A possible solution for playoff size disparity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A possible solution for playoff size disparity

There have been threads on here before bemoaning the size disparity among schools in 6A. Well, I got curious and started doing some research, and I think I may have found a possible solution. If you take the 32 largest teams (Not counting Allen; they are an outlier size-wise), there is a 60.2% increase in enrollment between the smallest school in that group (Cy-Fair) and the 2nd largest (Plano West). If you take the rest of the teams in 6A, there is a 63.5% increase in enrollment from the smallest (Naaman Forest) to the largest (Houston Bellaire). If we truly wanted to level the playing field, so to speak, then someone should propose to the UIL a 7A that consists of only those top 32 schools in enrollment. They could be placed in 4 8-team districts, with 4 teams from each district advancing.

Now, I know this would never happen. I just like to throw out crazy ideas.

Originally posted by DeSotoEaglesGrad View Post
    There have been threads on here before bemoaning the size disparity among schools in 6A. Well, I got curious and started doing some research, and I think I may have found a possible solution. If you take the 32 largest teams (Not counting Allen; they are an outlier size-wise), there is a 60.2% increase in enrollment between the smallest school in that group (Cy-Fair) and the 2nd largest (Plano West). If you take the rest of the teams in 6A, there is a 63.5% increase in enrollment from the smallest (Naaman Forest) to the largest (Houston Bellaire). If we truly wanted to level the playing field, so to speak, then someone should propose to the UIL a 7A that consists of only those top 32 schools in enrollment. They could be placed in 4 8-team districts, with 4 teams from each district advancing.

Travel will be thrown out as the objection. Like most things, people want the right to make their choices but don't want to bear the consequences of said choices.
    "Too often we honor swagger and bluster and the wielders of force; too often we excuse those who are willing to build their own lives on the shattered dreams of others"
    Robert Kennedy

My favorite quote from the Bush funeral - "Hatred corrodes the container it is carried in"

Comment

Originally posted by slcdragonfan View Post

Travel will be thrown out as the objection. Like most things, people want the right to make their choices but don't want to bear the consequences of said choices.
      That was my first thought as well.

Comment

I was about to ask what the traveling would be like with that type of district . Other than that, it’s not a horrible proposition.

Comment

I have been advocating something similar for years but to no avail!! Those really good 6A teams who have come across Allen in the playoffs know the unfair disparity of all of a sudden playing against a college-like football team---slightly unfair don't you think?

Comment

I actually agree with this. The West Texas schools have to travel so these mega schools can suck it up. Only ones that will grip would be the Schools set in large ISDs(In this.case Cy- Fair High out of Cy-Fair ISD)

Comment

Here's the problem with the proposal...

Based on that last realignment numbers, of the top 32 enrollments:

18 are from GHA
              11 are from DFW
              2 Odessa
              1 Laredo

Even if you excluded the 2 Odessa Schools + Laredo from 7A based on distance, and made 4 Districts out of the remaining 29 teams, you'd still end up with 1 district that would look something like this:

Skyline
              Duncanville
              Arlington Sam Houston
              Conroe
              Woodlands
              Atascocita

You'd still have Allen, Duncanville, and NS dominating without any of the likes of DeSoto, Trinity, SLC, Westlake, LT, Judson, Katy, etc... in those playoff brackets.

It might improve 6A a bit, but wouldn't make 7A particularly compelling.

Comment

Originally posted by DeSotoEaglesGrad View Post

Could you put up a mock 7A setup as to how the districts would look like?

Comment

Originally posted by JGTexasTough View Post

Could you put up a mock 7A setup as to how the districts would look like?
                  7A-1: Allen, Plano, Plano East, Plano West, Lewisville, Flower Mound, Hebron, Coppell
                  7A-2: Skyline, Duncanville, Arlington Sam Houston, Conroe, Woodlands, Atascocita
                  7A-3: Klein, Klein Collins, Klein Forrest, Klein Oak, Cy-Fair, Cy Woods, Katy Seven Lakes
                  7A-4: Alief Elsik, Alief Hastings, Houston MacArthur, Houston Benjamin Davis, North Shore, Dobie, Deer Park, Pearland

+ Laredo United, Odessa, Odessa Permian

Comment

Originally posted by bwgophers View Post

7A-1: Allen, Plano, Plano East, Plano West, Lewisville, Flower Mound, Hebron, Coppell
                    7A-2: Skyline, Duncanville, Arlington Sam Houston, Conroe, Woodlands, Atascocita
                    7A-3: Klein, Klein Collins, Klein Forrest, Klein Oak, Cy-Fair, Cy Woods, Katy Seven Lakes
                    7A-4: Alief Elsik, Alief Hastings, Houston MacArthur, Houston Benjamin Davis, North Shore, Dobie, Deer Park, Pearland

+ Laredo United, Odessa, Odessa Permian
                    Coach Gambrill said it best that no matter if you have a 7a or not it's still going to be pretty much the same 3-4 teams facing each other in the championship game with less depth. Let's be serious here out of all those teams listed only about 4 or 5 would we now consider legit title contenders (Allen/Duncanville/Woodlands/NorthShore/Atascocita

Comment

Travel would be prohibitive. Teams in the west say we have to travel so why not let the big schools travel too. There is a big difference between traveling several hours on a bus in no traffic and several hours in heavy traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by EASTHOUSTONFOOTBALL View Post

Coach Gambrill said it best that no matter if you have a 7a or not it's still going to be pretty much the same 3-4 teams facing each other in the championship game with less depth. Let's be serious here out of all those teams listed only about 4 or 5 would we now consider legit title contenders (Allen/Duncanville/Woodlands/NorthShore/Atascocita
                        Wrong---every last one of them would be in contention since there would be fewer teams to beat before the SC game.Also the whole point would be to make it more fair,right?If you are going to have the same 3-4 teams in the SC game it could at least be fair competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Corsifan View Post
                          Travel would be prohibitive. Teams in the west say we have to travel so why not let the big schools travel too. There is a big difference between traveling several hours on a bus in no traffic and several hours in heavy traffic.
                          Perhaps the prohibitive travel for the metro mega schools would force them to reconsider the size of their school and they would downsize.

Comment

Originally posted by vtcat View Post

Perhaps the prohibitive travel for the metro mega schools would force them to reconsider the size of their school and they would downsize.
                            Why don't we just move them to the west so they can travel more easily?

Comment

Originally posted by vtcat View Post

Wrong---every last one of them would be in contention since there would be fewer teams to beat before the SC game.Also the whole point would be to make it more fair,right?If you are going to have the same 3-4 teams in the SC game it could at least be fair competition.
                              Not so because then what you would have done is shrinking the talent pool. 90% of those teams are mediocre at best...now the 6A would be a lot better but I don't see the benefits of it for 7A

Comment

Working...
                              X