Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 19-6a

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Bass View Post

    Why would those two things be related?
    Usually the football program is a rule of thumb for the general performance of an Athletic Program. Especially in a suburb like Katy you’d expect other sports to perform just as well. I just think it’s a little weird how exceedingly better the football team is from just about every other sport.

    notice how I say usually. There are definitely a couple of outliers.

    What I’m trying to say is, Katy’s football success makes no sense to me when you compare the football team to the rest of the athletic program.
    Last edited by WoodlandsGuy; 01-12-2022, 01:52 PM.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by WoodlandsGuy View Post

      Usually the football program is a rule of thumb for the general performance of an Athletic Program. Especially in a suburb like Katy you’d expect other sports to perform just as well. I just think it’s a little weird how exceedingly better the football team is from just about every other sport.

      notice how I say usually. There are definitely a couple of outliers.

      What I’m trying to say is, Katy’s football success makes no sense to me when you compare the football team to the rest of the athletic program.
      Just as well as the top program is a lot to ask.
      Back to live triathlons. This helps kids with incarcerated parents

      https://my.reason2race.com/JohnTuttle/CypressTri2021

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Tut View Post

        Just as well as the top program is a lot to ask.
        I’ll take that statement back that you highlighted. But other katy sports underperform relative to the reputation of their suburb and football program.
        i guess I shouldn’t be surprised though since KISD is spread so thin. 7Lakes is a good representation of what I would think sports other than football would/should look like at KHS.
        Last edited by WoodlandsGuy; 01-13-2022, 08:29 AM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by WoodlandsGuy View Post
          I’ll take that statement back that you highlighted. But other Katy sports underperform relative to the reputation of their suburb and football program.
          i guess I shouldn’t be surprised though since KISD is spread so thin. 7Lakes is a good representation of what I would think sports other than football would/should look like at KHS.
          You're still speaking in generalities.....or maybe expecting Katy to be the Woodlands?

          If "Katy Football" is what constitutes your reputation, almost any other program is going to look like it's massively under-performing.

          I'm not sure I'd say our programs are spread thin in Katy ISD; it's more like spread out. And it can vary from year to year.

          Comment


          • Seven Lakes has volleyball, cross country, and golf. Katy has football, wrestling, and softball.
            Katy Tigers
            Nine-Time State Champions
            1959 1997 2000
            2003 2007 2008
            2012 2015 2020

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Bass View Post
              Seven Lakes has volleyball, cross country, and golf. Katy has football, wrestling, and softball.
              And sometimes baseball oh and don't forget about soccer
              Blue Mountain State

              Comment


              • I stand by my statement. There are a few outliers yes. Every so often they will make a run in the smaller sports. Generally speaking athletic families aren't going to Khs because they simply aren't strong across the board. They aren't trash but outside of a vb team every 4-5yrs, softball team every 2-3 years that make a run they aren't impressive. Track they get romped, basketball they get romped, swimming so so...I can go down the line. But yes they do make runs from time to time but they aren't the school of choice. That is my point.

                Yes I was coaching when the first bond failed. Know why it failed because the district families wanted the stadium on the south side khs said no so it failed. They came back around and threw money for upgrades for a lot of the schools so they caved and we have two stadiums(stupidly) side by side.

                As a parent of two current kisd athletes, football basketball and track, I'm fine with the Katy talk in football. They deserve it. They're a power that gives you a team you'll always be able to test yourself against. We run to competition not away from it. Which is why we came to kisd and didn't go to Katy. And we did beat them one year, mission accomplished. Khs deserves all the credit they get in various sports. They have earned that. But I will say again.... the tide has already begun to turn and khs isn't THE school. Families are choosing other schools because they are providing more all around. Now will that stop khs? Nope not at all, they'll find a way. They always do. That's what makes Katy... well Katy. Respect to that.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Hsfootballfanatic View Post
                  I stand by my statement. There are a few outliers yes. Every so often they will make a run in the smaller sports. Generally speaking athletic families aren't going to Khs because they simply aren't strong across the board. They aren't trash but outside of a vb team every 4-5yrs, softball team every 2-3 years that make a run they aren't impressive. Track they get romped, basketball they get romped, swimming so so...I can go down the line. But yes they do make runs from time to time but they aren't the school of choice. That is my point.

