just had a big parade and the Dallas Skyline was changed to golden lights last night. Their 5A D2 championship seemed to matter. I suspect that a big El Paso school competing in a league where they are competitive would bring a similar experience.

Comment

Originally posted by EASTHOUSTONFOOTBALL View Post
                      Even if this was a realistic scenario we would have the same 6-10 teams playing for a title like we do now.

Duncanville
                      Desoto
                      SLC
                      Allen
                      Guyer

North Shore
                      Katy
                      Westlake
                      Lake Travis
                      Atascocita

Some of those teams fluctuate and I think there are plenty of schools that think they'd like a shot to compete for it. Not too long ago when Duncanville and DeSoto would not have been included. Notice you didn't include Trinity or Judson. Maybe past their prime, maybe not. Lots of proud programs in West Texas that still may be able to compete.

Can we agree that there are ~75-100 6A schools that want no part of and never will compete with the teams you listed?

Comment

Interesting point, on "6A" Texas football board. We already dismiss the lower classifications and private schools because 6A is the best of the best. right?

Now, which one is better, 6A Division 1 or 6A Division2?

SOC just had a big parade and the Dallas Skyline was changed to golden lights last night. Their 5A D2 championship seemed to matter. I suspect that a big El Paso school competing in a league where they are competitive would bring a similar experience.
                        Championships will always matter to their communities no matter classification. Competitive speaking how much value will they if you created a super league in which they did not participate?

Comment

Some of those teams fluctuate and I think there are plenty of schools that think they'd like a shot to compete for it. Not too long ago when Duncanville and DeSoto would not have been included. Notice you didn't include Trinity or Judson. Maybe past their prime, maybe not. Lots of proud programs in West Texas that still may be able to compete.

Can we agree that there are ~75-100 6A schools that want no part of and never will compete with the teams you listed?
                          True but the way the landscape is currently laid Desoto and Duncanville are in while Trinity and Judson are on the outside.

I think there is more than a 100 schools who want no part and will never seriously compete.

Comment

Originally posted by ETRTW View Post

Championships will always matter to their communities no matter classification. Competitive speaking how much value will they if you created a super league in which they did not participate?

Can you clarify that?

6A school fans almost universally hold no regard for 5A and below, including privates.

5A D1 school fans almost universally hold no regard for 5A D2 and below, including privates.

5A D2 school fans almost universally hold no regard for 4A and below, including privates.

and so on and so on....

Comment

Originally posted by EASTHOUSTONFOOTBALL View Post

True but the way the landscape is currently laid Desoto and Duncanville are in while Trinity and Judson are on the outside.

I think there is more than a 100 schools who want no part and will never seriously compete.
                              No doubt.

The question to me, is if you're one of the top schools, do you want to play those teams and what good does it do to have the ~100 schools in a league that they will NEVER be successful in?

Comment

Working...
                              X