Week Eleven: Longview at Mesquite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week Eleven: Longview at Mesquite

LONGVIEW LOBOS (9-0, 5-0) at MESQUITE SKEETERS (7-2, 3-2)

DATE: Friday, November 8th, 2019
    TIME: 7:30 PM
    LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
    MESQUITE BROADCAST: 88.5 FM KEOM
    LOBOS LEAD SERIES 13-2-0

The Lobos have a 3-1 lead when the game is a non-district contest.
    The Lobos have a 10-1 when the game is a district contest.
    The two schools have never played a playoff contest.
    The two schools have never played at a neutral location.
    The Lobos have a 6-1 lead when the game is played at Longview.
    The Lobos have a 6-1 lead when the game is played at Mesquite.
    Longview has won the last four meetings with the Skeeters.
    Longview is 5-1 all-time against Mesquite at E.H. Hanby Stadium, with the Lobos winning the last meeting there.
    The two schools have never played on November 8th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
    11.09.2018 - Longview 55, Mesquite 24 - Lobo Stadium
    11.10.2017 - Longview 61, Mesquite 3 - E.H. Hanby Stadium
    11.04.2016 - Longview 62, Mesquite 7 - Lobo Stadium
    09.27.2013 - Longview 69, Mesquite 17 - Lobo Stadium
    09.28.2012 - Mesquite 33, Longview 7 - E.H. Hanby Stadium
    FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW
    A 40th district championship in program history and a first round home playoff game in two weeks time was the goal for the Longview Lobos as they headed into their Senior Night contest against the Robert E Lee Red Raiders. Two goals they achieved with flying colors. The Lobos delivered their 18th consecutive home win with a dominating 49-7 victory over the Red Raiders, winning their 15th in a row over their rivals from the East. The Lobos and Red Raiders met for the 60th time on Friday night, but the series got even more lopsided as the Lobos expanded to a 30 game lead over Tyler Lee (44-14-2). In the win, quarterback Haynes King improved to 35-1 as a starter, dating back to his 2017 sophomore season. His 4 touchdown pass performance gave King 82 touchdown passes in his career, by far the most in Longview history by a quarterback. Overall, King hit 100 touchdowns (82 passing, 17 rushing, 1 receiving). The Lobos, winners of 25 games in a row overall, now turn their attention to the Mesquite Skeeters in their regular season finale. Longview returns to Hanby Stadium for the third time this season, having won the previous two contests by a combined 99-20 scoreline. The Lobos have won three in a row at Hanby Stadium overall. Mesquite, 7-2 on the season, started their season off with a perfect 4-0 record before Mesquite Horn upset the Skeeters in their district opener. The Skeeters won three in a row following that loss, but struggled against Rockwall Heath and Tyler Lee. Rockwall dominated the Skeeters last week in a 66-42 win for the Jackets. Mesquite comes in with not much to play for, as the Skeeters are locked into their Division I #2 Seed, and should have a neutral site game against Killeen Shoemaker or Killeen Harker Heights (as both teams will finish in 3rd place). Longview, however, comes in with at least a couple things on their mind. The Lobos are looking to keep their 25-game winning streak alive, along with their 25-game regular season winning streak and 17-game district winning streak. The Lobos also are looking to clinch their 33rd outright district crown. All of this is in preparation for their last game at Lobo Stadium next Friday night when they host either Temple or Waco Midway.Â

WEEK ELEVEN 11-6A SCHEDULE:
    North Mesquite vs Rockwall Heath (Mesquite Memorial Stadium) {Thursday}
    Mesquite vs Longview (E.H. Hanby Stadium)
    Tyler Lee vs Mesquite Horn (Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium)
    Rockwall BYE WEEK

WEEK TEN 11-6A RESULTS:
    Longview 49 Tyler Lee 7
    Mesquite Horn 28 North Mesquite 14
    Rockwall 66 Mesquite 42
    Rockwall Heath BYE WEEK

DISTRICT 11-6A STANDINGS
    1st. Longview (9-0, 5-0)
    2nd. Rockwall (8-2, 5-1)
    3rd. Mesquite (7-2, 3-2)
    4th. Tyler Lee (5-4, 2-3)
    5th. Mesquite Horn (3-6, 2-3)
    6th. Rockwall Heath (4-5, 1-4)
    7th. North Mesquite (2-7, 0-5)