                  Yes I was coaching when the first bond failed. Know why it failed because the district families wanted the stadium on the south side khs said no so it failed. They came back around and threw money for upgrades for a lot of the schools so they caved and we have two stadiums(stupidly) side by side.

                  As a parent of two current kisd athletes, football basketball and track, I'm fine with the Katy talk in football. They deserve it. They're a power that gives you a team you'll always be able to test yourself against. We run to competition not away from it. Which is why we came to kisd and didn't go to Katy. And we did beat them one year, mission accomplished. Khs deserves all the credit they get in various sports. They have earned that. But I will say again.... the tide has already begun to turn and khs isn't THE school. Families are choosing other schools because they are providing more all around. Now will that stop khs? Nope not at all, they'll find a way. They always do. That's what makes Katy... well Katy. Respect to that.
                  I don't mean this to sound as rude as it's going to, but what makes Tompkins any different from Cinco from 2006-2010 and Seven Lakes from 2012-2014? During those years the parents at those schools thought they were the new face of the district. That was based mainly on challenging Katy in football a time or two, but their athletic programs as a whole were still ahead of the Tigers so it wasn't solely about football. Will the opening of Jordan and regular reshuffling of attendance zones stymie any school trying to establish themselves as a long-term power in multiple sports?
                  Katy Tigers
                  Nine-Time State Champions
                  1959 1997 2000
                  2003 2007 2008
                  2012 2015 2020

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Hsfootballfanatic View Post
                    I stand by my statement. There are a few outliers yes. Every so often they will make a run in the smaller sports. Generally speaking athletic families aren't going to Khs because they simply aren't strong across the board.They aren't trash but outside of a vb team every 4-5yrs, softball team every 2-3 years that make a run they aren't impressive. Track they get romped, basketball they get romped, swimming so so...I can go down the line. But yes they do make runs from time to time but they aren't the school of choice. That is my point.

                    Yes I was coaching when the first bond failed. Know why it failed because the district families wanted the stadium on the south side khs said no so it failed. They came back around and threw money for upgrades for a lot of the schools so they caved and we have two stadiums(stupidly) side by side.

                    As a parent of two current kisd athletes, football basketball and track, I'm fine with the Katy talk in football. They deserve it. They're a power that gives you a team you'll always be able to test yourself against. We run to competition not away from it. Which is why we came to kisd and didn't go to Katy. And we did beat them one year, mission accomplished. Khs deserves all the credit they get in various sports. They have earned that. But I will say again.... the tide has already begun to turn and khs isn't THE school. Families are choosing other schools because they are providing more all around. Now will that stop khs? Nope not at all, they'll find a way. They always do. That's what makes Katy... well Katy. Respect to that.
                    [original quote] They already do. When we were moving we could move anywhere. Katy high wasn't even on our radar. They aren't well rounded at all. Kisd tries to make it seem like khs is the school of choice in the district, it really isn't. No matter how hard they try to make it be it isn't. They run football for now and have their years when the baseball team is really good. Every other sport is not that good at all. But like I said they run football, and in Texas if you run football your king (but trust me even football parents, which we are, are choosing other schools over Katy now). [original quote]

                    It looks like our definitions of “not good at all” are different.
                    I’ll go along with track, tennis, golf, swimming, and boys basketball. Soccer isn’t especially good, but I wouldn’t say “awful” overall. Girls basketball and cross country are on the rise. Baseball and volleyball are consistently good (sometimes very good), and wrestling is strong.

                    (every 2-3 years?)In the last 6 years a state softball tournament has been held, the Tigers have 2 state championships, 3 region final appearances, and a region semi loss. In that span, the girls are unbeaten in district. The outlier in softball (going way back) is when they only win one playoff game.

