Katy (14-0) vs. Westlake (14-0), Sat., Dec. 11, McLane, 2 pm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katy (14-0) vs. Westlake (14-0), Sat., Dec. 11, McLane, 2 pm

This could be one for the ages. Westlake looks unstoppable but Katy has potential.

Katy's been punched in the mouth a few times this season, including the past two weeks. As a Katy fan that makes me think if we can keep it close we'll have that single advantage. Westlake has kicked the dog**** out of everyone they've faced, which as a Katy fan makes me think we're next.

Who's going to state?

Westlake by 14 or more
    68.81%
    Westlake by fewer than 14
    9.17%
    Katy by 7 or fewer
    22.02%

The poll is expired.

Katy Tigers
    Nine-Time State Champions
    1959 1997 2000
    2003 2007 2008
    2012 2015 2020

If there’s any team in the state that could beat Westlake it’s this Katy team. Having said that, this Westlake team appears to be just a notch above everyone else. In no way do I think Westlake does to Katy what they did to Vandegrift today, but I just think Katy is too one-dimensional to keep it within 2 scores.

One thing I will say is this Westlake offense seems to stall out at times only to be bailed out by the defense giving them short porch after short porch. If Katy can limit the mistakes and do the Westlake offense any favors by giving them field position, Katy can make a game of this. Excited for Saturday in Waco!

Comment

Everything seems to bounce WL's way lately. I don't see anyone playing them close. It's like they can literally decide if they want to win by 30 points or 60 points each week.

I wonder what the spread will be and how much WL will beat it. That seems to be the question when WL plays.

It was just a few years ago that Katy was the team that WL is currently. Perhaps after this year it will shift back to Katy. But this is WL's year.

I really thought Vandy could keep up for a while, but I guess things like blocked punts never help. We know Katy is a very well coached team and they will need that to have any chance. I would love to be able to ask their DC how he plans to control the WL offense. Since nothing any team has tried has worked it would be wise not to do the same things and hope for a different outcome.

Of course I could ask their offense coaches the same thing. What will work against this WL defense?

Comment

Originally posted by ntrlfield View Post
        Everything seems to bounce WL's way lately. I don't see anyone playing them close. It's like they can literally decide if they want to win by 30 points or 60 points each week.

I wonder what the spread will be and how much WL will beat it. That seems to be the question when WL plays.

It was just a few years ago that Katy was the team that WL is currently. Perhaps after this year it will shift back to Katy. But this is WL's year.

I really thought Vandy could keep up for a while, but I guess things like blocked punts never help. We know Katy is a very well coached team and they will need that to have any chance. I would love to be able to ask their DC how he plans to control the WL offense. Since nothing any team has tried has worked it would be wise not to do the same things and hope for a different outcome.

Of course I could ask their offense coaches the same thing. What will work against this WL defense?
        What are your keys to beating Westlake

Comment

On defense Katy has to stop the run first. They will keep running the ball until the defense stops them. Klubnik only threw 10 passes in the first half today because VG couldn’t stop the run.

On defense Katy can’t get behind the chains. Stay patient on offense and take the 3-4 yard runs on first down and go from there. All year I’ve seen teams start to get impatient and trying to throw early in the game. When that happens the WL pass rush creates havoc.

Comment

Not sure what to think of this game, Westlake is really good this year. Katy will be a tough match-up, no doubt. I'm going with Westlake, but you never know when it comes to game time. Katy has to be able to do more than run the ball. Westlake will eat that up all day. Westlake plays all 3 phases extremely well and is very disciplined. Katy will need to similar (they usually are). Not sure if Westlake will blow them out, i would be very surprised.

Probably not a great indicator if they struggled to close out the game against Summer Creek.

Comment

Originally posted by EASTHOUSTONFOOTBALL View Post

What are your keys to beating Westlake
              I know you didn't ask me, but it'll be the trenches. Win that battle (which is very difficult to do) and you'll set the one. Katy is no slouch on their lines, but Westlake just dominates up front. Katy will need to have a consistent passing attack, if they try to run the ball all game, Westlake will eat that up.

Comment

Katy really has nothing to lose in this game. Nobody in the state of Texas gives Katy a chance at this one, me included. Katy’s normal grind it out conservative play could be replaced with spy the QB and blitzes on defense and a lot of short passes on offense. Coach J has one of the greatest defensive minds in the country so expect some changes that we rarely do. The 56-21 win over Tompkins ( 3’s in for their last TD and a run back on kickoff for another score) is a good indication of what Katy in capable of. Katy has the ability to turn up the heat when need be so we will see what they are truly made of. I just hope that “they can keep it close”. An interesting stat, when was the last time 2 large school state champs played each other the following year in the state semi’s.
                Last edited by katybacker; 12-05-2021, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Yesterday I posted that this might be the first time that I say “I hope katy can just keep it close” and mean it.

Right now, katy has been way too inconsistent for anybody to reliably or confidently predict a win on their behalf.

WL is at another level right now. The katy team we have had glimpses of has a chance to stay in this game and keep it within a score either way.

The team I saw in the second half yesterday, gets blown out in a fashion that we haven’t seen since TWHS in 08’.

Comment

Katy play action game will be crucial in this game. They need to keep Westlake offense off the field by playing ball control offense. Westlake will not let you run on them so screen passes and bubble screens will need to supplement the running game. Katy needs to do whatever they can to eat up the clock and limit Westlake opportunities. Westlake has not faced a team as good as Katy but like stated they are on a whole different level than most teams. Katy has shot but they will need to play perfect game and how Westlake makes some mistakes. Westlake 38 Katy 24

Comment

Here come the Chaps

Comment

Originally posted by katybacker View Post
                        Katy really has nothing to lose in this game. Nobody in the state of Texas gives Katy a chance at this one, me included. Katy’s normal grind it out conservative play could be replaced with spy the QB and blitzes on defense and a lot of short passes on offense. Coach J has one of the greatest defensive minds in the country so expect some changes that we rarely do. The 56-21 win over Tompkins ( 3’s in for their last TD and a run back on kickoff for another score) is a good indication of what Katy in capable of. Katy has the ability to turn up the heat when need be so we will see what they are truly made of. I just hope that “they can keep it close”. An interesting stat, when was the last time 2 large school state champs played each other the following year in the state semi’s.
                        That would be last year. And the consensus was that an undefeated team was going to get worked by a dominant squad with a senior QB on their way to a 3-peat. The consensus was wrong
                        Deep playoff runs are, in part, wars of attrition.

Comment

Originally posted by katybacker View Post
                          Did you miss the 2020 season?

Comment

Westlake by 40 (at least).

Comment

Originally posted by ntrlfield View Post

I would speculate the answer would include slowing down the game, and keeping the Westlake O off the field. In other words, Katy offense has to get good TOP.
                              "Persevere." -- Judge Jackson

Comment

Working...
                              X