DISTRICT 12-6A OVERVIEW
    LAST WEEK - Killeen Ellison defeated Killeen, 50-18. Killeen Shoemaker defeated Copperas Cove, 34-28. Waco defeated Belton, 24-21. Waco Midway defeated Temple, 52-28.
    THIS WEEK - Belton hosts Waco Midway. Killeen hosts Waco. Killeen Shoemaker hosts Killeen Harker Heights. Temple hosts Copperas Cove.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
    Record: 9-0 (5-0)
    District: 11-6A
    Coach: John King (176-36 in 16 seasons) (Playoffs: 40-14)
    First Year of Football: 1909
    All-Time Record: 7238-345-52 (Playoffs: 69-41-1)
    Playoff Appearances: 44
    Last Playoff Appearance: 2018, 6A Division II State Championship
    State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
    State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
    SCHEDULE:
    08.30 - at Lufkin - Win 24-21
    09.06 - vs Marshall - Win 53-0
    09.13 - at John Tyler - Win 42-0
    09.20 - West Monroe (In Shreveport) - Win 17-7
    09.27 - vs Rockwall - Win 49-3
    10.11 - at Mesquite Horn - Win 44-20
    10.18 - vs Rockwall Heath - Win 49-13
    10.25 - at North Mesquite - Win 55-0
    11.01 - vs Tyler Lee - Win 49-7
    11.08 - at Mesquite

MESQUITE SKEETERS
    Record: 7-2 (3-2)
    District: 11-6A
    Coach: Jeff Fleener (13-16 in 3 seasons) (Playoffs: 0-1)
    First Year of Football: 1904
    All-Time Record: 487-453-37 (Playoffs: 20-19-1)
    Playoff Appearances: 20
    Last Playoff Appearance: 2018, 6A Division I BI-District Round
    State Championships (1): 2001 (5A D1)
    State Championship Appearances (2): 1974 (5A), 2001 (5A D1)
    SCHEDULE:
    08.30 - vs Lake Highlands - Win 21-6
    09.05 - at Grand Prairie - Win 37-9
    09.13 - vs Plano West - Win 48-21
    09.19 - at LD Hurst Bell - Win 44-3
    09.27 - v. Mesquite Horn - Loss 35-14
    10.04 - vs Rockwall Heath - Win 49-39
    10.11 - at North Mesquite - Win 45-10
    10.18 - vs Tyler Lee - Win 18-14
    11.01 - at Rockwall - Loss 66-42
    11.08 - vs Longview

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: November 8th
    In 1946, Billy Porter and Danny Fenn rushed in scores in the fourth quarter as Tyler High knocked off Longview, 14-0, at Rose Stadium.
    In 1957, Joe Roper rushed in from five yards out in the third quarter before Larry Bower rushed in from one yard out in the fourth to give Texas High a 12-0 win over the Lobos at Grim Park. The Tigers rushed for 232 yards on the day.
    In 1963, Longview upset Texas High, 20-13, at Grim Park in Texarkana, ending a three game losing streak to the Tigers.
    In 1968, Roland Whitehurst and Alton Coley scored Longview’s only scores of the night as Lufkin steamrolled the Lobos, 36-13, at Lobo Stadium. Ray Harper tallied twice for the Panthers.
    In 1985, Brian Williams and Thomas Snoddy broke a scoreline game in the third quarter with touchdowns before Jason Baird kicked a 27 yard field goal in the fourth in a 16-0 Lobo win over Pine Tree at Pirate Stadium.
    In 1991, Jason Dodson rushed in from a yard out with 1:43 to play to lift Longview past Marshall at Maverick Stadium, 20-15. John Washington and Andre Davis scored for the Lobos in a game that saw Roy Turner score a touchdown for Marshall in the third quarter before returning a fumbled football on defense 81 yards to put the Mavs ahead.
    In 1996, Marshall quarterback Scott Furrh threw for 323 yards and three touchdowns and rushed in from 1 yard out as he lifted the Mavericks to a 26-7 win over the Lobos at Maverick Stadium. Jay Hurst scored Longview’s only scored in the second quarter.
    In 2002, Joel Armstrong scored twice and Fred Hawkins rushed in from 30 yards out but the Lobos couldn’t overcome a 22-0 started by the Panthers as Lufkin knocked off Longview, 29-20, at Abe Martin Stadium.
    In 2013, Travis Howard returned a pint 45 yards for a score, before Jeremy Powell tallied twice and Dezmond Chumley threw for two scores in a 41-7 Lobo victory over Rockwall at Wilkerson-Sanders Memorial Stadium. The Lobo defense held Rockwall to 140 yards total on the night, as Longview built a 27-0 lead at halftime.
    Longview in a blow out
    81.25%
    Longview in a close one
    18.75%
    Mesquite in a close one
    0%
    Mesquite in a blow out
    0%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by LoboFan07; 11-05-2019, 12:48 PM.
    THE HISTORY OF LONGVIEW LOBO FOOTBALL

1937 1A, 2018 6A DIVISION II STATE CHAMPIONS
    5A Division 1, 2008 4A Division I, 2009 4A Division I State Finalst
    40 District Championships
    '47, '75, '10, '17 State Semi-Finalist
    '40, '86, '96, '02, '07, '15 State Quarterfinalist
    '04, '11, '12, '13 Regional Finalist
    '83, '85, '87, '89, '91, '93, '01, '06, '14 Area Finalist
    '24, '31, '34, '36, '42, '67, '72, '74, '76, '80, '84, '92, '03, '05, '16 Bi-District Finalist

Will get the game preview up later today. Go Lobos.