                    It’s nothing new that Katy hasn’t been strong in many sports (The tide hasn’t turned.), and I’m not aware that the district makes it seem that it is the school of choice.

                    Some schools are better at different things. I’m not sure what you mean by “all around”.
                    Back to live triathlons. This helps kids with incarcerated parents

                    https://my.reason2race.com/JohnTuttle/CypressTri2021

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Tut View Post

                      [original quote] They already do. When we were moving we could move anywhere. Katy high wasn't even on our radar. They aren't well rounded at all. Kisd tries to make it seem like khs is the school of choice in the district, it really isn't. No matter how hard they try to make it be it isn't. They run football for now and have their years when the baseball team is really good. Every other sport is not that good at all. But like I said they run football, and in Texas if you run football your king (but trust me even football parents, which we are, are choosing other schools over Katy now). [original quote]

                      It looks like our definitions of “not good at all” are different.
                      I’ll go along with track, tennis, golf, swimming, and boys basketball. Soccer isn’t especially good, but I wouldn’t say “awful” overall. Girls basketball and cross country are on the rise. Baseball and volleyball are consistently good (sometimes very good), and wrestling is strong.

                      (every 2-3 years?)In the last 6 years a state softball tournament has been held, the Tigers have 2 state championships, 3 region final appearances, and a region semi loss. In that span, the girls are unbeaten in district. The outlier in softball (going way back) is when they only win one playoff game.

                      It’s nothing new that Katy hasn’t been strong in many sports (The tide hasn’t turned.), and I’m not aware that the district makes it seem that it is the school of choice.

                      Some schools are better at different things. I’m not sure what you mean by “all around”.
                      Softball has been strong every year under Haak and continues to be....

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by SBBear View Post

                        Softball has been strong every year under Haak and continues to be....
                        Yes .... I'm pretty sure he came to Katy in the 3rd year of the softball program and have made the playoffs every time.

                        FACT CHECK:
                        Haack came to Katy for the 1999 season (5th year of the program).
                        The Tigers made the playoffs in every season (including before Haack).
                        Last edited by Tut; 01-20-2022, 12:51 PM.
                        Back to live triathlons. This helps kids with incarcerated parents

                        https://my.reason2race.com/JohnTuttle/CypressTri2021

                        Comment


                        • Softball has had lots of D-1 players over the years...

                          going to schools like:

                          Univ. of Texas

                          Texas A&M

                          Syracuse

                          St Edwards SA

                          North Tx. State

                          to name a few..

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Hsfootballfanatic View Post
                            As a parent of two current kisd athletes, football basketball and track, I'm fine with the Katy talk in football. They deserve it. They're a power that gives you a team you'll always be able to test yourself against. We run to competition not away from it. Which is why we came to kisd and didn't go to Katy. And we did beat them one year, mission accomplished. Khs deserves all the credit they get in various sports. They have earned that. But I will say again.... the tide has already begun to turn and khs isn't THE school. Families are choosing other schools because they are providing more all around. Now will that stop khs? Nope not at all, they'll find a way. They always do. That's what makes Katy... well Katy. Respect to that.
                            Most what you say I think almost any Katy person here would sign onto here.

                            It's this "KHS isn't THE school" refrain highlighted here that is getting you into trouble. Why? Because the last time Katy was "THE school" was probably in the 80s.

                            Examples:
                            (1) JET was already beating our tennis team badly by the time I came through in the late 80s/early 90s. I was good friends with one of those tennis players on JET.

                            (2) Fine Arts have always been heavily skewed toward race/class demographics. Follow the money and you'll usually find the most accomplished musicians -- this was obvious to all back when there was just Katy, JET, and Mayde Creek in the 90s....and it continues on now in Cinco/7L/Tompkins. Things didn't turn with these later schools; the wealth just shifted to new developments.

                            Whatever 'tide' this is you imagine.....it turned long before you arrived here. A few overly enthusiastic, loud Katy HS supporters doesn't change that, and I say that as an alumni!

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X