6-man vs 8-man football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6-man vs 8-man football

6-man is king in small town Texas while Oklahoma plays 8-man. I thought the game was similar until I recently found out that 8-man is played just like the regular 11-man game with small variants.

My question is, why hasnt Texas experimented with this? I checked out a clip of a OK High School playoff match and I the pace is similar to 6-man but with the advantage of able of passing immediately off the snap.

Originally posted by JGTexasTough View Post
    6-man is king in small town Texas while Oklahoma plays 8-man. I thought the game was similar until I recently found out that 8-man is played just like the regular 11-man game with small variants.

My question is, why hasnt Texas experimented with this? I checked out a clip of a OK High School playoff match and I the pace is similar to 6-man but with the advantage of able of passing immediately off the snap.
    Texas used to play 8 man. It was in the era of late 60's to early 70's or some time close to that.

Comment

I just had to look this up. History of Texas 8 Man state championship games:
      1972 Goree 28 Harold 24
      1973 Goree 52 La Pryor 22
      1974 Follett 28 La Pryor 22
      1975 Leakey 32 Follett 14

Comment

Originally posted by OldCatFan View Post
        1972 Goree 28 Harold 24
        1975 Leakey 32 Follett 14
        I had found an article briefly touching on Leakeys brief football history in 8-man. They went to 11-man because of the lack of 6-man schools in that area until Medina and Nueces Canyon dropped down this past year I believe.

I would like to see it make a comeback. Quite a few College and NFL players in the past came from 8-man programs but I hardly hear about 6-man prospects if any.

Comment

Originally posted by JGTexasTough View Post

I had found an article briefly touching on Leakeys brief football history in 8-man. They went to 11-man because of the lack of 6-man schools in that area until Medina and Nueces Canyon dropped down this past year I believe.

I would like to see it make a comeback. Quite a few College and NFL players in the past came from 8-man programs but I hardly hear about 6-man prospects if any.
          UIL might have found it too difficult to maintain an 8 Man classification and keep 6 Man. Looks like 8 Man had to go to keep the really small schools playing. That's my guess anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by OldCatFan View Post
            1972 Goree 28 Harold 24
            *1975 Leakey 32 Follett 14
            Goree kids eventually went to Munday if I'm not mistaken.
            *Coached by the great Paul Ables. I have no idea where he went after the Leakey title.

Comment

Originally posted by John Galt View Post

Goree kids eventually went to Munday if I'm not mistaken.
              *Coached by the great Paul Ables. I have no idea where he went after the Leakey title.
              I didn't find anything about him. Just quietly retired, I assume.

Comment

Working...
              X