'24, '31, '34, '36, '42, '67, '72, '74, '76, '80, '84, '92, '03, '05, '16 Bi-District Finalist

Comment

Watch out for the Skeeter Freshman C team....😝

seriously tho - leave the wolf siren at home - there is a noise ordinance in Mesquite.

Best of luck to both teams - could be a nice night of football 🏈
      Last edited by Skeeterfan; 11-02-2019, 11:11 AM.

Comment

that’s a lot of wins...

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeterfan View Post
          Watch out for the Skeeter Freshman C team....😝

seriously tho - leave the wolf siren at home - there is a noise ordinance in Mesquite.

Best of luck to both teams - could be a nice night of football 🏈
          Don't you come in here with that targeting nonsense after the game either lol

I'm telling ya right now, our defense is on a whole other planet compared to our defense last year.

As for this game, I kinda see it going similar to last years game. Close for a moment, but Longview pulls away.

48-14 Lobos.

Comment

that’s a lot of wins...
            Lmao, whoops.

I was rushing to get it up before I left Longview this morning. Shall fix it when I get home.

What can ya tell us about your boys? 66 given up??

Comment

Originally posted by LoboFan07 View Post

Lmao, whoops.

I was rushing to get it up before I left Longview this morning. Shall fix it when I get home.

What can ya tell us about your boys? 66 given up??
              Two words - Jaxon Smith - that kid could wear a blindfold and still make a play on the ball.

Rockwall also has a pretty fast and squirmy RB.

They got up two scores really quick (tricksy onside kick after first score) - and stayed there -

Not really much else to say - LT had a good night, McGill had some good looks-

Quite a few holding penalties, some missed opportunities- but pretty much played the line (23 point underdog)

It was a nice clean game.

Rockwall was a nice host (despite the crappy visitors side of that stadium).

Comment

Originally posted by WP4L™ View Post
                Don't you come in here with that targeting nonsense after the game either lol

Well, some things said in the heat of passion should stay there.

On a related note - the Skeeter coaches (who read this forum [👋 coaches] and are way too smart) figured out my identity a few weeks ago. I no longer have the luxury of being just “a Skeeter fan”

Comment

Two words - Jaxon Smith - that kid could wear a blindfold and still make a play on the ball.

They got up two scores really quick (tricksy onside kick after first score) - and stayed there -

Quite a few holding penalties, some missed opportunities- but pretty much played the line (23 point underdog)

Why do you think it was such a disappoinment he got hurt on the first play in the Longview game. He makes everything go. We wouldn't have beaten Longview with him, but we would've been alot more competitive. He's not only the best WR in the state, he's the best player.

I just don't see how Mesquite will be able to stay close to LV. The Qb is a superior athlete, Turner is a top level RB, and the receivers are very physical and quite big out there blocking. But, Mesquite just can not throw the ball. McGill throws a nice ball, but the passing game is just not there. Trying to be a run only team is not going to work against Lobo D. I think it's going to go just like the Lee vs LV game. Mesquite won't move the ball just trying to run.

Comment

Bos by fiddy

Comment

Beat Mesquite.

Comment

I think both teams come out hard...for the first half or so. By that time, I see LV with at least a comfortable lead, at which time I would expect to see both teams start to rein things in. There is zero benefit of either team going balls out for all 4 qtrs of this game.

Comment

Right about Jaxon and as much as I hate to say it--there are quite a few other teams in the state that could beat Rockwall if Jaxon got hurt--not just Longview.Not making excuses for the loss to Longview BUT the fact is---Jaxon makes Rockwall tick--if you will.Also about the visitors side of Wilkerson-Sanders Stadium---about 6 years or so ago a school bond was presented to the voters to build a brand new stadium at a different location but the voters turned it down so the district did the best they could by building a new home side at the present location instead.Not only that to rub it in they approved one hellava giant swimming pool AKA--Natatorium-- which is the big building just pas the north endzone--lol.

Comment

Just curious to know what was crappy about the visitor's side? I've never been inside that stadium but pass by it on occasion and thought the stadium looks like a cool place for some Friday night lights.

Comment

Originally posted by DPaul View Post

Just curious to know what was crappy about the visitor's side? I've never been inside that stadium but pass by it on occasion and thought the stadium looks like a cool place for some Friday night lights.
                              Nothing.. Its the concessions/restrooms. The visitor side is small like nearly all the other visitor sides. Lol. Except Rose and Memorial. Lobo and Hanby are just as crappy. Wilkerson home side concourse is amazing. Two different concessions area and TVs while you're in line and don't miss the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X