Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas, the last frontier of HS Football.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas, the last frontier of HS Football.

Haven't been super involved with high school football since 2013 other than reading the message boards a few times a week. This one being my most visited high school board, I do however dabble into the national scene. I'm very much into college football (Hook 'Em) so I like to keep up with where the elite recruits are and what not. The reason I title this thread with the words I've chosen, is the traditional HSFB experience other than in Texas and parts of Ohio is essentially dead or completely *******ized. Thank God for the minds at the UIL for not allowing the Private's and the Public's to be in the same league as all you have to do is look around and see how watered down that has made other states.

Texas has some blame in this direction of HSFB just simply due to the fact of all the innovation that has taken place here. We, and our kids are incredibly fortunate to be a part of some districts that have outstanding facilities and coaching. Texas has revolutionized the game with implementing the spread offense and its variances along with 7v7 summer leagues for team building and timing. It has definitely put our kids at the top of the food chain.

Enough of my rambling, the point to this thread was, 1. to be thankful there is still "mostly" pure football played in TX 2. to reflect on how ridiculous things have gotten in HS athletics. As I was scrolling through the various forums I frequent (I spent some time living in Arizona) so I keep up with it a little bit. A damn 8th grader put out a tweet committing to a private HS as if he were signing an LOI to Ohio State....... California, New Jersey, Nevada, Florida, Most of Ohio all have these well known private schools that at anytime can come scoop up a collection of local kids and dominate their league. Arizona is a completely open enrollment state for their public's, you can go anywhere you want.

TLDR; HS football has lost its soul and thank God it hasn't infected Texas........ Yet.

it's creeping in brother, we need the draft reinstated! Two years of Civil Service
    "We tested 40’s yesterday to see who CAN make plays We test 300’s today to see who WILL make plays" - Chad Worrell, HC Brock

Never stop being positive because of negative people..... Never stop being excellent because of average people..... Never stop being a believer because of the doubters.

Comment

Originally posted by chhspantherfan View Post
      it's creeping in brother, we need the draft reinstated! Two years of Civil Service
      Definitely, I've seen the shady doings of certain schools. And the open transfer season. These coaches and kids are so ignorant and hungry to get that scholarship it's pathetic. The last time I went to a few games was 2016 and could definitely tell interest has waned. Hell just use our schools as an example from 1996-2008 if Grapevine and Colleyville were 8-1 vs 9-0 it would have been standing room only. That exact situation happened and the stadium was half full.

Luckily there are still some checks and balances in TX that kind of prevent that (even though there are quite a few main stays) It's nice to see the San Angelo Central's, Haltom City, Tascosa's of the world. Kids don't play this game so they can go get ran over by a recruited up allstar team to showcase loaded talent and the supposed competitive balance we all know is bullsh*t.

Comment

Private schools are big in California because parents don’t want to send their kids to whacky California public schools. In Texas a kid can get a quality education from a public high school, not so much in California.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustangman21 View Post

Definitely, I've seen the shady doings of certain schools. And the open transfer season. These coaches and kids are so ignorant and hungry to get that scholarship it's pathetic. The last time I went to a few games was 2016 and could definitely tell interest has waned. Hell just use our schools as an example from 1996-2008 if Grapevine and Colleyville were 8-1 vs 9-0 it would have been standing room only. That exact situation happened and the stadium was half full.

Luckily there are still some checks and balances in TX that kind of prevent that (even though there are quite a few main stays) It's nice to see the San Angelo Central's, Haltom City, Tascosa's of the world. Kids don't play this game so they can go get ran over by a recruited up allstar team to showcase loaded talent and the supposed competitive balance we all know is bullsh*t.
          What’s amazing to me, is the kids that went to the military and are now back are among the best new citizens. And I am involved enough to know.
          "We tested 40’s yesterday to see who CAN make plays We test 300’s today to see who WILL make plays" - Chad Worrell, HC Brock

Never stop being positive because of negative people..... Never stop being excellent because of average people..... Never stop being a believer because of the doubters.

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlue View Post
            Private schools are big in California because parents don’t want to send their kids to whacky California public schools. In Texas a kid can get a quality education from a public high school, not so much in California.
            That's fine. Private schools certainly have their place. Competing against public schools as peers is not one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustangman21 View Post

That's fine. Private schools certainly have their place. Competing against public schools as peers is not one of them.
              Why?

Comment

I only know of two privates here in Texas ( that matter ) that have joined UIL. Dallas Jesuit and Strake Jesuit. Both are all male. So their enrollment numbers are doubled for purposes of classification. There was a lot of fear about their recruiting. But essentially, that's what privates are all about. Both have been competitive. Neither has probably done much more recruiting than some public schools in truth. And neither is anywhere close to dominant, in football at least.

Comment

Originally posted by LT-CAV-Fan View Post
                  I only know of two privates here in Texas ( that matter ) that have joined UIL. Dallas Jesuit and Strake Jesuit. Both are all male. So their enrollment numbers are doubled for purposes of classification. There was a lot of fear about their recruiting. But essentially, that's what privates are all about. Both have been competitive. Neither has probably done much more recruiting than some public schools in truth. And neither is anywhere close to dominant, in football at least.
                  agreed, I don't see the private schools as big a threat as the E-Gaming teams.

Comment

FWIW, I do think Georgia is similar to Texas both in their community support and publics still rule (although they have a little more lax transfer policies). Pretty much anywhere else I can think of that has highly competitive football is dominated by privates and/or mercenary players that transfer whichever way the wind is blowing strongest.

Comment

Originally posted by Coco View Post
                      FWIW, I do think Georgia is similar to Texas both in their community support and publics still rule (although they have a little more lax transfer policies). Pretty much anywhere else I can think of that has highly competitive football is dominated by privates and/or mercenary players that transfer whichever way the wind is blowing strongest.
                      Exactly! MGoBlue The two entities don't operate even close to the same manner or mission. One has a student base with well drawn out borders, the other has enrollment open to whoever can afford it/get a scholarship. I don't see how you can't come to the same conclusion? The Jesuit's are very regulated by the UIL, if I remember correctly there were a lot of rules put in place to even allow them to join.

Comment

I agree 100%. One of the things I'm most proud of Texas high school football was the number of Longview fans who were at the championship game. How many fans from Houston Strake Jesuit would they have brought?

Comment

Working...
                        X